Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] "Apologies if Fixtures" : The origins of NSC argot

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Apologies if fixtures, but I'm curious to know how this phrase originated.

I googled it out of curiosity using "inverted commas" and it appears that it's a phrase unique to NSC and one which is freely and regularly used with a shared and tacit understanding of what it means.

What is the earliest example of it's use, who first coined it and when they did how did anyone else know what they were talking about, and why was it then adopted with such enthusiasm as part of everyday NSC parlance?

What other words or phrases are unique to NSC apart from that and "SINGED" and is it obligatory for "SINGED" to be written in capital letters?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Presumably it refers to that perennial repetitive thread ‘when are the fixtures due out?’ That has become shortened to ‘fixtures’ whenever any thread on any subject has already been started elsewhere.

This, it was one of a number of threads that was repeated relentlessly alongside people asking whether anybody had the GOSBTS ringtone (from memory)...

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I always liked CJTC, although not an NSC original, likewise: ‘What gives?’ first posted on here by an at the time youthful and fairly handsome Cheeky Monkey I believe, along with ‘tediocre.’

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York

I've never seen this outside of an NSC context.

Binfest
An argument on an internet mesageboard that soon spirals out of control with everyone getting involved, and in the end no-one really knows what the argument was about !!!
Bin is short for BINNER which describes somebody who is a complete MOWTCHOPS. Ergo, a binfest is a festival of binners normally arguing the toss over something that matters not in the real world.
by An NSC'er May 29, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've got family who are season ticket holders!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I always liked CJTC, although not an NSC original, likewise: ‘What gives?’ first posted on here by an at the time youthful and fairly handsome Cheeky Monkey I believe, along with ‘tediocre.’

I'm disappointed now. I love the term CJTC and have used it often, but always imagined it was an NSC original :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here