Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goals scored and failed to score stats from previous seasons after 8 games

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
... but points make prizes.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not sure what constitutes a FTS as in my mind we've passed up a lot of chances? Defensively we are improving we've let in just the 2 goals in 3 games and one of those was a disgrace of a penalty. The stats back up my gut feeling that we're unlucky rather than bad but the last two home games cannot be ignored and may point to a loss of confidence in front of goal time will tell I guess.

I think that once we go away again results will improve. We are set up to break quickly and struggle to create against teams that defend deep and counter on us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure what constitutes a FTS as in my mind we've passed up a lot of chances? Defensively we are improving we've let in just the 2 goals in 3 games and one of those was a disgrace of a penalty. The stats back up my gut feeling that we're unlucky rather than bad but the last two home games cannot be ignored and may point to a loss of confidence in front of goal time will tell I guess.

I think that once we go away again results will improve. We are set up to break quickly and struggle to create against teams that defend deep and counter on us.

We are creating, the problem is finishing.

2DBA199C-AE4B-4F8B-A6E0-93B56D277BC7.jpeg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
...But for those saying it's our cutting edge which is the problem behinfd our lack of points, these stats imply that it isn't.

Not always, no.

In general we've struggled to score agaist poor sides who rely on defence (West Brom and Burnley, one goal between the two games) and score ok against the "good" sides (two against Man U and Everton, even while not playing well in the latter). The exception was Newcastle where we scored early. On the other hand we conceeded 4 at Everton, 3 versus Chelsea and 3 versus Man U.

Stats alone would simply suggest we have more goals in both nets in more "open" games. Those who have watched all our games know it is a bit more nuanced than that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
... but points make prizes.

And if we had 3 more points but were playing dull negative football and massively riding our luck with dodgy refereeing decisions, accident waiting to happen?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is very odd. We are third for shots but we are fewest saves (10 with 5 big clubs taking next places and next lowest is 13). It is a weird statistical quirk which sees us low in the league. Basically we keep missing chances and oppo score more often than not with a shot on target. It is actually pretty remarkable. Doesn’t win us points though, sadly.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We are creating, the problem is finishing.

View attachment 130290

I don't know so much? Clearly we are shooting a lot but again in my mind its having worked the ball across the box 5 times before shooting under pressure having refused better and earlier invitations to shoot. What we don't seem to be doing is making the keeper work too much, it would be interesting to see how a table on that and maybe the mind is playing tricks at my age that's definitely possible?

We seem to create 1/2 clear cut chances a game from an awful lot of possession in the oppositions final 3rd. That said Lallana has been our best player so that could be rubbish...

Football is great, we seem to get punished for every error currently but that goes through spells too. I'm not unhappy with how its going just concerned we passed up two golden chances to get 4 more points from these two home games. It may well even itself out over the season but its a rain cloud in my otherwise sunny view of where we are headed....

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
2017/18: 6 goals 4 FTS
2018/19: 9 goals 3 FTS
2019/20: 8 goals 4 FTS
2020/21: 11 goals 1 FTS

Conceded after 8 games?

2017/18: 10 goals conceded, -4 GD, 14th in table
2018/19: 13 goals conceded, -4 GD, 13th in table
2019/20: 10 goals conceded, -2 GD, 14th in table
2020/21: 14 goals conceded, -3 GD, 16th in table

It's worth noting that we have scored more than Wolves, Man City and Arsenal so far this season, respectively 9th, 10th and 11th in the table, plus 5 other teams including the 4 below us.

We're 12th in the league on scoring, and joint 13th on conceding, but find ourselves 16th in the table. Them's the breaks...

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Matches are not played on paper.

Personally I love it when you sucker punch a team at the end of a match with a breakaway goal. The Euphoria of it can be really satisfying, especially if it is against a ''Big Side''

Not really bothered about the stats at all - The football is decent and there are at least 4 worse teams in the League so everything is fine to date. Just pick up same levels of points as previous years then all will be fine. Never seen a year like this where so many teams at the bottom have picked up as few points as they have after so many games and at this stage of the season and they don't even look like they can pick up many points either.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
trouble is, there's already a bottom 5, and you know Burnley and probably Sheffield Utd will start grinding some results out. . . . we couldnt beat Burnley or WBA, and we don't currently look like a team that will start doing that.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's invariably most or all of the teams that have a poor GD early on in the season that tend to go down.

