Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton (permanent transfer to Ipswich)

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I’m probably being a bit unfair on MR he was a consistent keeper for us with not many howlers
But not many worldies either It just seemed like a half hearted dive the wrong way each time he faced a penalty
If it s a great penalty like the Leicester one today You re not saving it Conversely if it’s like Werners for Chelskie
You have a chance if you react rather than guess

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Why?

Personally I doubt it. After the Newport game, Steele said he had made homework on the Newport players and that it helped him in the shootout. Some keepers do this and others dont, very few when facing a L2 side I would imagine. It says a lot about him as a character, that he is that well-prepared. Its what you want from a benched keeper - you want someone who is thinking "if something happens today, I'll be ready" rather than someone who thinks "I'll probably be on the bench all day today as usual".

Of course no idea how Walton prepares for games, but I doubt Potter will replace Steele as second keeper unless Walton does really well in training, especially when there is nothing that indicates that Walton would be the significantly better option quality wise.

I think that was taken as tongue in cheek . How would he know whop has taken penalties for Newport in shootouts . I would be very surprised if there was information on NEWPORTS FIVE PENALTY TAKERS . One or two yes maybe but not five . I may be wrong and stand to apologise if proven wrong .

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think that was taken as tongue in cheek . How would he know whop has taken penalties for Newport in shootouts . I would be very surprised if there was information on NEWPORTS FIVE PENALTY TAKERS . One or two yes maybe but not five . I may be wrong and stand to apologise if proven wrong .

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those five had ever taken a penalty before, and probably had no idea where they were going to place it, even as they took their run up!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Maybe it was tongue in cheek - actually hope so because it would be pretty fun, but also maybe not: It wouldnt surprise me if Jason/Ben Roberts/the data team gathered info on all of Newports penalties in the last few seasons and perhaps all of the penalties taken by Newport players in their careers. All of that information is accessible these days.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Spurs scored a penalty against Sanchez so we have already seen it, but I know what you mean about Ryan.

He hardly ever dived the right way, Sadly.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Why?
Because in my opinion Walton is a better keeper. Steele can do his homework and that’s great, but I think GP will start to use Walton on the bench.

So because in your opinion Walton is better. It means Potter is going to relegate Steele to no 3. I don't think there is much to choose between them to be honest.
I'm not saying you are wrong by the way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

David Stockdale told me personally that Ben Roberts insists all the keepers memorise the opposition penalty takers. Obviously it is difficult to know who exactly is going to be selected, but generally teams stick with the usual ones.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I'm sure Ben Roberts did the homework, passing on all his information to Steele, as he does all Albion keepers prior to games.

Did wonder how hard this homework was to complete after all it’s researching at least 4 Newport County players who are not first choice penalty takers decision making when taking penalties. Did we sub it to Bielsa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
David Stockdale told me personally that Ben Roberts insists all the keepers memorise the opposition penalty takers. Obviously it is difficult to know who exactly is going to be selected, but generally teams stick with the usual ones.

Presumably that wasn't specifically about a penalty shoot out though? I can't think of any that Stockdale would have been involved in, unless we'd taken the Sheffield Wednesday play-off game to a shootout.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Presumably that wasn't specifically about a penalty shoot out though? I can't think of any that Stockdale would have been involved in, unless we'd taken the Sheffield Wednesday play-off game to a shootout.

He meant throughout a match, although of course penalties as well. Most strikers have a favoured foot.
Stockdale saved a penalty at Fulham and Birmingham too.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He meant throughout a match, although of course penalties as well. Most strikers have a favoured foot.

Well, it's much easier to remember during a match than it would be during a shoot out (realistically there are 2/3 players maximum likely to take one during a game). Funny distinction saying that "most" strikers have a favoured foot, are there players in other positions who don't?

The Sheffield Wednesday penalty save, and follow up save, will always be one of THE highlight moments at the Amex.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
In Norwich's penalty shoot-out at Spurs last season Tim Krul had all the Spurs players likely penalty direction written on his water bottle. He looked at the bottle between each kick, Norwich won the shoot-out.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In Norwich's penalty shoot-out at Spurs last season Tim Krul had all the Spurs players likely penalty direction written on his water bottle. He looked at the bottle between each kick, Norwich won the shoot-out.

Pickford did the same against Colombia in the world cup.

I'm sure there are plenty of instances where a goalie does try this, it doesn't work and you don't get to hear about it though.

At this level players will know that they have been watched and will know to mix it up

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Nothing to say that the regular penalty taker is going to put the ball in the same place every time of course! but obviously keepers need all the help they can get when it comes to trying to keep out a spot kick.

Come to that, any penalty placed properly and hit hard enough, should be pretty much unsavable, whatever a goalkeeper does.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Ryan clearly didn’t listen to Ben. I know he did make the occasional save but most of the time he went the wrong way and seldom looked like he had any chance of saving them :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here