Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Staff who work from home after pandemic 'should pay more tax'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a daft idea by a, oh, a German bank. I can see their point and it’s this sort of progressive thinking we need. Where do I sign?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's a weird one for me personally.

I'm lucky to have a job that enables me to work from home. It's looking like, when this is all over, we'll continue working from home because we've proven to be as effective, if not more in some cases, in delivering our work. But some of the arguments put forth in that report certainly don't apply to me, nor many others.

I walked to my office so wasn't paying anything toward commuting.
I took in my own lunch so wasn't supporting local shops / restaurants with my custom at lunch time.
Since working from home I've had to buy myself a decent chair and a couple of bits of tech which my company refused to pay for because the pandemic is a "temporary situation".
Now we're in the cold months I'm also paying more on heating my home during the day.

So whilst I'm lucky to work from home it does have its own associated costs. I don't feel I should have to pay a tax because I wouldn't be paying into systems I wasn't paying into before.

It really stinks of "tax everyone except us, the bankers and landlords".

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
It's a weird one for me personally.

I'm lucky to have a job that enables me to work from home. It's looking like, when this is all over, we'll continue working from home because we've proven to be as effective, if not more in some cases, in delivering our work. But some of the arguments put forth in that report certainly don't apply to me, nor many others.

I walked to my office so wasn't paying anything toward commuting.
I took in my own lunch so wasn't supporting local shops / restaurants with my custom at lunch time.
Since working from home I've had to buy myself a decent chair and a couple of bits of tech which my company refused to pay for because the pandemic is a "temporary situation".
Now we're in the cold months I'm also paying more on heating my home during the day.

So whilst I'm lucky to work from home it does have its own associated costs. I don't feel I should have to pay a tax because I wouldn't be paying into systems I wasn't paying into before.

It really stinks of "tax everyone except us, the bankers and landlords".

You can claim a tax allowance (a fixed amount) if you've had to work from home this year (but not if you've chosen to)
https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
People frequently tell me that banks dont have a lot of power, meaning there should be no way this ridiculous idea comes true.

However, that flawed part of my brain that you are aware of tells me a different story.

Bank: "Hi, we want you to tax your people for no apparent good reason".

Elected leader supposedly working for the people: "No!"

Bank: "Ok then we want you to pay your national debt."

Elected leader supposedly working for the people: "Well maybe we could have a little look at this tax thing..."

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A load of bollocks anyway but what highlights how idiotic the authors of the report really are is this :

"That means remote workers are contributing less to the infrastructure of the economy whilst still receiving its benefits. That is a big problem for the economy."

So how exactly are remote workers contributing less to the infrastructure of the economy.? Utter bankers !

I'd suggest if anyone needs taxing more it's the banks thanks to their actions ( or inactions ) in 2008.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
offset by claiming tax deductable expenses for running a home office.

There is a legitimate calculation one can do to offest home running costs if you work from home, I did it for 12 years. simply, a proportion of home space/time x cost of running property . . .

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018

There is a legitimate calculation one can do to offest home running costs if you work from home, I did it for 12 years. simply, a proportion of home space/time x cost of running property . . .

This.

You beat me to it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
So how exactly are remote workers contributing less to the infrastructure of the economy.? Utter bankers !

Err, quite clearly as they say, transport, food, lunchtime shopping etc . . . . one thing this has all highlighted is how hideously overblown the cost of commercial work space is. . . here's hoping life gets simpler and cheaper as a consequence. . .

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Self-employed though right?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
They should probably tax the billionaires and the corporations properly first...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here