Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many points needed to stay up this season?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If current progress by the bottom 4 were continued then 20pts would be enough.

Sporting Index suggest that 33pts will actually be needed. (34-35pts being more than enough seems right to me.)

And our likely number of points feels quite predicable around the 41pts +/- a couple range...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I said on another thread a points tally of 30 points could be enough. I’m with Sporting Index that 33 is probably the magic number.

Even if the bottom four all averaged a point each per game then 35 would prevail but I think that’s possibly too high based on their performances so far this season.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
34_104_200.gif

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If current progress by the bottom 4 were continued then 20pts would be enough.Sporting Index suggest that 33pts will actually be needed. (34-35pts being more than enough seems right to me.)

And our likely number of points feels quite predicable around the 41pts +/- a couple range...

You always see these early patterns. The league table will look more like a normal league table after another 5 or 6 games.

I think 34 would probably be ok this season.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Last season it looked as if it was going to need a record number of points to stay up but 35 was enough for Villa.

My guess is that two teams will have points in the 20s, possibly lower, and one will have low 30s. Man U only need 7 more wins and a draw or two.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You always see these early patterns. The league table will look more like a normal league table after another 5 or 6 games.

I think 34 would probably be ok this season.

Yes, you’re right of course about the danger of very misleading “points per game” calculations being made too early.

I guess a factor is when the more hapless outfits play each other and inevitably add points to their tallies. There are 36pts (maximum total) up for grabs in their mini-league.

Is it relevant though that 3 of the 12 basement bunch clashes HAVE already taken place? All 4 teams have already dropped points and two draws mean 2 of the max total to be shared out have disappeared...

If these 4 end up only taking about 7pts each out of their mini-league then a case can be made for 20s and very low 30s totals. But the spread bookies aren’t usually wrong so there must be a reason why they should be expected to do better.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes, you’re right of course about the danger of very misleading “points per game” calculations being made too early.

I guess a factor is when the more hapless outfits play each other and inevitably add points to their tallies. There are 36pts (maximum total) up for grabs in their mini-league.

Is it relevant though that 3 of the 12 basement bunch clashes HAVE already taken place? All 4 teams have already dropped points and two draws mean 2 of the max total to be shared out have disappeared...

If these 4 end up only taking about 7pts each out of their mini-league then a case can be made for 20s and very low 30s totals. But the spread bookies aren’t usually wrong so there must be a reason why they should be expected to do better.

OK, but if you look at any other league table after 8 games and compare to the final table, the bottom 5, won't stay the same.

So I'm pretty sure Southampton and Newcastle were right down there last autumn, but both put together a decent run. Muff did the opposite.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Very hard to make anything that even resembles a predicition at this early stage, but I would say "probably not more than last season".

the

Jul 25, 2018
London

this season will definitely be much more difficult than the past two.
Fulham and West brom are obviously trash and will go down, but the competition for that 18th spot is pretty tough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here