Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Pop Culture Divide

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Reiterated again this morning in the office when the youngest member of the firm at 25 had no idea Crackerjack was a TV programme let alone what a Crackerjack pencil was, and this is hot on the heels of a hearse ride back from the Crematorium the other week were two of the four people in the car didn't know who Shakin Stevens was.

I truly am getting old.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Reiterated again this morning in the office when the youngest member of the firm at 25 had no idea Crackerjack was a TV programme let alone what a Crackerjack pencil was, and this is hot on the heels of a hearse ride back from the Crematorium the other week were two of the four people in the car didn't know who Shakin Stevens was.

I truly am getting old.

Well, when you were 25 how conscious were you of the TV which was on 10 years before you were born?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair tho, Crackerjack was always not so much Light Entertainment as Shite Entertainment

And maybe I'm missing something, and apologies if I am, but on what planet is it appropriate to be be discussing the merits of Shakin' Stevens in a hearse on the way back from the crematorium? :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well, when you were 25 how conscious were you of the TV which was on 10 years before you were born?

very, it was still on TV as repeats and we didn't have any alternative. other than playing outside in the dark with knives and stuff :rolleyes:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I have Shakin Stevens home telephone number in my little black book, never called him. Not even sure where Shakin Stevens or the little black book are now though.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
To be fair tho, Crackerjack was always not so much Light Entertainment as Shite Entertainment

And maybe I'm missing something, and apologies if I am, but on what planet is it appropriate to be be discussing the merits of Shakin' Stevens in a hearse on the way back from the crematorium? :lolol:

Someone had Green Door as one of their funeral tunes, but Frankie Vaughan not Shaky.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

It might only be appropriate if the deceased family name was Stevens and it was a particularly bumpy journey on the way there.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...

Never a bad time.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Young people unaware of TV programme that ended in 1984 shock! :shrug:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I didn’t even know that Shaky had been ill or that he lived locally.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

It was the remix

"There's a great big oven and its getting hot, behind the Green Curtain (Green Curtain)"

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
My 12 & 9 year old daughters love the Young Ones - the comedy not the tune. I have raised them on a diet of 70s & 80s culture - 2 Tone, Punk, The Jam, Subbuteo and Harringtons. My eldest is proud to wear Peter Ward's number 8 in her team. The wife is a little concerned as to whether this acquired knowledge will serve them well in the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here