Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion call for EPL match time keepers

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I couldn’t see this covered elsewhere on NSC?.

99ECFC74-CBC6-485D-B853-BBDCD71753E9.png

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18873766.call-premier-league-introduce-time-keepers/

I’ve wanted this arrangement for many seasons, as in Rugby Union. It shouldn’t be left to the ref who has other distractions. They wander over to purportedly injured players, then later if and when they see fit, they stop the watch. Whilst stoppage time goals seem to lead to a wildly different amounts of additional added time. Go a goal down against a Dyche, Warnock or Pulis team, and every possibly technique is employed to maximise the time the ball isn’t in play.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I couldn’t see this covered elsewhere on NSC?.

View attachment 130500

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18873766.call-premier-league-introduce-time-keepers/

I’ve wanted this arrangement for many seasons, as in Rugby Union. It shouldn’t be left to the ref who has other distractions. They wander over to purportedly injured players, then later if and when they see fit, they stop the watch. Whilst stoppage time goals seem to lead to a wildly different amounts of additional added time. Go a goal down against a Dyche, Warnock or Pulis team, and every possibly technique is employed to maximise the time the ball isn’t in play.

Fully support that idea. Thirty minutes each way (with the ball actually in play) is the way to go. Can we go for that and ditch VAR?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I honestly think we need to do away with match day decisions. If the match can instead simply be recorded, then sent to a football 'forensic' lab for analysis afterwards and then all the decisions can be thoroughly investigated, debated and decided, with the result then being released 72hrs later.

Surely this would be 'fairer' and more 'accurate' to ensure 'correct' results at all times? It would also improve the flow of the game because players, knowing there's no point celebrating, contesting etc thus saving time and enabling more 'play'. Because we have the 'technology' and 'technology' is the always answer in combination with 'it works in other sports, so will automatically be amazing if adopted' to everything that's 'unfair' in football.

I'm all for it. Especially given there's still a remaining enjoyment pip to squeeze the life out of when it comes to football tradition and a sporting contest. CGI crowds next, they could be swapped at half time enabling more revenue and paying 'fans' to be in 'attendance' at the worlds greatest ever sporting contest ever ever in association with nobody cares global brands: the EPL!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If the VAR nonsense is to continue, with decisions taking 3-4 minutes, then it has to come in.
Some kind of meaningful sanction for time wasting should be implemented at the same time.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If the VAR nonsense is to continue, with decisions taking 3-4 minutes, then it has to come in.
Some kind of meaningful sanction for time wasting should be implemented at the same time.

When on earth are 'we' going to learn?!!

They will **** this up too, and don't you believe it'll do anything other than cause more contention and ruin even more of what's left of the formally known as enjoyment factor.

We need to stop messing with the once beautiful game. It's increasingly looking like a group of University Challenge contestants, and about as interesting too.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Will it be a 5th referee timing it? It seems to me nearly all refs are incompetent including var refs, so bound to be a complete **** up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I honestly think we need to do away with match day decisions. If the match can instead simply be recorded, then sent to a football 'forensic' lab for analysis afterwards and then all the decisions can be thoroughly investigated, debated and decided, with the result then being released 72hrs later.

Surely this would be 'fairer' and more 'accurate' to ensure 'correct' results at all times? It would also improve the flow of the game because players, knowing there's no point celebrating, contesting etc thus saving time and enabling more 'play'. Because we have the 'technology' and 'technology' is the always answer in combination with 'it works in other sports, so will automatically be amazing if adopted' to everything that's 'unfair' in football.

I'm all for it. Especially given there's still a remaining enjoyment pip to squeeze the life out of when it comes to football tradition and a sporting contest. CGI crowds next, they could be swapped at half time enabling more revenue and paying 'fans' to be in 'attendance' at the worlds greatest ever sporting contest ever ever in association with nobody cares global brands: the EPL!

Someone else managing the clock works seamlessly in rugby union. You wouldn’t know about it, except when it’s approaching 40 or 80 minutes, or there’s a stoppage. The ref simply has to mandatorily stop the clock at each stoppage.

This wouldn’t affect the traditional flow of football in the slightest, in fact we might see more play with the epochs lost to cheating teams or incompetent refs, not eating into valuable play time.

It really doesn’t carry the controversies of VAR.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Long been an advocate. There is no added time. The clock is stopped on injuries and also bouts of time wasting.

It will take a while to get used to. But folks would see its benefits very quickly.

A possibility, not sure how folk feel, would be that the match ends once the ball goes out of play after time is up. That way a team attacking can continue to do so until play is broken by the opposition.

I think if we had grown up with this it would never have been challenged.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I would wholeheartedly support this. It would eradicate time wasting in about a fortnight.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Someone else managing the clock works seamlessly in rugby union. You wouldn’t know about it, except when it’s approaching 40 or 80 minutes, or there’s a stoppage. The ref simply has to mandatorily stop the clock at each stoppage.

This wouldn’t affect the traditional flow of football in the slightest, in fact we might see more play with the epochs lost to cheating teams or incompetent refs, not eating into valuable play time.

It really doesn’t carry the controversies of VAR.

If it can be, the FA etc WILL feck it up. Of that I am certain.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I once naively thought it was the fourth official’s job to be the time keeper. Why isn’t it?
The 4th official shows the minimum added time, so he must be monitoring the time, you'd presume.
I remember watching the WBA game and a blonde woman in a white face mask actually programed the extra time board and put 3 fingers up to someone in the stand, showing the time to be added. I've no idea if she was clock watching.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The 4th official shows the minimum added time, so he must be monitoring the time, you'd presume.
I remember watching the WBA game and a blonde woman in a white face mask actually programed the extra time board and put 3 fingers up to someone in the stand, showing the time to be added. I've no idea if she was clock watching.

The ref decides how long is added time, communicating it to the fourth official.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Long been an advocate. There is no added time. The clock is stopped on injuries and also bouts of time wasting.

It will take a while to get used to. But folks would see its benefits very quickly.

A possibility, not sure how folk feel, would be that the match ends once the ball goes out of play after time is up. That way a team attacking can continue to do so until play is broken by the opposition.

I think if we had grown up with this it would never have been challenged.

Out of interest, what do you classify as wasting time?

With regard to the OP, I've always been in favour of independent time keepers. Don't agree with reducing the game to 60 minutes though. I bet a sunday league team play more longer with the ball in play than premier league teams. A match is 45 minutes, lets keep it that way. If players know they can't get away with wasting time then they won't.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I've been advocating this for years - it will eradicate time wasting immediately.

35 or possibly 40 minutes each half, with the clock automatically stopping every time the ball goes out of play/free-kick/goal kick/corner/booking/sub/goal/injury etc. etc.

Clock counts down, it's really not hard to implement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here