Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Statistics

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Albion’s performances have consistently been at such a high level this season for such scant reward.

Itv obviously isn”t completely unprecedented for a team to play so well and get so few points but we must be racking up some pretty amazing stats if not records.

What are the “best” stats you are aware of to illustrate how close GP, Tariq, Biss, Adam, Dunky, Ben, BDB, Webbo, Solly, Neal, Leo, Alexis, Steven, Welbz, Ali, and the rest of our lovely lads have come? In individual matches or over the past few weeks as a whole...?

I’ve got a few (BBC match reports are a good source) but will kick off with one from yesterday:

Against Burnley we went past 100 shots for this season. Only Liverpool have had more.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
And, for the unhappy non-clappers, which objective performance stats best shine a light on how well deserved our meagre points tally really is...?

#PotterOut

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
As I said on the other thread we had played more games than all the other teams at that point. Based on shots per game average another 6-7 teams will have passed 100 shots by the time they finish game 8

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I believe we had 12 shots in the first half yesterday, the most we’ve had in the first half of a Premier League game.

We also restricted Palace to one shot in 100 minutes, a penalty. That’s the only time on Premier League history that a team has scored when their only shot in a a game was a penalty.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
As I said on the other thread we had played more games than all the other teams at that point. Based on shots per game average another 6-7 teams will have passed 100 shots by the time they finish game 8

Shhh, this isn't the place for common sense. :lol:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Our shots on target number is 28 the same as Fulham and we have played a game more

We have the second highest number of crosses in the division behind Fulham.

Oh shit we are like Fulham

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Fair point. The uncontextualised “only behind Liverpool” stat for total shots taken is just a bit TOO incredible... I’ll take 6th or 7th in the league as a truer picture on that.

Why “so few goals scored” though? (Apart from Maupay being shit).

Our Xg for goals scored is the closest to actual goals scored for any team in the Premier League this season.

Burnley, West Brom and Sheffield Utd combined have only scored one more goal than us.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Our shots on target number is 28 the same as Fulham and we have played a game more

We have the second highest number of crosses in the division behind Fulham.

Oh shit we are like Fulham

Don’t start that game!

Every team will have one or two outlying stats - especially on things like “number of crosses attempted”.

Overall Xg (which I have yet to be persuaded is not the best available metric for “points deserved on basis of performance” for a sample of games) suggests we are very unlike Fulham.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
If we maintain our current points haul for the remainder of the season we're on course for 28.5 points. Let's be optimistic and round it up to 29. :albion:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Don’t start that game!

Every team will have one or two outlying stats - especially on things like “number of crosses attempted”.

Overall Xg (which I have yet to be persuaded is not the best available metric for “points deserved on basis of performance” for a sample of games) suggests we are very unlike Fulham.

More pointing out that any stats can be twisted to make you feel better or worse about how we are doing but the only one that really matters is points on the board.

After 8 games we are where we deserve to be as whatever the stats show we have not taken those chances or won those points.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
More pointing out that any stats can be twisted to make you feel better or worse about how we are doing but the only one that really matters is points on the board.

After 8 games we are where we deserve to be as whatever the stats show we have not taken those chances or won those points.

The point of this thread is to highlight our very good performance levels and that significant impacts on a points tally come, in the short term, from external and unstable factors (to use some sport psychology jargon - attribution theory, anyone?).

For me these factors include strength of opposition, luck with deflections and blocks etc, refereeing decisions, goalkeeper and striker outcomes.

Keep everything else the same and with natural variation in these factors we’ll end up with plenty of points.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The stats prove that we are a pretty decent team that would be in a better position if we could miss hitting the goalie a bit more.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The point of this thread is to highlight our very good performance levels and that significant impacts on a points tally come, in the short term, from external and unstable factors (to use some sport psychology jargon - attribution theory, anyone?).

For me these factors include strength of opposition, luck with deflections and blocks etc, refereeing decisions, goalkeeper and striker outcomes.

Keep everything else the same and with natural variation in these factors we’ll end up with plenty of points.

The stats show we have conceded the few chances we have allowed against us and been wasteful in front of goal but we knew that before even looking at the stats.

What I don’t believe is this is just luck and we will miraculously turn the corner without anything changing. The reason our goals scored to expected is so different is because we do not have a clinical striker (sadly Murray got too old) so unless Wellbeck can roll back the clock that problem will continue.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Statistics is the enemy of this team on my mind. Don't get me wrong, I love stats and pour over them for betting opportunities, knowledge gain or simply something to do. I am a numbers geek.

Tony Bloom has taken this to the next level and made fortunes out of it and it is clearly at play at Bhafc. We sign players based on it anf I'm sure have an army of analysts rifling through them after every game. We seem to have over complicated our play, ignored the basics (SHOOOOOOTTT) and seem to me to ensure an easy completed pass stat (Short corners) than any kind of risk or reward to create a real threat.My suspicion is we over analyse this stuff and ignore the patently obvious.

Here's a stat for you. We only managed a paltry own goal against West Brom and Burnley at home. For all your touches in the opposition box, XG and heat maps that is the key one. We have zero physical presence up front.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The stats prove that we are a pretty decent team that would be in a better position if we could miss hitting the goalie a bit more.

Sorry to pick on you but, in keeping with some other recent contributions, that assertion is not remotely proved or even supported by the “stats”.

Our ‘Xg for’ stat is the closest in the whole league to our actual goals tally.

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We only managed a paltry own goal against West Brom and Burnley at home. For all your touches in the opposition box, XG and heat maps that is the key one. We have zero physical presence up front.
West Brom was our worst performance of the season. Evidenced by Xg of only 0.53.

Reflects mainly a very poor second half where we failed to achieve the same high level of performance achieved during the rest of the season so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here