Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Article - Brighton’s Problems – Coaching or Poor Squad?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This started off as a post but quickly grew to article length. It seeks to go through the main players in the squad one by one to answer the question of whether our current inability to win games lies with the players or the coach. Do we have a poor squad? Are we "too good to go down"? Are we just unlucky? Read and feel free to agree or disagree. Or don't. That's kinda the point of NSC.

https://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?869-Brighton%92s-Problems-%96-Coaching-or-Poor-Squad

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] can you provide a short link for Tapa pretty please?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Interesting assessments, but it’s 99% about the players as individuals, so you don’t really address the issue in your title, is it the coaching? Which is what I was hoping to read about.

I think we have some massive coaching shortfalls. First Burnley corner last night, zone defence, 5 defenders lined up on the six yard line, corner taker hangs it right under the bar and Ryan is completely unprotected. Absolute disaster of coaching, planning and rehearsal. If you have a 6 foot 7 keeper, fine, leave him unprotected to come and claim. Absolute basics.

Other end of the pitch, massive coaching issues. We don’t have a single offensive coaching expert on the coaching team. Potter was a left back, and god only knows what benny and Bjorne were, but not strikers for certain. Post match interview after Burnley, GP was pressed on low conversion rate. His answer, maybe we could have taken an extra touch or an extra pass? Jeezus frigging hell, an extra touch? An extra pass? Any striking coach worth their salt would look at our videos and conclude straight away we are taking too many touches, need to get shots off before the slide block. Or making too many passes trying to walk it into the net Arsenal style.

Third point, we are not being coached enough to be savvy and dirty in the trenches. Three examples of fouls against us in the last 2 games, where the player should have gone down at first contact. It’s what all teams do, except us, it’s called savvy. And dirt, grind, aggression, it’s nowhere, it’s all about look and polish.

I think we have massive coaching shortfalls. If GP was as good at the real micro detail of coaching talented players as he is at the ‘leadership and emotional intelligence techno b0ll0cks, then we would all be in a much better place.

Thank you for your player assessments, some interesting obersvations.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Interesting assessments, but it’s 99% about the players as individuals, so you don’t really address the issue in your title, is it the coaching? Which is what I was hoping to read about.

I think we have some massive coaching shortfalls. First Burnley corner last night, zone defence, 5 defenders lined up on the six yard line, corner taker hangs it right under the bar and Ryan is completely unprotected. Absolute disaster of coaching, planning and rehearsal. If you have a 6 foot 7 keeper, fine, leave him unprotected to come and claim. Absolute basics.

Other end of the pitch, massive coaching issues. We don’t have a single offensive coaching expert on the coaching team. Potter was a left back, and god only knows what benny and Bjorne were, but not strikers for certain. Post match interview after Burnley, GP was pressed on low conversion rate. His answer, maybe we could have taken an extra touch or an extra pass? Jeezus frigging hell, an extra touch? An extra pass? Any striking coach worth their salt would look at our videos and conclude straight away we are taking too many touches, need to get shots off before the slide block. Or making too many passes trying to walk it into the net Arsenal style.

Third point, we are not being coached enough to be savvy and dirty in the trenches. Three examples of fouls against us in the last 2 games, where the player should have gone down at first contact. It’s what all teams do, except us, it’s called savvy. And dirt, grind, aggression, it’s nowhere, it’s all about look and polish.

I think we have massive coaching shortfalls. If GP was as good at the real micro detail of coaching talented players as he is at the ‘leadership and emotional intelligence techno b0ll0cks, then we would all be in a much better place.

So apart from all that you are totally in the Potter camp?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The whole thing is based on a fallacy - that we have a problem. We don't. What we have is a work on progress, where we're putting together the pieces, working out what works and what doesn't and making or consistently, incrementally better. We have good coaching and a good squad.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The whole thing is based on a fallacy - that we have a problem. We don't. What we have is a work on progress, where we're putting together the pieces, working out what works and what doesn't and making or consistently, incrementally better. We have good coaching and a good squad.

ws_Happy_bunny_and_flowers_1280x800.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
In focussing on last night I’ve not included Dunk. Obviously he is “good enough” but he looked stale before the suspension. Perhaps there are only so many contract extensions you can do before the day job gets a bit samey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I agree....but its a sure sign of frustration from some when they resort to name calling the coaching staff or criticising the way a manager does his interviews....personally I’m not bothered

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We're just not quite good enough, don't see it changing, PL is a rapidly moving target, we've got a bit better but so has most of the rest, another squakey bum season and it'll be what it'll be.

It would be nice to get the rub of the green a few times to keep spirits up.

We do need an attacking coach, one who actually had a killer instinct as a player, not a library nerd.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I’ve just given three examples which show that the coaching of football is falling short. His coaching of teamwork, tactics, togetherness, leadership, flexibility on the pitch, motivation, collective responsibility, all that stuff is probably terrific. But deep down in the dirt, in the trenches, decision making instinct amidst the cut and thrust on the pitch, our individual players are not being well coached. I can’t see anyone there who is going to help NM analyse his lack of form and talk striker to striker in detail about what to change and why, his positioning, when to come short, when to play on shoulder, when to come near post, when to sit off, when to take a touch and when to pull the trigger, all that stuff, as a striker, and to help pull him out of his current trough. That’s the coaching I’m talking about, real ball at your feet football coaching.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003

We are a bottom five side with one win who can’t get three points at home. We may be a work in progress or we may be “too good to go down”. The number of Potter out posts last night suggests you are wrong in many people’s opinions.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If Lamptey had buried that first minute shot and Welbeck converted the 1 on 1 we’d be talking about a comfortable win, we’re not far off and it will come.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In focussing on last night I’ve not included Dunk. Obviously he is “good enough” but he looked stale before the suspension. Perhaps there are only so many contract extensions you can do before the day job gets a bit samey?

A few below average performances from Dunk: lets waste no time in jumping to the conclusion that the 300 games+, own product team captain last seen getting a red card for a headless and desperate attempt to win the game for his club suddenly lost the motivation and desire to do his "day job" in the best possible manner.

I generally agree with a lot of your football opinions but I think you should scratch that beautiful bald head of yours and rethink this a bit.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Agree with all of this

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We are a bottom five side with one win who can’t get three points at home. We may be a work in progress or we may be “too good to go down”. The number of Potter out posts last night suggests you are wrong in many people’s opinions.

Just because of the volume of Potter out posts last night which in my opinion was OTT ....(and tbh you could predict what someone was going to say before even looking) doesn’t make him wrong

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

The issue with this is that takes time already it is clear for our fourth season we are bottom six relegation fodder and hoping we have a get out of jail card hidden somewhere again .

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If Lamptey had buried that first minute shot and Welbeck converted the 1 on 1 we’d be talking about a comfortable win, we’re not far off and it will come.

That’s fine if we are just talking about last night. Game after game is going by though and nothing is changing/improving. Still a great team to watch and still a great team to play against. I’m still happy to be patient with both the coaches and the squad and wouldn’t advocate any changes this season regardless of the outcome. Can’t say I’m not worried though as the defensive issues and over playing up front are intensely frustrating.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wonder what Burnley fans are thinking.....or Sheffield Utd for that matter

I think there's probably 15 or 16 PL clubs where a significant number of fans believe that sacking the manager and buying a couple of £50m players would magically solve all problems.

However, to be as succesfull as i.e. Tony Bloom, you cant be a windcock like those fans asking for everyone to get sacked as soon as things dont go the way they want. The future belongs to those who plan for it, not for the ones making rushed decisions based on whatever the emotion of the day is.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here