Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Who knows about tellyboxes ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My new house has got a bigger living room and I find my 42' tellybox a bit small now (I know it's not small, just further away).
I'm thinking of going up to a 55".
Looking to buy from John Lewis (as they give a 5y waranty) and got a budget up to £600.
What should I get (or avoid) ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The thing I firstly look for is a matte screen, so as to avoid reflections. Don't pay extra or get suckered into going anywhere beyond a 5 year warranty (or monthly d/d), TVs are absolutely bombproof these days. Stick with a decent manufacturer but you don't need to go mad - LG and Samsung are perfectly excellent TV brands.

I've been waiting for my 7 year old 42" Panasonic LED to pack up as I'd like to go LARGE, but can't really justify it while its still going strong. I still might next year though, we've saved bundles of cash in these lockdowns!

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
If Smart TV capability is important to you, it is common for some manufacturers to cease to support some apps on their older models, e.g. older LG TV’s seem not to work with the Now TV app. By all accounts Samsung are good at continuing to support apps.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The best TV’s around your price, independently tested by the Consumers Association.

6DA96CC5-8AB4-42FB-90AE-EE7B02D4CC09.png

C35A3036-28FF-4422-845A-6813C08DBECC.png

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
My advice would be to take care your tv doesn’t dominate your room , if it does it can look a bit chavtastic.

One of my friends had a 55 inch in one of their rooms which was roughly 18 ft by 15 ft and it looked ridiculous, all you could see was the tv as soon as you walked in .

I would say for a 55inch the room needs to be 25ft by 18ft for it to blend in and not dominate the room .

My friend who has a loft in NY has a 65 inch but the main living space must be at least 40 ft by about 30ft so it looks quite normal because the space is big .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My new house has got a bigger living room and I find my 42' tellybox a bit small now (I know it's not small, just further away).
Looking to buy from John Lewis (as they give a 5y waranty) and got a budget up to £600.

613C6368-E427-4A3E-94AD-A31859EF296A.jpeg

:) :whistle:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember the days when having a 21 inch was a status thing.

The eyes always adjust. 42 inches should be more than enough.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Size is important - see
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/what-size-tv-should-i-buy/what-size-tv-should-i-buy
Once you have worked out the right size for your room, buy an LG. If you want to know which one, ask Which and.or RicherSounds (as stated above)
Bought a new TV a couple of months ago - our viewing distance is 4.1m and we decided to just go big and got a 75inch - its awesome!

Another vote for Richer Sounds and don't forget that the picture on the TV will be dependent on the quality of the "Signal" pumped into it. An SD channel and it will be pants but the 4k up scaling of HD is really good. Some of the UHD content on Sky is a lot better, but not as good as the specific UHD content downloadable from Netflix, Youtube etc..

Another thing to note, if you go into Currys all the tellys will look amazing but the OLED ones more so - they show specially shot and mastered content precisely for this purpose. Go into Richer Sounds and they just display a bog standard Sky signal - they won't sell something that is artificially made to look better than your current standard viewing experience.

And if you can get a Phillips Ambilight, I can highly recommend...

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I remember the days when having a 21 inch was a status thing.

The eyes always adjust. 42 inches should be more than enough.

I had a 12" B&W sony with a coat hangar arial in my bedroom for the world cup in '86 . . . . ( volume turned right down for Linekars hatrick vs Poland as it was a school night! ) picture was great.

We have a 50 odd inch TV . . . I sit over 20 feet away at the dining table most of the time, people on TV are life size usually . . . If I sit on the settee about 12 feet away it can be a bit in your face

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Am I the only one who doesn’t like a mahoosive t.v.?

Both my son’s have 60 inch plus monsters, mounted on the wall, and I really don’t like them.
They both have fairly large rooms, so the tellys don’t look out of place, I just find them too big to look at.

I am thinking of moving up from my 32 inch one next time, a 40’’ maybe.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham

I have just ordered one of these for my new place, the reviews are consistently excellent for your budget. I had the same model but 4 years older and it’s been superb and is still going strong. Can’t beat the quality for the price.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...vuLfAwdyaGTFHM-8eD8aAiN7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here