Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Cooking Turkey This Christmas

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No. But I regularly cook whole legs of lamb on my BBQ, without a lid. Hope that helps.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
not a turkey fan, but have done it loads of times with a chicken, works a treat on a decent Weber burning COAL! does a good chicken to a Top grade Tom and Jerry golden brown in under an hour. tjchick.jpg

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Has anyone on here ever attempted to cook a Turkey or similar in a Gas BBQ, lid down utilising the temperature gage mounted on the lid?

My advise would be to buy a digital meat thermometer. This will give you are far more accurate cooking temperature and will also tell you when the turkey meat is at the correct temperature to finish cooking.

If your BBQ is large enough, I recommend only lighting the outer section of the BBQ and cooking the turkey over a indirect heat in the middle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cocoda-The...496514730202&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My advise would be to buy a digital meat thermometer. This will give you are far more accurate cooking temperature and will also tell you when the turkey meat is at the correct temperature to finish cooking.

If your BBQ is large enough, I recommend only lighting the outer section of the BBQ and cooking the turkey over a indirect heat in the middle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cocoda-The...496514730202&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0

Good shout on the outer burners [emoji106]

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I know it’s obvious but you need to very very careful when cooking Turkey , firstly that the temperature is hot enough and that it is fully cooked through & also it’s a meat that needs plenty of basting or it dries out .

Looking forward to getting some nice Italian fresh chestnuts this year , boil them then cut them open and use them as the stuffing inside the bird . The best stuffing you will ever taste .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Always soak the Turkey in a bucket of brine, spices, oranges and stuff. Leave it in the bucket covered for at least 2 days prior to cooking. Keeps it very moist during cooking.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I have done it many a time on my coal bbq, same principal applies. Cook it indirect so it doesnt get the full heat and burn. Use a meater + or similar meat thermometer to cook it to 72 degrees. Ideally 74 degrees is a safe temp but if resting properly it will rise another few degrees. And I would always inject it with liquid butter or wet brine it 24/48 hours in advance. This year mine will be done on a Joetisserie (rolling spit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbmgC9pU_d4

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Definitely indirect cooking. Also, I would suggest trying it out this weekend, you don't want to **** up your Xmas dinner!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

which is how we do it in the weber, coalsd round the outside, juicy meat in the middle

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Good shout that , if it works well it will free up the oven for all the additional stuff, possibly a game changer.

or even better some game . . . . . although I have come to the conclusion it is impossible to make too many roast potatos so that's the oven(s) full.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems Turkey is a faff to do well, at least large ones are, and not particular remarkable in the eating. get a crown or a large chicken. i'll be cooking this year and going for a large beef joint, rather have that left over for the following week. BBQing does sound a good way of making it more manageable though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
seems Turkey is a faff to do well, at least large ones are, and not particular remarkable in the eating. get a crown or a large chicken. i'll be cooking this year and going for a large beef joint, rather have that left over for the following week. BBQing does sound a good way of making it more manageable though.

Agreed, there have only been 3-5 of us in recent years so a good Capon/Chicken, a fillet of beef ( mushroom/wasabi sauce) is sufficient.

did a lazy stuffed crown from M&S last year, suprisingly good.

I do recall our old neighbour ( Canadian) outside BBQing a paving slab sized steak on xmas day years ago, beer in hand, naturally. He got plenty of attention . . . .. from our cats!

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Has anyone on here ever attempted to cook a Turkey or similar in a Gas BBQ, lid down utilising the temperature gage mounted on the lid?

Only problem you might have is the external (ambient) temperature.
Coal / wood-fired BBQ no real problem, but the bottled gas can be a problem if the air temp is too low, and more so if the BBQ is exposed to a cold wind.
Place the BBQ in a sheltered area (but not indoors!) to keep it out of the wind, allow extra time for cooking (use meat thermometer as others have said, not x minutes per pound, which might make it trickier to adjust timings for other food being cooked in the regular indoor oven), and have plenty of gas available - you will use more than you would in the summer.
Not to put you off, just remember to make a few adjustments compared to mid-summer BBQs.
A dry run a week or 3 before will tell you all you need to know.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Always soak the Turkey in a bucket of brine, spices, oranges and stuff. Leave it in the bucket covered for at least 2 days prior to cooking. Keeps it very moist during cooking.

I’ve cooked Turkey many times and this continues to be the best advice I have heard or tried. Works a treat.

Nigella has a great technique so do look her up.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I just looked it up and here it is, nigella's recipe. I think I will give it a go.

INGREDIENTS

Serves: 8-12

METRICCUPS

FOR THE TURKEY BRINING

approx. 6 litres water

1 large orange or 2 smaller (quartered)

250 grams maldon salt (or 125g / ½ cup table salt)

3 tablespoons black peppercorns

1 bouquet garni

1 cinnamon stick

1 tablespoon caraway seeds

4 cloves

2 tablespoons allspice berries

4 star anise

2 tablespoons white mustard seeds

200 grams sugar

2 onions (unpeeled and quartered)

1 x 6 centimetres piece of fresh root ginger (unpeeled and cut into 6 slices)

4 tablespoons maple syrup

4 tablespoons runny honey

stalks from 1 bunch fresh parsley

1 x 5½ kilograms turkey

FOR THE BASTING GLAZE

75 grams goose fat (or butter)

3 tablespoons maple syrup

METHOD

Put the water into your largest cooking pot or a bucket or plastic bin. Squeeze the juice from the orange quarters into the water before you chuck the husks in, then add all the other ingredients, stirring to combine the salt, sugar, syrup and runny honey.

Remove any string or trussing from the turkey, shake it free, remove the giblets, if not already done, and put them in the fridge (or straightaway set about making the stock for the gravy), then add the bird to the liquid, topping up with more water if it is not completely submerged.

Keep covered in a cold place, even outside overnight or for up to a day or two before you cook it, remembering to take it out of its liquid (and wipe it dry with kitchen paper) 1-2 hours before it has to go into the oven.

Read the Important Note below, and preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/gas mark 6/400ºF.

Melt the goose fat (or butter) and maple syrup together slowly over a low heat. Paint the turkey with the glaze before roasting in the oven, and baste periodically throughout the cooking time.

Roast for 2½ hours. When you think it’s ready, pierce the turkey with the point of a sharp knife where the body meets the leg, and if the juices run clear, it’s cooked; if still pink, cook it for longer until they run clear, or use a meat thermometer.

Then take the turkey out of the oven, and let it sit, tented with foil, for 20–40 minutes or even longer if you like, as I do.

We would like to mention that in the US the FDA recommends that turkeys are cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF.

Turkey cooking times - oven fully preheated to 200ºC/180°C Fan/400ºF

Weight of Bird : Cooking Time

2.25kg/5lb : 1 ½ hours 3.5kg/8lb : 1 ¾ hours 4.5kg/10lb : 2 hours 5.5kg/12lb : 2 ½ hours 6.75kg/15lb : 2 ¾ hours 7.5kg/17lb : 3 hours 9kg/20lb : 3 ½ hours 11.5kg/25lb : 4 ½ hours

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here