Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion 83 against Team Potter

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
As Greavsie once said its a game of opinion's, and whilst football has changed in the ensuing 37 years, how many of the Albion Cup Final Squad at peak fitness and ability would get into the Albion starting 11 against Villa?

I reckon Gary Stevens, Fozzie, Jimmy Case and Michael Robinson.

With a decent argument for Grealish and Smith.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
As Greavsie once said its a game of opinion's, and whilst football has changed in the ensuing 37 years, how many of the Albion Cup Final Squad at peak fitness and ability would get into the Albion starting 11 against Villa?

To me, Fozzie is a bit like a Duffy. Good solid Centre Half but nothing special. Made to look better by playing alongside class partners. Stevens, Lawrenson etc.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Thinking of the Cup final team and who Potter would pick, can’t see him being a fan of Fozzie, Grealish or Case in midfield possibly, Smith would be his type of player and what we wouldn’t give for a Robbo in the current team.
Mind you, not many of that team could play in a different position so might count against them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Interesting question

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Stevens, Gatting, and Robinson might make it in.. Howlett and Case might make the squad..

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Michael Robinson might be the only one with Jimmy Case knocking on the door.

As mentioned before, the game has moved on so much since then. Players are much fitter now and the pace of the game is is so much quicker nowadays, since the back pass rule. In reality none of them would get in unless they were given time to adapt to the demands of the modern game.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Michael Robinson might be the only one with Jimmy Case knocking on the door.

As mentioned before, the game has moved on so much since then. Players are much fitter now and the pace of the game is is so much quicker nowadays, since the back pass rule. In reality none of them would get in unless they were given time to adapt to the demands of the modern game.

Is there some way of proving the game is quicker ? Apart from Lamptey we are not that quick and don`t forget the pitches were a lot worse in them days .One thing about Jimmy Case he had a great shot from distance although he use to get stuck in so he would not be on the pitch very long with players looking like they have been shot by a sniper these days ,

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Is there some way of proving the game is quicker ? Apart from Lamptey we are not that quick and don`t forget the pitches were a lot worse in them days .One thing about Jimmy Case he had a great shot from distance although he use to get stuck in so he would not be on the pitch very long with players looking like they have been shot by a sniper these days ,

Just watch a retro game on the tv and a modern one, you’d see the difference instantly

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Just watch a retro game on the tv and a modern one, you’d see the difference instantly

Same can be said for most sports, sport science, technology and cheating has come a long way. I quite like watching old games from time to time. particularly early 80's MotD/Big match

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I certainly think the 83 team would be regretting the fry ups, Guinness and B&H about 3 minutes in

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
7th April 1980 Brighton 0 Bristol City 1
8th April 1980 Brighton 3 Wolves 0

Imagine asking the luvvies to play twice in 24 hours today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here