Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Central Heating

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Any heating experts out there?

we have a pressurised system with mega flow tank, and a crap Potterton Promax boiler that’s about 12 years old and annually maintained.

it’s been a rubbish boiler over the years and have been thankful we had a service contract as it’s had just about everything replaced 2 or 3 times over the years along with variance pumps, valves timers etc etc all covered.

The problems are many,

I am constantly bleeding the upstairs rads, yet sitting in the conservatory where we have two of the upright type radiators we suddenly get what sounds like tons of air rushing in. Yet when opening the bleed valve nothing comes out.

Before the boiler fires up it should like loads of air/water gurgling into the top of the boiler before a creaking noise followed by a thud as it fires up.

Now the boiler keeps firing up even when the programmer is set to off, and the pump in the upstairs airing cupboard runs continuously.

The only way to stop the latter two is to physically tuen the electrics off to the whole system.

driving me frigging nuts.

any ideas as to what may be the issue? Engineers came in again about 4 weeks back, replaced something to remedy but it’s made no difference at all and i’m beginning to wonder if they actually know what they are doing?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Any heating experts out there?

we have a pressurised system with mega flow tank, and a crap Potterton Promax boiler that’s about 12 years old and annually maintained.

it’s been a rubbish boiler over the years and have been thankful we had a service contract as it’s had just about everything replaced 2 or 3 times over the years along with variance pumps, valves timers etc etc all covered.

The problems are many,

I am constantly bleeding the upstairs rads, yet sitting in the conservatory where we have two of the upright type radiators we suddenly get what sounds like tons of air rushing in. Yet when opening the bleed valve nothing comes out.

Before the boiler fires up it should like loads of air/water gurgling into the top of the boiler before a creaking noise followed by a thud as it fires up.

Now the boiler keeps firing up even when the programmer is set to off, and the pump in the upstairs airing cupboard runs continuously.

The only way to stop the latter two is to physically tuen the electrics off to the whole system.

driving me frigging nuts.

any ideas as to what may be the issue? Engineers came in again about 4 weeks back, replaced something to remedy but it’s made no difference at all and i’m beginning to wonder if they actually know what they are doing?

Have you tried turning it off and then on again?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Have you tried...? Oh, I see you have.

Sounds like you need another visit from an ‘expert’, or a new boiler...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Think there is a government grant knocking about for home improvements - IIRC it pays 75% up to a max of £5k but it must be an improvement, not a like-for-like replacement.
You'll need to read up ....

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Think there is a government grant knocking about for home improvements - IIRC it pays 75% up to a max of £5k but it must be an improvement, not a like-for-like replacement.
You'll need to read up ....

thanks, I’ll see what I can find out.

Not much to do today, other than sunbathe in the rain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here