Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Black History Month-Armistice Day

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
We've just spent 31 days having black history month rammed down our throats. All forms of media have highlighted music, films, shows, actors and everyone who isn't white. Coming up next Wednesday, in my mind, is the most important date in the year, Armistice Day. This remembrance day does not single out colour, race, religion or sexuality, yet it is only afforded a few weeks of low profile attention. Due to the current situation poppy sales are few and far between, which will inevitably lead to a great reduction in the funds to our service personal. If you haven't been able to donate please go on the Royal British legion website where you can donate and will receive a printable poppy to put in your window. Without our service people over the years we wouldn't have forums like NSC to air our free speech.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We've just spent 31 days having black history month rammed down our throats. .

No. No we haven't.

However, we have seen dignified wreath layings and last posts at football games, poppies on shirts, poppies on every TV presenter, just as it is every year and just as it should be.

I have and will be wearing my poppy with pride. I go to one church service a year and that's Remembrance service in Easthill Park, because my daughter is a cub and marches (and laid the wreath one year), and because I believe the sacrifice those people made is greater than my sacrifice going to a service as an athiest. And I endorse that people need to donate more than ever this year. I will miss the parade and the service.

None of that has anything to do with Black History Month. They are seperate things entirely and neither should detract from the other. In fact, there is probably a tiny overlap in their Venn diagrams as part of Black History covers those soldiers from the colonies who gave their lives for Britain.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I didn't even know it was Black History Month.

So I can confirm my throat is clear and I am breathing.

What an odd thread to start.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No. No we haven't.

However, we have seen dignified wreath layings and last posts at football games, poppies on shirts, poppies on every TV presenter, just as it is every year and just as it should be.

I have and will be wearing my poppy with pride. I go to one church service a year and that's Remembrance service in Easthill Park, because my daughter is a cub and marches (and laid the wreath one year), and because I believe the sacrifice those people made is greater than my sacrifice going to a service as an athiest. And I endorse that people need to donate more than ever this year. I will miss the parade and the service.

None of that has anything to do with Black History Month. They are seperate things entirely and neither should detract from the other. In fact, there is probably a tiny overlap in their Venn diagrams as part of Black History covers those soldiers from the colonies who gave their lives for Britain.

This with a MLK speech attached to it. Actually not- because the two things are indeed separate.

The only cross over being the number of people of colour who fought in the conflicts we remember but would have gone back to a segregated system.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
We've just spent 31 days having black history month rammed down our throats. All forms of media have highlighted music, films, shows, actors and everyone who isn't white.

Sounds like you've been ramming more than an half of the black stuff down your throat, Mr Guinness.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A fishing thread by someone who doesn't even know the difference between Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No. No we haven't.

This.

The OP is a racist dick.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well said, couldn't agree more.

And you're a clown. Read his soppy post. Blacks vs 'Armistice' day?

You're a racist too, aren't you? ???

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
We've just spent 31 days having black history month rammed down our throats. All forms of media have highlighted music, films, shows, actors and everyone who isn't white. Coming up next Wednesday, in my mind, is the most important date in the year, Armistice Day. This remembrance day does not single out colour, race, religion or sexuality, yet it is only afforded a few weeks of low profile attention. Due to the current situation poppy sales are few and far between, which will inevitably lead to a great reduction in the funds to our service personal. If you haven't been able to donate please go on the Royal British legion website where you can donate and will receive a printable poppy to put in your window. Without our service people over the years we wouldn't have forums like NSC to air our free speech.

Nonsense racist claptrap.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
A fishing thread by someone who doesn't even know the difference between Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day.

I do know the difference, that is why I said Armistice Day and Remembrance Day not Remembrance Sunday. Personally I always wear my poppy up to the later date in the two, whether this is correct I don't know but I've always done it.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
And you're a clown. Read his soppy post. Blacks vs 'Armistice' day?

You're a racist too, aren't you? ???

Read again, it is not one vs the other. I am highlighting the way one event that concerns one minority race in this country and one event that concerns all races and colours. I do not see how respecting everyone who died for our country is racist.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Coming up next Wednesday, in my mind, is the most important date in the year, Armistice Day. This remembrance day does not single out colour, race, religion or sexuality, yet it is only afforded a few weeks of low profile attention. Due to the current situation poppy sales are few and far between, which will inevitably lead to a great reduction in the funds to our service personal. If you haven't been able to donate please go on the Royal British legion website where you can donate and will receive a printable poppy to put in your window. Without our service people over the years we wouldn't have forums like NSC to air our free speech.

If you had just posted the above and left ‘ Black History Month ‘ out of the thread title you wouldn’t be getting abused in the replies.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I just want to watch football.

Wear a poppy, clap who you like, pray for someone, kneel for whomever, sign a petition, hashtag whatever...but maybe we can just get on with, you know, a GAME!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I don't think too many people dispute your support of Armistice Day.

However, what was the need for belittling Black History Month ?

We went hundreds of years not recognising the plight of Black people . Was there any need to compare the length of airtime afforded to each or was it just that you wanted ANOTHER thread to create a divide based on " Racial Issues " ?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I have been active in advocating for and making changes to things we do at work as a reaction to Black Lives Matter and am proudly wearing a poppy. There is no contradiction in taking a critical look at our imperial history and it’s legacy and showing gratitude for the sacrifices of our troops.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Read again, it is not one vs the other. I am highlighting the way one event that concerns one minority race in this country and one event that concerns all races and colours. I do not see how respecting everyone who died for our country is racist.

No, but claiming black history month ‘is being rammed down our throats’ is a tad on the nose. You know, I hear they don’t have a ‘white history’ month and there’s also no straight pride, maybe start threads about those too, yeah?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have been active in advocating for and making changes to things we do at work as a reaction to Black Lives Matter and am proudly wearing a poppy. There is no contradiction in taking a critical look at our imperial history and it’s legacy and showing gratitude for the sacrifices of our troops.

Spot on :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here