Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are you in favour of five subs in the PL

do you want 5 subs reintroduced in the PL

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From reading the headline in the Argus it seems that Albion will support the idea which supposedly helps big clubs. I can only see the basics as I don’t subscribe so apologies if I’ve got that wrong

Given how GP likes to change things around I also think that this will suit us. Anything that might give us an edge for me.

Are you a fan of the five subs?

Slightly fecked up poll title!

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yeah, whatever!

Until next year I'm up for anything that might make this season more interesting.

Hopping on one leg for 10 minutes when you get a yellow card. Up for that too.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes.

I was against it at the beginning of the season, but that was before I realised that the national teams were going to play a bazillion games.

Pretty funny that Klopp & Pep who both have moaned about not being able to make five subs made a total of three subs when they played this weekend... made it sound like "we want five subs" was some poor excuse for their performances this season.

I'm definitely for it though and it would be positive for Brighton as the squad is deep and Potter likes that kind of flexibility (late changes last time around against Burnley, but its fairly normal when you are dominating a 0-0 game).

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'm not too bothered either way on the number of subs, however I really don't think we should have a second season in a row where the rules change part-way through.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I am. I thought it would benefit the 'big' clubs, and it does to degree. But it also benefits managers that are able to re-think tactics mid-game. There were several times last season, after the restart, that I though Potter was excellent in using subs to change a game.

In fact, I wonder whether the 'five subs' rule is one of the reasons that the latter part of last season was one of the best periods in our Premier League time. It is the one period under Potter that we played well whilst also picking up decent results.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am. I thought it would benefit the 'big' clubs, and it does to degree. But it also benefits managers that are able to re-think tactics mid-game. There were several times last season, after the restart, that I though Potter was excellent in using subs to change a game. In fact, I wonder whether the 'five subs' rule is one of the reasons that the latter part of last season was one of the best periods in our Premier League time.

Exactamundo, it will really benefit us imo, especially against the lower teams in the division

Interested why any Albion fan would be Meh, as it either benefits us or it doesn’t, so why would you be Meh? Bizarre

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes.

I was against it at the beginning of the season, but that was before I realised that the national teams were going to play a bazillion games.

Pretty funny that Klopp & Pep who both have moaned about not being able to make five subs made a total of three subs when they played this weekend... made it sound like "we want five subs" was some poor excuse for their performances this season.

I'm definitely for it though and it would be positive for Brighton as the squad is deep and Potter likes that kind of flexibility (late changes last time around against Burnley, but its fairly normal when you are dominating a 0-0 game).

What Pep and Klopp actually mean is they want to be able to make 5 subs when they are 5-0 up against Fulham.

Pep has spent 800 million at city, if he can’t build a squad he can rotate after spending that amount - that’s on him

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes

Too many games atm and likely to be loads of injuries
Gives peripheral squad members a better chance of some game time

More selfishly, our squad depth is pretty good compared with many, and GP is prepared to change things, so more chance of it benefiting us.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It will benefit those at the top of the table who have shedloads of multi million pound players who they are both trying to protect and keep happy. I don’t see a great benefit to us, other than give some of the lesser lights a game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was a no, but on the radio today they spoke to European football journalists, where they explained that the 5 substitutes had continued eg in the Bundesliga, to lesson injuries in this condensed season. Influencing me to vote yes.

All very relaxed on the continent, 5 subs accepted by all clubs, no furore or chatter.

We’re a funny old country ... everything’s polarised, with hyperbole, a blazing row.

Last edited:

SAC

May 21, 2014
No. If big clubs are playing too much football they should vote to make European games knock-out.

Dec 29, 2011
Yeah, whatever!

Until next year I'm up for anything that might make this season more interesting.

Hopping on one leg for 10 minutes when you get a yellow card. Up for that too.

It will make things less interesting as bigger clubs can use their ample resources to essentially replace half of their team during the game with fresh and equally talented players. Smaller teams don't have that option due to less depth in squad.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes I am. I understand the arguments against but I think it would have been sensible this season.

From a selfish point of view I also think it suits us as Potter is generally very good at making in game changes and our squad are all of a similar level. We don’t have 11 strong players and then the rest poor/average like some other squads so changes work well for us.

We jointly average the most changes per match this season already.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Once it gets feet under the table it won't be leaving - there'll always be reasons why some teams (the bigger clubs with better squads) will need it to stay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here