Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Johnny Depp Career Over?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
In the 21st century PC #metoo Hollywood?

Or will he win an appeal and ride out the storm?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A big production company will take the chance on him - they will judge how that does and see how toxic his brand is.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Bloody PC gone mad. Why can't a man beat his wife a bit and remain an A-List star? Snowflake#meetoo do-gooders. :moo:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bloody PC gone mad. Why can't a man beat his wife a bit and remain an A-List star? Snowflake#meetoo do-gooders. :moo:

It's ****ing ridiculous isn't it? First they don't want us to be racist, then they say we can't be sexist either?

FUMMING

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In the 21st century PC #metoo Hollywood?

I'm pretty sure wife-beating has been thought of as a bad thing before the #MeToo movement started...

Or is this another new culture war we now have to endure with people telling us it's fine for men to assault women?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't think its career over for him necessarily - this has shown that whilst he may not have been a model husband, Heard is a complete psycho.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If it stops those godawful perfume adverts he does, I'm all for it.

Every time I saw that advert of digging that hole in the desert I could not help thing of the ongoing court case and thinking " there's more than one hole you are digging ..."

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A big production company will take the chance on him - they will judge how that does and see how toxic his brand is.

Woody Allen and Roman Polanski still manage to get work.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I'm pretty sure wife-beating has been thought of as a bad thing before the #MeToo movement started...

Or is this another new culture war we now have to endure with people telling us it's fine for men to assault women?

Doesn't seem to have done POTUS much harm. I'd say nothing says we don't take assaulting women that seriously like making a serial abuser president of the most powerful country in the world.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Doesn't seem to have done POTUS much harm. I'd say nothing says we don't take assaulting women that seriously like making a serial abuser president of the most powerful country in the world.

Good point, well made.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't think its career over for him necessarily - this has shown that whilst he may not have been a model husband, Heard is a complete psycho.

Toxic relationship which has brought out the worst in both.
It happens. Dust your self down and move on.

It won't stop me watching any decent movies he appears in.
But it's been a while.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Is this yet another thread where [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] posts something contentious and then never posts again?

Some people are so needy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My understanding is he lost a libel case against the Sun.

He joins the illustriuous company of Andrew 'plebgate' Mitchell who lost his libel case against the Sun, yet retains his job as member of parliament for Sutton Coldfield.

If the world of show business rejects him, perhaps Mr Depp can reinvent himself as a Conservative and Unionist MP?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I was going to make a pithy comment about how his career has been over for a while but looking at his filmography, and this is all personal preference, I think his career has actually been over for a long while.

The last film he was in I'd actually choose to sit down and watch was Sleepy Hollow back in 1999.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Is this yet another thread where [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] posts something contentious and then never posts again?

Some people are so needy.

Not really, was watching ITV this morning and they were talking about it. I wondered what the court of public opinion that is NSC thought?

Be interesting to see when we return to 'normal' if the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney World gets a revamp?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Who knows and – quite frankly – who cares?

What I *do* find interesting is that one actor who hit women can be celebrated in their death (albeit called out for it by a minority) and yet hours later Depp is being (rightly?) berated by all sections of media for doing the same thing (allegedly**)

**Added because I don't know if this news as a result of the actual trial of the assault or just the libel one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here