Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] New bank fraud - advice sought

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just been on the phone with my son who has had his current account emptied by a scam today, and his bank (Lloyds) are saying 'tough luck'

Asking for advice.

So, today my son received a phone call from 'his bank' saying 'there has been some questionable transactions' and that they will txt him with the details. Txts duly arrive within seconds while man is on the phone with my son. Man on phone says 'can you confirm the details in the text we just sent you'. My son reads out the details. Bear in mind this is in real time - phone call, txts, requests to confirm numbers in txts.

Later my son finds his account has been emptied.

I told the boy to call Lloyds. He now reports they say they did not phone him, but they did txt him to ask him to confirm that transactions were legit, and that 'he' confirmed this to be the case.

So the events as far as I can see are these:

Someone stole my son's card details (my son still has the card) and attempted to buy stuff over £100 a pop online. The fraudulent person not only has my son's card details they also have his phone number. They attempt to buy online and queue some transactions. They then phone my son and give him a cock and bull story about fraudulent transactions. They say he will receive a txt asking him to confirm transactions as legitimate - in a minute or so. While they are on the phone to him they press 'buy'. While they are still on the phone to him, my son's bank then txts him to confirm the transactions as legit (I have a hard job with this over the timing - is a check when a transaction goes over a certain amount done that quick?). My son then tells them he has the texts and gives them enough info down the phone to prove this (here is how the fraud works - my son gave out details from the legit txt from the bank to the fraudster; yes the txt from the bank said 'don't share the info here with anyone' but....<doh>). Fraudster then contacts my son's bank to confirm the transactions as legit (not sure how the fraudster did this as the txts were sent to my son's phone - another possible security weakness at the bank?) using the details my son has inadvertenty passed on.

He has lost all his money (about £1200). Lloyds told him to sod off on the phone tonight because 'he' confirmed with Lloyds the transactions are legit. Except it was not my son who confirmed the transactions as legit to the bank, it was the fraudster.

My son needs to ask the bank what phone number confirmed the transactions as legitimate, because it won't be my son's phone, and ask what checks they used to confirm that the message they received from 'my son' was from him, I think. Apart from that does he have any othe legs to stand on?.

Damned good scam, eh? Takes nerve and timing. Get the card number somehow and the mobile phone number somehow and off you go. Be careful out there.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Are you both certain that it was the bank who was texting to confirm that the transactions were legitimate, during the transactions? Could it have been the scammers?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are you both certain that it was the bank who was texting to confirm that the transactions were legitimate, during the transactions? Could it have been the scammers?

The txts were providing information not asking for it. The scam was all done on the phone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Once upon a time you would scoff at people that got scammed as stupid. These days they are so sophisticated we are all vulnerable.

My Nigerian wife is always telling me that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Once upon a time you would scoff at people that got scammed as stupid. These days they are so sophisticated we are all vulnerable.

True to an extent, but I'm also with Lloyds and they've always made it very clear in various forms that "WE WILL NEVER CALL YOU ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNT" - I thought that was fairly common knowledge in banking these days.

I also appreciate this post is of no use whatsoever to anyone.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
True to an extent, but I'm also with Lloyds and they've always made it very clear in various forms that "WE WILL NEVER CALL YOU ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNT" - I thought that was fairly common knowledge in banking these days.

I also bank with Lloyds but didnt know that. However i would always ring them back if they called me

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hi @HWT. Very sorry to hear about that, the scummers are relentlessly inventive. This must be a recent scam, because the texted code to confirm a purchase bank routine, isn’t that old.

A warning to all about another scam now doing the rounds, I received this text this time yesterday:

FCE61ED1-3996-4498-9C57-84A99AA8AD8E.png

Luckily I have no Halifax accounts, so knew it was from scammers.

Anyone with the Halifax making the mistake of clicking on the link, are taken to a legit looking Halifax bank portal. All your logon details and passwords are then gleaned by the crooks, who’ll strip the victim of everything in Halifax accounts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

My son is a bit like me, easily startled. We now realise he was sent an OTP txt and read out the OTP number. Jobzabadun. Sheltered life and all that. Luckily daddy can bail him out :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bank will refund.......no way they will hold him responsible for the transactions. Hold the nerve.....

Thanks. The boy's made of crisps, unfortunatley. I'll have to do a hand hold, but rightous indignation does sometimes prevail. Cheers.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My son is a bit like me, easily startled. We now realise he was sent an OTP txt and read out the OTP number. Jobzabadun. Sheltered life and all that. Luckily daddy can bail him out :facepalm:

To protect himself in future, he could run a Lloyds savings account too, only keeping enough in the current account for needs. Limiting any damage if other :wanker:‘s succeed in any other scam, or contactless frauds should he lose his debit card.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I also bank with Lloyds but didnt know that. However i would always ring them back if they called me

I'd end the call and check my accounts online straight away. Anything untoward, and I'd call one of their published customer care numbers. Taking a call at face value about your bank and divulging details in this day and age is bonkers.

Reminds me of this though :lolol:

[yt]bOOH1-N3EcE[/yt]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What was in the text messages?

OTP, apparently (6 digit pass code to enter online).

Son never spends over £100 a pop so he's not got one previously and was all 'what is this? ???'

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

To protect himself in future, he could run a Lloyds savings account too, only keeping enough in the current account for needs. Limiting any damage if other :wanker:‘s succeed in any other scam, or contactless frauds should he lose his debit card.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Good to hear. Hope it all works out, I'm sure the Lloyds fraud dept will step up to the plate, you'll probably have to put in writing all the disputed transactions. If they still end up playing hardball then there is always the Banking Ombudsman to defer to - mention that and they'll likely fold and give your sons money back I'd expect.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As you've already alluded to - it's now down to the bank to provide full detail on how the transactions were authorised, by whom and on what number.

I've very recent experience (last week) of a legit example of this...

I received a text from Nat West regarding some transactions on my business account:

"We need to verify some recent transactions on your debit card, which is now blocked. We will send you a message from XXXXXXXXXX with the transaction details for you to check."

I then received a text listing several transactions from the number above (XXXXed out). They were not me. I replied to the text with 'N' to indicate this.

I immediately received the following text:

"You've confirmed you did not recognise the attempted payments(s).Your card is blocked for your protection and we will call you back on this number."

I was called a few hours later by someone on Nat West's anti-fraud team, we went over the same transactions, I confirmed again they were not me. They cancelled my card and set me a new one.​

This all sounds very similar to what you've described but was all legit, ie it was the bank and everything was above board.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here