Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Westminster debate on returning football fans

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The recent online Government petition demanding football spectators be allowed back into stadia attracted just shy of 200,000 signatories.

This afternoon, MPs will be debating this petition, and what to do next. Details here.

Additionally, the Daily Mail (yeah, sorry) has run an article on fans returning, being highly complimentary by 'Brighton blazing a trail for fans..."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...lead-level-playing-field-lockdown-lifted.html

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
they are debating the return of football fans less than a week after locking the country down ......ffs , what is wrong with them , do you not think they would get the next 3 weeks out of the way and see how the land lies with regard to this deadly virus that has precipitated the situation , before dangling that particular carrot in front of the poor fans.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
they are debating the return of football fans less than a week after locking the country down ......ffs , what is wrong with them , do you not think they would get the next 3 weeks out of the way and see how the land lies with regard to this deadly virus that has precipitated the situation , before dangling that particular carrot in front of the poor fans.

Perfect time to do it if you have no intention of changing the current rules.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The major problem, as l see it at least, isn't in allowing a percentage of fans in to stadia watch a game, it's more about the logistics of getting them to and from the game safely en masse, whilst maintaining social distancing.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The major problem, as l see it at least, isn't in allowing a percentage of fans in to stadia watch a game, it's more about the logistics of getting them to and from the game safely en masse, whilst maintaining social distancing.

I think that is exactly the problem. And it’s a problem that isn't resolved with a one size fits all approach as every stadium will have a unique set of problems in terms of how fans get to and from games. It might not be an issue for some but a colossal problem for others. So do they say to some clubs you can have fans and to others you can't, because that would then cause a whole load of other issues.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The timing is terrible (although the petition was obviously set up pre-lockdown), but at some point now we seemingly have a vaccine in the offing there needs to be some thought going into this. I don't believe we can go from a situation of 0 fans one week, then 30,000 (or 60,000 or 75,000 in some places) the following week. There can't just be a flip of the switch which takes everything straight back to normal, so much has been re-jigged for the pandemic that there needs to be a tremendous logistical effort to get it re-aligned. Those conversations should be starting (if not already ongoing) straight away, as this is going to be a hell of a shift to expect it to just work in one fell swoop.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Returning Football Fans not realistically going to happen tho eh without a vaccine, even if ten million sign a social media petition. Big Brain Dom and his feeble sock puppets will just bin it regardless

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We should just accept that we won't be returning until next season and settle for that. By then it looks as though a vaccine will be in place and life can start to return to normal. Before then it seems pointless discussing it.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Why these damn louts of football fans can't do something constructive like blast the shit out of Grouse or other defenseless animals is beyond me? Bring back the birch and the workhouse don't you know....

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I'm desparate to get back to the amex same as everyone and I can see several ways the club and authorities could manage the logistics of fans travel to and from the stadium and I have no doubt the stadium will be super safe. but I reckon Paul Barbers view in the article is the most sensible and realistic, possibly January but most likely spring .
I reckon Let's get Christmas out the way first and then really get cracking in January at limited fans returning like the Chelsea game and building from that.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I can't see fans returning this season but if they did, would it be fair? Look at how the season has gone so far with shock results and lots of goals. If we were to suddenly be allowed in, would there not be an advantage to the home team where they are not currently getting it? E.g. We've played Burnley at home already, play at their place with their home fans and no away fans (or even with a few away fans), big advantage to them.

I can't see this season with fans happening for a number of reasons.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Brilliant.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Parliamentary time is very limited. They set this debate up as a matter of semi-urgency, well before the announcement of the second lockdown.

Also, lockdown is the perfect time to have it as, by the time we come out of it, and assuming football gets some form of green light to let people back in, then it will be ready as soon as possible to get going. What's the point in procrastinating?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I can't see fans returning this season but if they did, would it be fair? Look at how the season has gone so far with shock results and lots of goals. If we were to suddenly be allowed in, would there not be an advantage to the home team where they are not currently getting it? E.g. We've played Burnley at home already, play at their place with their home fans and no away fans (or even with a few away fans), big advantage to them.

If it would be fair, probably not, but I still think 20/20 PL clubs would vote yes to allow people in if it becomes possible at some point over the season.

Unlikely to happen but if things go well its not impossible that some people will be allowed in for the last month or two of the season.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I can’t believe fans would continue to be excluded from stadiums on the basis of a subjective view of fairness. If it is safe it will happen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They are pretty much obliged to do so: https://petition.parliament.uk/help. I expect it'll be a fairly quick one, though...

Obliged maybe, but does it get meaningful time? I remember reading some time ago that this 100,000 trigger petition thing can just be lip service... and Parliament have opened, dismissed and closed some of these petition debates in minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here