Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 2719

There are many thing I dislike about Lewis, but as he was maturing, I was ready to get behind him.

But then he blew it on backing the left wing movement of BLM.

So it's a NO from me.

* Please note I won't be drawn into the political BLM rant on this thread to ruin it for Icy, but those are my feelings. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Always amazes me how many people on twitter etc. don't like him, but when pressed for a reason just say "there's something about him" or something "they can't quite put their finger on"

Indeed.

And I'm sure they could put their finger on it if properly pressed. . . . .

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So is he a hypocrite or not?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
There’s a definite hint of racism about this thread. His sporting achievements put him ahead of almost anyone we have ever seen in this country and people are saying he shouldn’t be knighted.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
There are many thing I dislike about Lewis, but as he was maturing, I was ready to get behind him.

So it's a NO from me.

* Please note I won't be drawn into the political BLM rant on this thread to ruin it for Icy, but those are my feelings. :thumbsup:

Exactly Mouldy, the honours system is an antiquated load of koala shit from the days when we raped, pillaged, subjugated and slaughtered our way around the world in the name of the Empire. Why would anyone like Marcus Rashford or Lewis Hamilton want to be associated with that criminal, racist legacy is beyond both you and me. We’ll leave the grown ups to debate it while we slink off back to the bear pit. See you there. Chin chin.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

So it's a NO from me.

Lewis came out with a perfectly reasonable statement about his support for the equality message of BLM but not the political aspect of it (in any way).

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He is one of the top 5000 tax payers in the country and he does not earn all his money out of England. But let’s beat him with that stick, probably pays more in a year than most people earn in their lifetime.

Never heard a word said about Jenson Button or David Coulthard living in Monaco, funny that. So many Brits absolutely detest winners, not a nice trait.

I don’t like to suggest racism but....
Spot on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So is he a hypocrite or not?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Apparently he's one of the UK's top 5000 tax payers, and he has not villified the likes of Coulthard for living in Monaco so, no. No he isn't.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He can drive a car faster than any of his competitors and goes of to his tax haven home in Monaco ? Knighthoods are given away in present times, so a "NO" from me !!

In every era, revered Brits (many knighted) live in the low/no tax territories of Florida or The Bahamas, Monaco or Switzerland. To name just a few: Connery, Roger Moore, Jackie Stewart, Coulthard, Button, Phil Collins, Faldo, Poulter, Mansell.

But I’ve only ever seen Hamilton criticised for this on NSC, it crops up every time.

What sets him apart from the others?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
In every era, revered Brits (many knighted) live in the low/no tax territories of Florida or The Bahamas, Monaco or Switzerland. To name just a few: Connery, Roger Moore, Jackie Stewart, Coulthard, Button, Phil Collins, Faldo, Poulter, Mansell.

But I’ve only ever seen Hamilton criticised for this on NSC, it crops up every time.

It's a tricky one isn't it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Putting aside my personal thoughts on the whole honours system, if it is consistent with what has gone before then - yes - Lewis should get the knighthood.

At a time when it is embarrassing to be British he is still there, doing his thing and reinforcing the idea that we can still produce excellence.

This, completely and absolutely.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Given Knighthoods can be bought, and he’s very rich, yes I don’t see why not. Also ticks the diversity box, especially if they cite his struggle against all the odds in apartheid Britain.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I know this one, he hasn't beaten or cheated on his partner yet ?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I can't stick Lewis Hamilton just a bit too pleased with himself for my taste but you cannot argue with the achievement and compared to some of the ******** we have knighted he is positively saintly so its a yes from me if he wants one and personally I wouldn't (Other than the allowance from the HoL would would come in handy)

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
For his achievements....most certainly. The most successful driver in F1 history. How this thread has descended into a political binfest is beyond me. I've always said if Lewis was Spanish, Italian....any other nationality other than English he would be treated like a God in his home country. In Britain we RIP all our successful sporting heroes to pieces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here