Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] PPV scrapped

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
As per The Athletic, this weekend's round of PPV games will be the last:

[tweet]1324368615949410304[/tweet]

Common sense wins, I guess. Can only imagine that appalling uptake of the PPV matches is what's driving this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pretty sure the Albion Burnley fixture will have them changing their mind.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So you're saying it was a PR disaster which didn't actually achieve anything? By the Premier League? I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Confirmation as to whether games will be screened on BT/Sky as per first lockdown onwards?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Common sense wins, although I understood uptake averaged 39,000 per game. Quick sum, £585000 split three ways (clubs and Sky/BT), £195000 per game to club.
More interesting though will be how the games will be shown, and they will that's for sure. As Sky/BT got a refund last season, will they be asked to cough up more money to show these extra games?

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
I think it's a question of them recognising 'diminishing returns', if lots 'get out of the habit' of football. People might then find better things to spend their money on in these cash-strapped days, and a major USP of the PL on tv Globally is the full-house crowd engagement.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I cant see whats been achieved here unless they are going to be made available for free or for less money elsewhere.

I am more than happy to pay £14.95 if the alternative is not being able to watch it, and particularly with another boring month of lockdown ahead of me!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It will be interesting to see what happens with the extra games.

As a non-subscriber, I was looking at paying to watch Albion games regardless.
Paying for NowTV passes and BT subscription, won't be much cheaper than PPV for me.

If Sky/BT Amazon are to get all the games again, then they will surely be seeing a significant increase in advertising/Subscriptions and NOwTV revenue.
I would hope that this goes back to the clubs in some way, although I can see it just lining Sky's pockets further to be honest.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But will they be shown free or not at all?

I daresay there is some negotiating to be done here.
As I understand it, the clubs got shafted from the deal last season.
Giving up a portion of the season's revenue, whilst Sky.BT got a bumper number of games leading to increased subscriptions/Advertising revenue.

Hopefully the clubs will get some of their lost matchday revenue back, from this development

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I daresay there is some negotiating to be done here.
As I understand it, the clubs got shafted from the deal last season.
Giving up a portion of the season's revenue, whilst Sky.BT got a bumper number of games leading to increased subscriptions/Advertising revenue.

Hopefully the clubs will get some of their lost matchday revenue back, from this development

The premier League lawyers don't seem the best. A few years ago it was agreeing a set amount of televised games on Sunday without realising it fell on a Christmas Eve.Then in the summer they had to pay money to the TV companies despite them getting more games and no-one having anything to do but watch football

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
if PPV is scrapped then people will moan that there is no legal way of watching these matches. The argument of extra costs to have cameras at the grounds is of course a nonsense as 100% of games are already shown around the world ,The premier league already provide various outlets with coverage and commentary. so no extra costs other than maybe some punditry before and after, which to be honest isn't required The big stumbling block was the price!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I cant see whats been achieved here unless they are going to be made available for free or for less money elsewhere.

I am more than happy to pay £14.95 if the alternative is not being able to watch it, and particularly with another boring month of lockdown ahead of me!

With respect, you've got WAY more money than sense then, particularly during lockdown :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Looking forward to a Black Friday NowTV deal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here