Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] New Sussex coaches announced

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
James Kirtley and Ian Salisbury are the joint new Sussex coaches. My guess is that they still need a batting coach but it's good to see some Sussex stalwarts in the role.

I did my Level 2 coaching certificate alongside James - he's a thoroughly nice bloke and an excellent coach.

Fignon's Ponytail knows what a good job he does

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
James Kirtley and Ian Salisbury are the joint new Sussex coaches. My guess is that they still need a batting coach but it's good to see some Sussex stalwarts in the role.

I did my Level 2 coaching certificate alongside James - he's a thoroughly nice bloke and an excellent coach.

Excellent news. Not least because we may have to play them :)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
My guess is that they still need a batting coach
We've needed one for about 10 years I'm not sure it's going to happen any point soon.

On a side note, Private Eye had a story the other day that the ECB are halving their county cricket correspondence so they'll only be covering 6 games next season.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Just need a spin coach now

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Absolutely. Really pleased for James, and will be interesting to see how he does. Unfortunately for my boy he doesn't have James coaching him for county sessions this coming season, but if what James has done with him over the last two winters is anything to go by, he should do well with the first team lads on a permanent basis.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Some good news finally around Sussex and county cricket generally.

Two of my favourite players growing up. Bit of a feel good factor there, I now feel a little bit more optimistic about next season.

I've just realised something. We've had ex-Sussex players as coaches and we've had ex-test players as coaches but this is the first time that we've had ex-Sussex test players as coaches. That's got to be a good sign

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Obviously a cheap option but that’s understandable.
They have everything to prove and will be up for it.
I, for one, will be getting behind them.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It doesn't take too much to impress you then! :facepalm:

After the 'season' that's just gone and the future I fear now for County cricket, no it doesn't, I'll take any bit of positive news I can!

Do you know they're not going to be good in these roles then? No one knows how they will do but the fact they do have coaching experience, were very good players in their day and used to play for Sussex meaning there is a little feel good factor there, make them seem like sensible and affordable appointments to me. Time will tell but I am pleased.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It doesn't take too much to impress you then! :facepalm:

If you can’t enjoy the announcement of two successful former players getting this opportunity , I’d give Sussex a wide berth if I were you . Because there may well be dark days to come, and that would probably be the Case whoever was appointed as coach.
The real fight is keeping the club afloat. I predict increasing pressure to merge counties.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
Quite happy with this. Sussex lads. Lets face it we were quite excited when Gillespie took the job (I did like someone comparing it to mourinho taking over at Bournemouth) - but the whole thing was meh...worried about club and games future but hope to be able to watch a game or two next year.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
James Kirtley was my hero when I was a kid. I genuinely believed he was world class

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
If you can’t enjoy the announcement of two successful former players getting this opportunity , I’d give Sussex a wide berth if I were you . Because there may well be dark days to come, and that would probably be the Case whoever was appointed as coach.
The real fight is keeping the club afloat. I predict increasing pressure to merge counties.

Nail on head. The counties rely on handouts from the ECB and crickets finances are in dire straits.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
James Kirtley was my hero when I was a kid. I genuinely believed he was world class
Him getting a michelle in the C&G final to beats Lancs from an awful position was probably my best day as Sussex fan to date.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I always remember Salisbury getting the odd 30 runs with the bat and taking 2-80 most matches

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Some good news finally around Sussex and county cricket generally.

Two of my favourite players growing up. Bit of a feel good factor there, I now feel a little bit more optimistic about next season.

Mine too and I’ve got to know IDK later in life

Sadly his wife - Emma - recently passed away of cancer.

So, really hope this works out for him...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here