Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Any Flashers on Here? I Need Help.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Flashers.

Why, when you are doing 40 in a 60, do you frantically flash me when I safely overtake you?

It makes me want to stop and have a debate.

Peace and love.

jonnyrovers

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Flashers.

Why, when you are doing 40 in a 60, do you frantically flash me when I safely overtake you?

It makes me want to stop and have a debate.

Peace and love.

jonnyrovers

Someone in my family asks why do people have overtake-itis? His argument is that no matter what speed (slow) you're doing on a single carriageway without solid white lines, people shouldn't overtake, where does it get them? .... to a destination a minute earlier.

A colleague of mine bought a Porsche 911. Not an aggressive person or driver in the slightest, he found that other road users reacted differently if he legitimately overtook them on rural roads. Racing to catch up with him at the next village, flashing their headlights in anger or "where did that get you?".

Driving in this country brings out the worst in people, I've seen so much stuff.

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Calling [MENTION=20155]Clive Walker[/MENTION] ...... Oops, never mind

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Someone in my family says why do people have overtake-itis. His argument that no matter what speed you're doing on a single carriageway without solid white lines, people shouldn't overtake, where does it get them .... to a destination a minute earlier.

A colleague of mine bought a Porsche 911. Not an aggressive person or driver in the slightest, he found that other road users reacted differently if he legitimately overtook them on rural roads. Racing to catch up with him at the next village, flashing their headlights in anger or "where did that get you".

Driving in this country brings out the worst in people, I've seen so much stuff.

It's not limited to the UK.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
:clap:

Oh, and perhaps they're just testing whether their lights still turn on and off again?

That must be it. They're ALL IT professionals*

*While this is a good joke I have worked in IT for over 20 years and most drive like nutcases. My favourite one was my boss who bought a Jag on commission and pranged it in the company car park showing off. He was a Palace fan.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Someone in my family says why do people have overtake-itis. His argument that no matter what speed you're doing on a single carriageway without solid white lines, people shouldn't overtake, where does it get them .... to a destination a minute earlier.

A colleague of mine bought a Porsche 911. Not an aggressive person or driver in the slightest, he found that other road users reacted differently if he legitimately overtook them on rural roads. Racing to catch up with him at the next village, flashing their headlights in anger or "where did that get you".

This is interesting. A year ago I traded in my unassuming saloon car for something a bit sportier. It's been happening more since then....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's not limited to the UK.

I've driven a lot in Austria, France, Spain and Italy. Two things stood out:

1. It's mandatory and literally everyone abides, to pull into the slower lane once you've overtaken on a dual carriageway/Autoroute.
2. There is hot headedness, but in my experience it's limited to a wave of the fist, then forgotten about. Speaking to some Sussex traffic cops last year, they said that weekly in Brighton alone, they deal with road rage incidents where one participant produces a rounders bat or putting iron or similar.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I have a reasonably powerful car and I don't generally overtake to get somewhere quicker. I overtake someone going too slowly because they are going too slowly and it's boring.

Also it's just fun to overtake when safe and I only overtake when the road ahead is clear so I'm warranted in doing it.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Someone in my family asks why do people have overtake-itis? His argument is that no matter what speed (slow) you're doing on a single carriageway without solid white lines, people shouldn't overtake, where does it get them? .... to a destination a minute earlier.

A colleague of mine bought a Porsche 911. Not an aggressive person or driver in the slightest, he found that other road users reacted differently if he legitimately overtook them on rural roads. Racing to catch up with him at the next village, flashing their headlights in anger or "where did that get you?".

A couple of years ago I put a 'P' plate on the back of the car, as a little experiment. I didn't drive any differently to how I always do.
Wow! The extraordinary lengths some people went to, to overtake.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It's probably not as many people that you think.
But those that do it may have some experience of seeing commercial vehicles flashing their lights to signal to the overtaking vehicle when it is safe to pull across in front of them?

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
The way some people change when they get behind the wheel is fascinating to me. I think there have been documentaries on it. How some completely placid and gentle people turn into raging terrors when driving.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's almost as if most car drivers are self centred selfish morons who think they own the bit of road they are on.

What are the chances of that happening?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've driven a lot in Austria, France, Spain and Italy. Two things stood out:

1. It's mandatory and literally everyone abides, to pull into the slower lane once you've overtaken on a dual carriageway/Autoroute.
2. There is hot headedness, but in my experience it's limited to a wave of the fist, then forgotten about. Speaking to some Sussex traffic cops last year, they said that weekly in Brighton alone, they deal with road rage incidents where one participant produces a rounders bat or putting iron or similar.

Think you'll find it is mandatory over here but never enforced. Highway code rule 264.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here