Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ballet, Opera, or Football.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I should imagine northerners do. So do southerners. Although we like cricket and rugby too.

Then again, northerners also like cricket- and the wrong code of rugby.

I like the theatre, but ballet and opera ? Never set foot in Glyndebourne meself.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I like opera AND football. I've even gone straight from a match to the opera still wearing my Albion top.

There's definitely been a change over the years however. When I first started going to the opera, it was an expensive treat while football was cheap entertainment. It's the other way around now and my last few tickets to ROH have all been cheaper than a single football ticket.

That's an odd turnaround

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I like opera AND football. I've even gone straight from a match to the opera still wearing my Albion top.

There's definitely been a change over the years however. When I first started going to the opera, it was an expensive treat while football was cheap entertainment. It's the other way around now and my last few tickets to ROH have all been cheaper than a single football ticket.

That's an odd turnaround

Probably due to the Sheffield Wednesday size MASSIVE subsidy opera gets from the Government..
Anywhere between £108 to £60.

Per ticket.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I went to opera once (free ticket at Glyndebourne) and I thought what utter pretentious crap, can't believe people pay so much to watch this shite.

How on earth did you get a free ticket to Glyndebourne? I used to review opera for the Argus and got free tickets every year ... until Glyndebourne decided that the Argus wasn't classy enough and stopped giving them.

Probably due to the Sheffield Wednesday size MASSIVE subsidy opera gets from the Government..
Anywhere between £108 to £60.

Per ticket.

But that's always been the case: opera got massive subsidies in the 70s as well but tickets were still more expensive than football.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I had ballet on my bucket list. My daughter suggested Swan Lake . Some years ago when still in Oxfordshire a Russian touring ballet was in Oxford and the did Swan Lake. Amazing, thoroughly recommend you give a go before criticising. Also remember a long time ago on the London underground late at night going back home, there were some male ballet dancers in the carriage and some yobbos started making fun of them, that was the yobbos downfall, the dancers made mincemeat of them. They may appear effeminate but they are immensely strong, thing about it, they can hold a ballerina above their heads while still dancing.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I had ballet on my bucket list. My daughter suggested Swan Lake . Some years ago when still in Oxfordshire a Russian touring ballet was in Oxford and the did Swan Lake. Amazing, thoroughly recommend you give a go before criticising. Also remember a long time ago on the London underground late at night going back home, there were some male ballet dancers in the carriage and some yobbos started making fun of them, that was the yobbos downfall, the dancers made mincemeat of them. They may appear effeminate but they are immensely strong, thing about it, they can hold a ballerina above their heads while still dancing.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

My criticism is not of ballet or opera, but, if you read the attached article, the ignorance of the ex Government minister of the ‘Northern Powerhouse’ who considers that the height of sophistication for our Northern brethren is an afternoon on the terraces, while in the South, our preferred entertainment is a night of Swan Lake or LaBoheme.
This lazy stereotyping is typical of a vast amount of out of touch, ignorant government attitudes.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Didn't we have a manager that combined ballet and football for training sessions, or did I just make that shit up .

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Snap. After an away game at a London club (QPR? Brentford? Millwall?). Definitely Rigoletto though.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think he is bang on the money. Anyone that went to Gillingham regularly cannot possibly forget that cultured population, magnificent Opera house and conversations we had about Swan Lake with the locals before a game of oik ball.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think he is bang on the money. Anyone that went to Gillingham regularly cannot possibly forget that cultured population, magnificent Opera house and conversations we had about Swan Lake with the locals before a game of oik ball.

When my ex and I were living in the Cotswolds we had an exchange pupil over from Germany for a fortnight. She asked which was the best opera house in Nailsworth.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"For many people who live in London and the south of England, things like the opera house and ballet will be at the heart of their culture.

"But for many of us in the north it is our local football club - our Glyndebourne or Royal Ballet or Royal Opera House or Royal Shakespeare Company will be Blackburn Rovers, Accrington Stanley, Barrow, Carlisle or Sunderland."

Yep, about time that [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] retitles this show "Royal Circle Chat", bans all the Northerners and insists on the wearing of a Tux when posting. After all, it's our real culture.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Also remember a long time ago on the London underground late at night going back home, there were some male ballet dancers in the carriage and some yobbos started making fun of them, that was the yobbos downfall, the dancers made mincemeat of them. They may appear effeminate but they are immensely strong, thing about it, they can hold a ballerina above their heads while still dancing.

How did you know they were ballet dancers, were they still wearing their work gear?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
"For many people who live in London and the south of England, things like the opera house and ballet will be at the heart of their culture.

"But for many of us in the north it is our local football club - our Glyndebourne or Royal Ballet or Royal Opera House or Royal Shakespeare Company will be Blackburn Rovers, Accrington Stanley, Barrow, Carlisle or Sunderland."

Yep, about time that [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] retitles this show "Royal Circle Chat", bans all the Northerners and insists on the wearing of a Tux when posting. After all, it's our real culture.

Personally prefer a Smoking Jacket when posting, You Absolute Shower...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here