Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do we do about Ireland/NI, Tariff Free deal and Fishing

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
We are where we are and whatever has happened in the past is history. These are the three main issues which we, as a nation, have to resolve within the next couple of weeks.

1. What is going to happen about the Ireland/NI border ?
The withdrawal agreement had an Irish Sea border, but the Government have now said there will be no Irish sea procedures or documentation and the EU are accusing us of breaking International Law, so where should the border between the UK and EU be ?

2. What is going to happen about a tariff free deal ?
Why would the EU allow us tariff free access to all their huge markets with no control to stop our companies undercutting their companies by changing 'our' rules on Government subsidies, Animal welfare, Safety, Worker welfare, additives, preservatives etc etc ? The so-called Level Playing Field.

3 What is going to happen about fishing.
Given that the fishing industry exports the majority of it's catch, is tariff free access to the EU critical to the whole industry going forward ? And, given that it's a smaller part of the UK economy than Harrod's, how much consideration should be given to it.

'No Deal' could be a solution to 2 & 3, but at quite significant cost and still doesn't resolve 1.

These have to be resolved in the next couple of weeks, and neither myself or [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] could come up with any suggested solutions that would resolve these.

It really doesn't matter what you voted or what anyone else did. Can anyone suggest a solution ?

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
And as [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] pointed out elsewhere, Theresa May's Customs Union also resolved points 2 & 3 but not 1. In order to resolve 1, she also required the backstop in NI as part of her solution.

Any other suggestions ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There is no good outcome for the UK from here, Johnson's cavalier approach to our Union of nations is coming home to roost

If there is a deal it will be thin and good for EU exporters of goods but terrible for UK services plus there's a customs border in the Irish sea, its ECJ for NI but not for GB, that will be fun. Still convinced Johnson didn't read the WA he signed up to, what a wally

If its no deal its bad news for Europe but worse for UK (1 of us, 27 of them), its not rocket science. Breaking International law and pissing off the new US president who is Irish and actually understands what the GFA is, what could go wrong? The Tories can try and blame the EU, JK Rowling, Gina Miller, Gary Lineker etc... that might go down well with English nativist DM readers but it won't change anything

Will Johnson run away now his has lot his surrogate brain?

Scottish Independence seems like quite an easy sell

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
3 things to remember:

1. We hold all the aces.
2. German car manufacturers need us more than we need them.
3. We hold all the aces.

Jan 30, 2008
There is no good outcome for the UK from here, Johnson's cavalier approach to our Union of nations is coming home to roost

If there is a deal it will be thin and good for EU exporters of goods but terrible for UK services plus there's a customs border in the Irish sea, its ECJ for NI but not for GB, that will be fun. Still convinced Johnson didn't read the WA he signed up to, what a wally

If its no deal its bad news for Europe but worse for UK (1 of us, 27 of them), its not rocket science. Breaking International law and pissing off the new US president who is Irish, what could go wrong? The Tories can try and blame the EU, JK Rowling, Gina Miller, Gary Lineker etc... that might go down well with English nativist DM readers but it won't change anything

Life must be a drag, chin up life moves on ,forget about the EU they're old news now
Regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

If its no deal its bad news for Europe but worse for UK (1 of us, 27 of them), its not rocket science. Breaking International law and pissing off the new US president who is Irish, what could go wrong? The Tories can try and blame the EU, JK Rowling, Gina Miller, Gary Lineker etc... that might go down well with English nativist DM readers but it won't change anything

Just to make sure I have understood this fully, your suggested solution is as follows.

1. You are suggesting that the Government goes back to what was agreed in the Withdrawal Agreement, abandons the Internal Market bill and puts the border in the Irish Sea together with the processes and documentation they said that they would not introduce.

2. In order to get even a skinny tariff free deal they will need to U-turn and accept the Level Playing Field regulations covering Government subsidies, Animal welfare, Safety, Worker welfare, additives, preservatives etc etc.

3. I'm not sure that you have suggested any solution to the Fishing Issue.

Again I can see that these suggestions would provide solutions to 1 & 2, but this would mean the Government doing a complete U-turn from it's current position. I don't know whether that would happen, but I guess we'll find out in the next couple of weeks.

