Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your Last Live Matchday

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Inspired by the article on the BBC Sport website but not limited to 140 characters, what was your last match you went to see live and was there anything special about it?

Mine was at home to Watford on the 8th February, 10 days later my daughter was born so not going to football was planned for around 4 weeks as it didn't seem fair to leave the wife at home on her own with 2 kids. The first match I planned to go to after this was the Arsenal match and we all know how that turned out. Its now nearly 9 months later and I've no idea when we'll be able to go again.

What made this more memorable for me was that I'd decided to move from ESU to WSU in those 4 weeks and now won't get chance to say goodbye to those people I've sat with since the ESU opened, a little thing but something I think about occasionally.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Brighton vs Chelsea at the Amex, 29th August 2020.

Weather was decent. There was a gentle optimism that we would soon be back in greater numbers. Nice to watch Lamptey play in the flesh finally - got one moment of his blistering pace as he covered for Duffy as Chelsea launched a counter.

You could tell it meant a lot to the players to have fans there, as both the Brighton and Chelsea players clapped us at the end.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wolves away, I'm so pleased it was as it would have been the unmentionable home match before that many would have as their last game. Absolutely freezing up high in the stand miles from the pitch. Even saw the debut of A Mac, very happy with the point but disappointed we didn't sneak the win. As was common in away games last winter, the trains home were up the spout, got an earlier train from Wolves than we had booked but was still back at London about half an hour later than we should have been if we caught the correct train.

Technically, my last match was the Chelsea friendly but I don't count that as a real match.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I went to the Dripping Pan a couple of weeks ago to watch Lewes v Merstham. It was excellent, great entertainment on the pitch with Lewes earning a hard fought win. Even though there was a crowd of about 450 I still got a massive buzz walking up to the ground with the floodlights illuminating the night’s sky. I stood on the terrace and had a couple of beers with 2 mates who I had not seen since March, I shouted, heckled and booed. It felt normal, and it also felt great.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Came away thinking that we had just proved it was possible to have fans back, and the next step would be a cup game in September with some more fans allowed back, And that for October maybe 7,500 to 10,000 would be back for league games.

Little did I realise that this would be replaced by PPV.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Weather was decent. There was a gentle optimism that we would soon be back in greater numbers. Nice to watch Lamptey play in the flesh finally - got one moment of his blistering pace as he covered for Duffy as Chelsea launched a counter.

You could tell it meant a lot to the players to have fans there, as both the Brighton and Chelsea players clapped us at the end.

This. Seems a lifetime ago.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I went to the Dripping Pan a couple of weeks ago to watch Lewes v Merstham. It was excellent, great entertainment on the pitch with Lewes earning a hard fought win. Even though there was a crowd of about 450 I still got a massive buzz walking up to the ground with the floodlights illuminating the night’s sky. I stood on the terrace and had a couple of beers with 2 mates who I had not seen since March, I shouted, heckled and booed. It felt normal, and it also felt great.

Exactly this...even down to the two mates. Different ones though.

A guy in front of us had a portion of chips with hummus and pomegranate. As he said ‘the game’s gone.’

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Burgess Hill Town 0 Ramsgate 3
A couple of weeks ago.
An excellent game despite a heavy downpour. Both sides played decent football on an excellent pitch. And I get to have a couple of beers with my mates while we watch.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Junior Orange's match at the weekend. He played in goal first half and saved a penalty to keep his clean sheet, then scored all four for his team second half in what ended up being an exciting 4-4 draw.

:O

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Brighton vs Palace on 29th February

I wouldn't describe anything about that as "special"

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Wolves away for me too - good draw like the previous year but a better overall performance and an encouraging cameo from A Mac as noted above. Yes we were further from the pitch but last year we had blinding sun and a few silly boys near where I was with a smoke bomb or similar. That was the game an unfit Izzy made a brief appearance!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Away - Wolves - I recall being shocked at seeing so many men in the gents washing their hands probably!

Then Home Chelsea - so great to be back, but even then I felt the concourse area and outside and transport was not sustainable and that the Government would not agree to it once we got into the depths of winter and the virus came back. Sad, very sad.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Went to Burgess Hill on Saturday for the FA Trophy game.

Did the Chelsea friendly - seemed optimistic at the time that this was at least the temporary way forward - all seemed so well organised and controlled, atmosphere was much better than expected (was basically an 'away' crowd) and it was obvious the players appreciated having at least some fans in the ground. Wolves away was freezing - which was a complete contrast to the previous game there when it was absolutely roasting :lol::lol:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Like many, it was that home game for me 0:1
Prior to that I had one of the best away games for a while making the Sheffield trip a long weekender, taking in a beer festival and lots of Sheffield pubs.
Post Palace, I had a ticket for Wolves but decided not to go as the virus was just kicking in and had already made up my mind to miss the Arsenal game.
I have been tempted to go to my local AFC Uckfield matches but worried if I did I'd lose interest in the Albion.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Genuinely can't remember. I think it was vs Bournemouth, 28th December 2019.

That's the thing, until I saw the question asked I couldn't remember so I had to look back, even when I saw the date and score I couldn't remember anything about the match and only now are things coming back to me about it.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Exactly this...even down to the two mates. Different ones though.

A guy in front of us had a portion of chips with hummus and pomegranate. As he said ‘the game’s gone.’

Almost precisely this. 3 mates and 2 of them had loaded fries. Harveys on the terrace. :cheers:Kings Head pub garden beforehand with view of the Castle.:cheers:

Terrible game but worth it for the dodgy pen, a Merstham player losing it big time and getting a 2nd yellow and having to run the gauntlet past the Philcox stand to the serenade of 'F off back to Surrey, F off back to Surrey lalalala'

Have tickets for tonight's game Lewes v Carshalton but heard last night it's postponed as Carshalton's FA Trophy rearrangement takes priority. Welcome to Non League.

So that's that until December or later I suspect.???

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Shoreham vs Roffey last Saturday. Really decent game (although we lost 2-1) but great to be watching live football before this second lockdown.

The county scene is rapidly becoming my favourite way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Eastbourne away tonight then sadly I presume things will be on hold for 4 weeks.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whitehawk FC at home a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of mates. Enjoyed it a lot but the football wasn't great to be honest but that seemed almost beside the point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here