Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Statistics

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Statistics is the enemy of this team on my mind. Don't get me wrong, I love stats and pour over them for betting opportunities, knowledge gain or simply something to do. I am a numbers geek.

Tony Bloom has taken this to the next level and made fortunes out of it and it is clearly at play at Bhafc. We sign players based on it anf I'm sure have an army of analysts rifling through them after every game. We seem to have over complicated our play, ignored the basics (SHOOOOOOTTT) and seem to me to ensure an easy completed pass stat (Short corners) than any kind of risk or reward to create a real threat.My suspicion is we over analyse this stuff and ignore the patently obvious.

Here's a stat for you. We only managed a paltry own goal against West Brom and Burnley at home. For all your touches in the opposition box, XG and heat maps that is the key one. We have zero physical presence up front.

Agree in the final third. Can see the thinking v Burnley, we weren’t going to get a lot of change from their towering side, so tactically played it short and around them and it worked for long periods OTHER than the crucial decision making moments of shoot! As you said.

However, I’d rather be in our situation of having to work on final third decision making than many other facets of our game. Much of our side is in good shape. Bissouma gets better, as does Lamptey. We have coped with the loss of our talismanic captain just about, and his return may well see a boost to the side.

Maupay has lost that crucial air of confidence that a striker needs, pausing on a couple of chances and not getting a shot off in time just speaks of a player bogged down in doubt. Welbeck on the other hand looked physical, sharp and excited to be playing - he could be a gem for us.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The stats show we have conceded the few chances we have allowed against us and been wasteful in front of goal but we knew that before even looking at the stats.

What I don’t believe is this is just luck and we will miraculously turn the corner without anything changing. The reason our goals scored to expected is so different is because we do not have a clinical striker (sadly Murray got too old) so unless Wellbeck can roll back the clock that problem will continue.

Welbeck shouldn't have to roll back the clock much, given that he is currently 5 years younger than Glenn was when we got promoted ???

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Here's are a couple of statistics, West Brom and Burnley are shite and currently sit 18th and 19th in the table we failed to beat both of them at home.

2 home wins all year, but for the happy clappers, there are still 4 home games to go against Liverpool, Southampton, Sheffield Utd and Arsenal.

1 point if we are lucky. ffs. :ffsparr:

Oh here's another stat from last night 19 shots and 3 on target ****ing crap!!!

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Statistics is the enemy of this team on my mind. Don't get me wrong, I love stats and pour over them for betting opportunities, knowledge gain or simply something to do. I am a numbers geek.

Tony Bloom has taken this to the next level and made fortunes out of it and it is clearly at play at Bhafc. We sign players based on it anf I'm sure have an army of analysts rifling through them after every game. We seem to have over complicated our play, ignored the basics (SHOOOOOOTTT) and seem to me to ensure an easy completed pass stat (Short corners) than any kind of risk or reward to create a real threat.My suspicion is we over analyse this stuff and ignore the patently obvious.

Here's a stat for you. We only managed a paltry own goal against West Brom and Burnley at home. For all your touches in the opposition box, XG and heat maps that is the key one. We have zero physical presence up front.

Whilst I agree with most of this, Welbeck could prove to be the physical presence up front, once he settles in and gets his first goal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The stats prove that we are a pretty decent team that would be in a better position if we could miss hitting the goalie a bit more.

This is an interesting point. A short while back The Guardian had an article trying to work out why this season has so many high scoring and fluctuating performances especially as there have been less shots this season. They said goalkeeper errors and fumbles have increased significantly. We must be having a run of bad luck if we’re hitting the ‘keeper but not benefiting from more fumbles.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The modern obsession with stats is a waste of time for the most part, unless YOU actually are involved in elite sport.

Only two stats matter, goals for and against at full time, and points total at the end of the season. We are currently crap on the first, and not looking too good on the second.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The modern obsession with stats is a waste of time for the most part, unless YOU actually are involved in elite sport.

Only two stats matter, goals for and against at full time, and points total at the end of the season. We are currently crap on the first, and not looking too good on the second.

I disagree.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I disagree.

Yeah OK, but you have only been on this forum 5 minutes, your actual face to face experience with football is in Sweden, your would like to lick between GPs toes, and you try to support him whatever.

I couldn’t give a shit if you disagree.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Sorry to pick on you but, in keeping with some other recent contributions, that assertion is not remotely proved or even supported by the “stats”.

Our ‘Xg for’ stat is the closest in the whole league to our actual goals tally.

Are, but our Xy and Xz stats are so much better. It all depends on which stats you make up, which ones you look at and which ones you believe in.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yeah OK, but you have only been on this forum 5 minutes, your actual face to face experience with football is in Sweden, your would like to lick between GPs toes, and you try to support him whatever.

I think you’re correct that Swansman operates at a very different level of analysis to your good self...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Sure.

Still disagree though. Statistics are interesting.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Agree in the final third. Can see the thinking v Burnley, we weren’t going to get a lot of change from their towering side, so tactically played it short and around them and it worked for long periods OTHER than the crucial decision making moments of shoot! As you said.

However, I’d rather be in our situation of having to work on final third decision making than many other facets of our game. Much of our side is in good shape. Bissouma gets better, as does Lamptey. We have coped with the loss of our talismanic captain just about, and his return may well see a boost to the side.

Maupay has lost that crucial air of confidence that a striker needs, pausing on a couple of chances and not getting a shot off in time just speaks of a player bogged down in doubt. Welbeck on the other hand looked physical, sharp and excited to be playing - he could be a gem for us.

I think this is where the stats work for us and against us. We've signed some absolute quality at the back and no one could argue they aren't value. Lamptey is the obvious and prime example who also would probably have gone elsewhere if we weren't playing young players and the type of football we do so credit to the club and Potter for that. There is some huge efficiency at work here.

Up top its a different story. There's only value in the 'One for the future' market seemingly and we wont pay over the odds for likes of Watkins. I understand why but look at the difference Ings makes to Southampton, Wilson at Newcastle (he's got 6 already despite being poor against us) or Antonio at West Ham. There are very few teams we play around us that don't have a forward who'd improve our team and might well make the difference between bottom 6 and challenging for the top 10 as we are good enough elsewhere on the pitch. I hope it's wellbeck but he is 30 soon and won't go on for ever. Maupay seems to alternate between good and awful, last night was in the later category.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

What absolute tosh.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think this is where the stats work for us and against us. We've signed some absolute quality at the back and no one could argue they aren't value. Lamptey is the obvious and prime example who also would probably have gone elsewhere if we weren't playing young players and the type of football we do so credit to the club and Potter for that. There is some huge efficiency at work here.

Up top its a different story. There's only value in the 'One for the future' market seemingly and we wont pay over the odds for likes of Watkins. I understand why but look at the difference Ings makes to Southampton, Wilson at Newcastle (he's got 6 already despite being poor against us) or Antonio at West Ham. There are very few teams we play around us that don't have a forward who'd improve our team and might well make the difference between bottom 6 and challenging for the top 10 as we are good enough elsewhere on the pitch. I hope it's wellbeck but he is 30 soon and won't go on for ever. Maupay seems to alternate between good and awful, last night was in the later category.

'Hot Feet' Iggle. Those strikers are in form, but haven't always been. Wilson has hit the ground running, as I've huge hopes Welbeck will for us. Maupay's confidence is on the floor. Doesn't mean it will stay there though.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Sorry to pick on you but, in keeping with some other recent contributions, that assertion is not remotely proved or even supported by the “stats”.

Our ‘Xg for’ stat is the closest in the whole league to our actual goals tally.

Yes but only 10 teams have scored more goals than us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here