Please can you keep your replies to suggested solutions to the three factual issues, rather than personal views on the process or Governments handling of the process. I'd like to think that people of whichever political persuasion now understand the major issues and would be thinking about solutions - Thanks :thumbsup:.

And simply ignore all morons who are incapable of contributing to the UK.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We are where we are and whatever has happened in the past is history. These are the three main issues which we, as a nation, have to resolve within the next couple of weeks.

The withdrawal agreement had an Irish Sea border, but the Government have now said there will be no Irish sea procedures or documentation and the EU are accusing us of breaking International Law, so where should the border between the UK and EU be ?

Why would the EU allow us tariff free access to all their huge markets with no control to stop our companies undercutting their companies by changing 'our' rules on Government subsidies, Animal welfare, Safety, Worker welfare, additives, preservatives etc etc ? The so-called Level Playing Field.

Given that the fishing industry exports the majority of it's catch, is tariff free access to the EU critical to the whole industry going forward ? And, given that it's a smaller part of the UK economy than Harrod's, how much consideration should be given to it.

'No Deal' could be a solution to 2 & 3, but at quite significant cost and still doesn't resolve 1.

These have to be resolved in the next couple of weeks, and neither myself or [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] could come up with any suggested solutions that would resolve these.

It really doesn't matter what you voted or what anyone else did. Can anyone suggest a solution ?

Good thread , why did you start it in the snake pit though, it’s seems a fair question?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just to make sure I have understood this fully, your suggested solution is as follows.

1. You are suggesting that the Government goes back to what was agreed in the Withdrawal Agreement, abandons the Internal Market bill and puts the border in the Irish Sea together with the processes and documentation they said that they would not introduce.

2. In order to get even a skinny tariff free deal they will need to U-turn and accept the Level Playing Field regulations covering Government subsidies, Animal welfare, Safety, Worker welfare, additives, preservatives etc etc.

3. I'm not sure that you have suggested any solution to the Fishing Issue.

Again I can see that these suggestions would provide solutions to 1 & 2, but this would mean the Government doing a complete U-turn from it's current position. I don't know whether that would happen, but I guess we'll find out in the next couple of weeks.

Please can you keep your replies to suggested solutions to the three factual issues, rather than personal views on the process or Governments handling of the process. I'd like to think that people of whichever political persuasion now understand the major issues and would be thinking about solutions - Thanks :thumbsup:.

And simply ignore all morons who are incapable of contributing to the UK.

Think on the fishing EU might budge a bit with this can getting kicked down the road. Yes it would need to U-turn or capitulation on the level playing field, this is quite possible. The answer to the question is who controls Johnson's brain now with Cummins gone?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Good thread , why did you start it in the snake pit though, it’s seems a fair question?

Possibly because posts, 3, 5, 8, 10, & 12, recurring, would have ultimately destined this place as a home. This is a shame as intelligent discourse again hijacked by the usual suspect/s

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

It might save the mods time. I have a funny suspicion that if I started a Brexit based thread it would be in the pit before the first reply, completely unjustifiably of course :wink:

But I do believe the vast majority from all political persuasions want to know what is going to happen, and it's now very clear where the issues are so I (and I believe most others) am interested in what the real options are.

People who are capable of mature discussions will simply ignore those who are quite evidently not.

If any mod would like to move it to the main board, I would be quite happy for it to be moved.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I do believe something will get sorted, it always does when big money is involved but there will be a lot of chaos before that happens.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I could solve it in the time it takes to write this post.

Join EFTA, remain outside the EU and have a multi-year transitional Norway-type deal while we take the necessary time to negotiate a Switzerland-type deal.

It's not difficult.

Unfortunately I'm not the one solving this so they have to own the mess themselves.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I could solve it in the time it takes to write this post.

Join EFTA, remain outside the EU and have a multi-year transitional Norway-type deal while we take the necessary time to negotiate a Switzerland-type deal.

It's not difficult.

Unfortunately I'm not the one solving this so they have to own the mess themselves.

Covers 1 & 2, but unfortunately only part of 3, as it doesn't cover Fishery policy, just trade in Fish products. However it does cover the two major issues of NI/Ireland and the Trade deal. If you were to say fishery policy stays as is, or bump the fishery policy back into the long grass again, it is a solution albeit with that caveat :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here