Last season after 8 games, the bottom 2 clubs, Watford and Norwich, had a GD of -16 and -11 respectively. The next worst was Newcastle on -8.

By comparison, Albion had a GD of -2 and 9 points. The points difference was clearly better, but the GD was just one better.

https://www.premierleague.com/matchweek/4298/table

In 2018-19 after 8 games, the 3 sides that had the worst GD (Cardiff - 13, Huddersfield -13 and Fulham - 12) were all relegated.

That season, Albion had 8 points and a GD of -4. 2 more points than the current, but GD was worse.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2799522-epl-table-2018-week-8-standings-after-sundays-premier-league-scores

Currently we're -3 GD, the same as Newcastle and Leeds on 11 and 10 points respectively.

And, more importantly, that's 5 better than Fulham, 6 better than Burnley, 7 better than Sheffield United and 8 better than West Brom.

Based on the chances created / failing to score stats, one would expect that with better finishing and setpiece improvement at both ends, things will improve. :smile:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
trouble is, there's already a bottom 5, and you know Burnley and probably Sheffield Utd will start grinding some results out. . . . we couldn't beat Burnley or WBA, and we don't currently look like a team that will start doing that.

1. I thought Burnley were toothless against us, for the second time in a row. Barnes and Wood did nothing, and they don't have their home crowd to help. I really don't see where Burnley's points are coming from, apart for the other 3 at the bottom.

2. Much of the above applies to Sheff Utd. They punched above their weight last season but lack of fans, no first season bounce and their small squad will hurt them.

3. We cannot continue to fail to score with 19 shots per game, similarly we cannot continue to be in 16th spot when the opposition are averaging less than 3 shots on target per game. Statistically, more will start to go in for us, and less will be conceded.

4. The bottom 4 will continue to struggle until at least the January window. Burnley need creativity, Sheff Utd need creativity and goals, Fulham and West Brom are short in all departments.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I don't know so much? Clearly we are shooting a lot but again in my mind its having worked the ball across the box 5 times before shooting under pressure having refused better and earlier invitations to shoot. What we don't seem to be doing is making the keeper work too much, it would be interesting to see how a table on that and maybe the mind is playing tricks at my age that's definitely possible?

We seem to create 1/2 clear cut chances a game from an awful lot of possession in the oppositions final 3rd. That said Lallana has been our best player so that could be rubbish...

Football is great, we seem to get punished for every error currently but that goes through spells too. I'm not unhappy with how its going just concerned we passed up two golden chances to get 4 more points from these two home games. It may well even itself out over the season but its a rain cloud in my otherwise sunny view of where we are headed....
This, this, this.

So many people getting carried away by the shots stuff, which usually includes a couple of long range drives by the wind backs and another by Bissouma.

There is a massive difference between shots and chances. We don't create that many chances because we spend so long pissing about with the ball, and when we do create chances our finishing is inconsistent.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
1. I thought Burnley were toothless against us, for the second time in a row. Barnes and Wood did nothing, and they don't have their home crowd to help. I really don't see where Burnley's points are coming from, apart for the other 3 at the bottom.

2. Much of the above applies to Sheff Utd. They punched above their weight last season but lack of fans, no first season bounce and their small squad will hurt them.

3. We cannot continue to fail to score with 19 shots per game, similarly we cannot continue to be in 16th spot when the opposition are averaging less than 3 shots on target per game. Statistically, more will start to go in for us, and less will be conceded.

4. The bottom 4 will continue to struggle until at least the January window. Burnley need creativity, Sheff Utd need creativity and goals, Fulham and West Brom are short in all departments.

I don't disagree with any of that, but for all our pretty build up we don't seem to be able to nail home any clear cut chances . . . . and/or hold onto an advantage. we are very much a work in (great) progress, but if and when it all clicks needs to be before we're in a confidence vacuum rooted in the bottom 3.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don't disagree with any of that, but for all our pretty build up we don't seem to be able to nail home any clear cut chances . . . . and/or hold onto an advantage. we are very much a work in (great) progress, but if and when it all clicks needs to be before we're in a confidence vacuum rooted in the bottom 3.
Agree we are powder puff up front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here