Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kids replica kits

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I know this is an age old thing that’s been gone over many times before, but I’ve just experienced again how criminal the price of kids replica kits really are.

My 6, nearly 7, year old has asked for the new away kit for Christmas. I’m absolutely gutted that I’m not going to be getting it for him though as it would cost £75! That is absolute, daylight robbery.

My 4 year old wants the home kit - £42 - still ridiculous but more palatable than £75 for a 6 year olds kit, unbelievable. The clubs and kit suppliers, or whoever’s responsible for the pricing really should be ashamed of themselves.

Edit: just noticed, he wanted White - 3 - on the back, if I’d done that as well it would have been £87! I’m staggered.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yep, and then two or three new kits released next year with this year's binned.

Rampant capitalism and a fvck the environment culture well and truly alive in football.
We're screwed

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Out of touch with supporters a days work for many just to buy a couple of kids kits is shameful. The next generation of fans will be spoilt rich kids who’s parents could afford the kits and all the other extortionate rubbish.

*shudder* Barbers dream fans.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I know this is an age old thing that’s been gone over many times before, but I’ve just experienced again how criminal the price of kids replica kits really are.

My 6, nearly 7, year old has asked for the new away kit for Christmas. I’m absolutely gutted that I’m not going to be getting it for him though as it would cost £75! That is absolute, daylight robbery.

My 4 year old wants the home kit - £42 - still ridiculous but more palatable than £75 for a 6 year olds kit, unbelievable. The clubs and kit suppliers, or whoever’s responsible for the pricing really should be ashamed of themselves.

Edit: just noticed, he wanted White - 3 - on the back, if I’d done that as well it would have been £87! I’m staggered.

Pm sent

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Agreed.

I get that there are still associated design/setup costs with producing any kit, regardless of the size. But I'd be really interested in the margin the club takes on the kids replicas vs. the adults. You'd like to think that the (still ridiculous) 52 quid we pay for the adults kits could help bring down the cost of the kids stuff.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agreed.

I get that there are still associated design/setup costs with producing any kit, regardless of the size. But I'd be really interested in the margin the club takes on the kids replicas vs. the adults. You'd like to think that the (still ridiculous) 52 quid we pay for the adults kits could help bring down the cost of the kids stuff.

Think EP said on the PoF podcast that the club get an upfront fee and then about 7% of each unit sold. So to put it in perspective, notwithstanding the up front fee, if 20k of shirts were sold at £50 a pop the club are getting £70k for that!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I get it - it is expensive, but it is a major income stream for the club.

It is the socks that wind me up, though. My six year old has the orange goalie kit with his name on. Our goalie kits and away kits under nike have tended to be teamwear, meaning that the exact same socks can generally be purchased from somewhere like pro direct for about a third of the price.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I get it - it is expensive, but it is a major income stream for the club.

It is the socks that wind me up, though. My six year old has the orange goalie kit with his name on. Our goalie kits and away kits under nike have tended to be teamwear, meaning that the exact same socks can generally be purchased from somewhere like pro direct for about a third of the price.
Not sure how to take your opening sentence, are you saying supporters should be happy they are getting utterly rinsed on replica shirts prices because the club make a few quid ???

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Not sure how to take your opening sentence, are you saying supporters should be happy they are getting utterly rinsed on replica shirts prices because the club make a few quid ???

No, not at all. I'm just saying that I totally understand why clubs charge a huge amount for replica kit. However, I do toally agree about the price of kid's kits, especially now I have kids of my own... I have shirts from nearly 20 years ago that are still wearable, so I can sort of justify the cost.

Whereas with my kids, I know that if I spend a load on a shirt or mini-kit, it will no longer fit in a year's time. It feels like a much, much more extortionate thing to buy.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Something has to pay for the players we watch, the stadium we sit in. That said, I agree the prices are much higher than I would prefer to pay.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Something has to pay for the players we watch, the stadium we sit in. That said, I agree the prices are much higher than I would prefer to pay.
Nike make most of the money from replica shirts, the sponsorship fees are far more likely to pay for players etc.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
This is why we have said our boy cant have a kit this year! He has one every year so far with his name on but this year, its just too much money!

For the price of one kit, we can use that for quite a few other bits of clothing he needs!

Also, the other thing we haven't mentioned here is the quality, our son is 6, his shirt from 2 seasons ago, the badge was stuck on and came off after a couple of washes and he didn't want to wear it again! So you pay premium prices for a far inferior product!!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
extremely over priced crap

Which is sad.

THe 100% cotton Bukta shirt I bought a while back was half the price of a 'replica' Its good quality, well made, comfortable to wear and looks a darn sight better. Given it is named/badged I hope the club get something.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This is, I'm afraid, an example of pure greed. Ask the club how much the landed cost of each shirt is and they won't tell you because then the world will know just how much profit they are making.

The reason why the kit is constantly being revamped is to rinse the fans, particularly those with young kids who naturally want the "new kit" every year. Added to which is the fact that kids grow out of their kit so quickly.

It showed with PPV just what power the fans have. It would be great if we would refuse to buy the next new kit when it is released but it isn't going to happen and all the time fans are prepared to pay the extortionately high prices for kids kits, the club is going to be happy to keep charging.

Sadly just another reflection of how football is slowly but surely killing itself.

D

Deleted member 2719

If only they gave away a Free shirt at let's say 7 years old, maybe the parents would feel duty-bound to buy their kids shirts, games and everything related to the Albion for decades.

Just an idea.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
If only they gave away a Free shirt at let's say 7 years old, maybe the parents would feel duty-bound to buy their kids shirts, games and everything related to the Albion for decades.

Just an idea.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Regardless of the "they've got to make profit" and "if you don't like it, don't buy it" arguments.

Can we all agree that if a six year old wants a Brighton kit with a players name on the back, it should not cost EIGHTY SEVEN POUNDS.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
kids shirts should be pretty much at cost. It's fishing .

there are grown ups happy to live and sweat in recycled plastic from the club shop and pay top whack for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here