Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Foul/Obstruction on Connelly

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Question for refs out there. I may accuse Connelly of going to ground easily but why was a freekick not given when there player went down and blocked his path and Connelly who would have been away tripped over him. Not deliberate but surely must have at least been obstruction

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Question for refs out there. I may accuse Connelly of going to ground easily but why was a freekick not given when there player went down and blocked his path and Connelly who would have been away tripped over him. Not deliberate but surely must have at least been obstruction

Ref missed it, no VAR for things like that. [emoji2369][emoji2369]

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Good question, ref seemed to be happy on the basis it was an accident ???

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I was more pissed about the two penalty situations. The first one, okay, fine its close range and the hands are in front of the body so he would have blocked it anyway. Only United gets a penalty in that situation.

But the other one, on the cross from Lallana, was obvious according to the current handball rule - some teams would have been awarded it... most days (I think the alignment of Saturnus and Jupiter plays a part in if penalties are given or not).

The foul on Connolly should be at least a yellow card and possibly a red one but I didnt get too furious about it - a free kick from that position rarely results in anything anyway. Still completely ridicilous that he didnt get it, Ben Mee slipping or not.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I was more pissed about the two penalty situations. The first one, okay, fine its close range and the hands are in front of the body so he would have blocked it anyway. Only United gets a penalty in that situation.

But the other one, on the cross from Lallana, was obvious according to the current handball rule - some teams would have been awarded it... most days (I think the alignment of Saturnus and Jupiter plays a part in if penalties are given or not).

The foul on Connolly should be at least a yellow card and possibly a red one but I didnt get too furious about it - a free kick from that position rarely results in anything anyway. Still completely ridicilous that he didnt get it, Ben Mee slipping or not.

A card would have been harsh, as it looked pretty accidental. But intent plays no part now in deciding whether it was a foul or not - so should have been a free-kick for us (to waste).

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Mike Dean seemed to want a quiet night and switched off VAR

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wrong player...from the Burnley board

“Ben slipped and cleaned out O'Connor and Mike Dean saw it exactly as that.”

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I thought we were unlucky in the first half when Lamptey had broken into box and beaten his man who then put his arm across Lamptey. Should have gone down as it was pretty clearly a foul (in my eyes).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wrong player...from the Burnley board

“Ben slipped and cleaned out O'Connor and The Complete And Utter Shyster saw it exactly as that.”

The ever listenable Matty Upson said the same thing that it was an accidental slip. I don’t see how that is relevant to it being a foul or not? Whether to give a card yes of course, but if he’s slipped so what, he took the player therefore it’s a foul. Nothing in the rules to say it’s not a foul if a player has accidentally slipped.

Mee ‘accidentally slips’ because he’s bang in trouble, try’s to turn to quick and loses his feet. He’s slip is through the trouble Connolly’s position has put him in. Utterly perplexed how that isn’t a foul. Although I think Dyche was officiating the game from what I could hear...

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I thought we were unlucky in the first half when Lamptey had broken into box and beaten his man who then put his arm across Lamptey. Should have gone down as it was pretty clearly a foul (in my eyes).

Glad he didn't 'go down' the ref might have been unsighted then we would have been saying he should have stood up and carried on, just another one of those things.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The ever listenable Matty Upson said the same thing that it was an accidental slip. I don’t see how that is relevant to it being a foul or not? Whether to give a card yes of course, but if he’s slipped so what, he took the player therefore it’s a foul. Nothing in the rules to say it’s not a foul if a player has accidentally slipped.

Mee ‘accidentally slips’ because he’s bang in trouble, try’s to turn to quick and loses his feet. He’s slip is through the trouble Connolly’s position has put him in. Utterly perplexed how that isn’t a foul. Although I think Dyche was officiating the game from what I could hear...

Pundit on the box said same as Upton ....and yes Dyche was doing a great impression of a windmill ...questioning every decision that didnt go Burnley’s way...was forever thus

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Classic example of honesty not paying dividends. Goes down and good chance we get a penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here