Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Worst start to a season since 2002-2003

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just the one. We were in the Championship and got relegated on the last game of the season away to Grimsby. I thought that was Zamora’s last goal for the Albion that day. Little did we know that our lord and saviour would be back at the Amex.

If my memory is correct we drew 2-2 with Grimsby.

So, twenty odd places below where we are now. Quite a lot worse than now. :shrug:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I keep asking this question and would love to get an answer.

Given the constraints placed on the manager by the club (Playing passing football, playing within a budget, not paying silly money (i.e. current market value) for players and bringing players through from the youth system)

Who do the naysayers think we can get to do a better job?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Funny thing, this happens a lot to relegation battling PL teams. They do well in the lower leagues, often for a lot of years, but once they get to PL its like the results magically get worse compared to when they climbed up. Hopefully science will catch up and find a reasonable explanation why it is common to get worse results playing Manchester United and Chelsea instead of Doncaster and Rushden & Diamonds.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Funny thing, this happens a lot to relegation battling PL teams. They do well in the lower leagues, often for a lot of years, but once they get to PL its like the results magically get worse compared to when they climbed up. Hopefully science will catch up and find a reasonable explanation why it is common to get worse results playing Manchester United and Chelsea instead of Doncaster and Rushden & Diamonds.

This conundrum will never be solved. But until it does this comparison is a totally fair one.:lolol:

The only thing we can do is react to the data as it stands. The only answer to this at present is . . .

. . . Micky Adams

Last edited:

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Shipping goals? Hardly. With Dunky coming back we’ll be fine.

Honestly I think we’re in a false position and will start climbing the table if we keep playing like we are.

Hardly shipping goals?

We have Let in the 3rd most this season behind wba and Liverpool ( because of the villa oddity )
That’s is what I call shipping goals. If you don’t what do you?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Happy to give Potter the benefit of the doubt after playing some good teams, but 2 points against the 2 worst teams in the division is unacceptable.

Truly woeful.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Happy to give Potter the benefit of the doubt after playing some good teams, but 2 points against the 2 worst teams in the division is unacceptable.

Truly woeful.

Tend to agree

We’ve had a tough start (Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs, Everton) and Palace away is tough for us

But.... West Brom and Burnley at home :censored::censored:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Like Wolves, Leicester and (maybe) Leeds you mean? Yeh, good point .....................................

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Tonight was nothing like the WBA 2nd half. We controlled that match tonight for 80 minutes. At no point were we hanging on like v WBA.
Goals change games though and we’re too slow in and around the penalty area, one too many touches or passes, their defence can get set so it fizzles out. Tonight Gross was the main culprit, he slows the game down too much.
White in CM gives us solidity but takes away the zip Alzate brings.
I’d like to have seen Connolly on a little earlier and MacArgie for Gross but it’s fine margins.
2 wins on the bounce and it looks very different.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Playing pretty football guarantees nothing - Norwich got relegated last year with the same problem.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It’s our worst start since the season since 02-03.

No it isn't. We started this season in the top division. That is certainly better than every year of our existence other than the last three and those between '79/80 & 82/83.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here