Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton (permanent transfer to Ipswich)

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
The club has always spoken of wanting the development keepers to have first team competitive football. Not sure it would ever be possible to get them on loan to premiership club (would defeat the objective) perhaps overseas top level. I totally believe Walton would have been No2 and competing with no1 spot with Ryan if it wasn't for the terrible injury.

The fact we were in for Martinez and lots of rumors of us being in for Henderson as well, may well see our younger goalies move away to get full time football. Still at 25 and 23 years of age they may be happy biding their time. We should see what 2021 brings.

I haven't seen enough of Walton to make a call on his ability. One thing I have noticed, he does appear injury prone. For that reason I would be inclined to let him go given our options in that position with Sanchez, Ryan, Steele & Rushworth.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Chapeau to Sanchez, talk about getting the shirt and keeping it. Taken his chance big time and looked fantastic against Fulham. I think your call is happening, long may it continue.

It’s bad news for Walton but his form on loan has been patchy. Injuries haven’t helped either. He will probably get a Championship move, and with his contract coming to an end he will be on a free and be quids in.

I’m guessing Sanchez has shown a bit more. This is where Potter comes into his own - having the balls and vision to play a young and inexperienced player in such a key position , allowing him to jump the queue.
So far Sanchez almost looks too good to be true. It will be interesting to see how he handles the inevitable setbacks that happen for goalies. If he can come through it, we could have a serious talent on our hands. He’s been blessed with the perfect frame for a modern keeper.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I haven't seen enough of Walton to make a call on his ability. One thing I have noticed, he does appear injury prone. For that reason I would be inclined to let him go given our options in that position with Sanchez, Ryan, Steele & Rushworth.
Injury prone? In the last four seasons on loan he has played 34, 31, 34 and 46 league games - seems very quick to mend, at least!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Massive want him on loan don't they ?

Although they seem too skint to afford a loan fee :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Massive want him on loan don't they ?

Although they seem too skint to afford a loan fee :shrug:

Unless he's signed an extension, I think his contract is up in the summer. January is presumably our last chance to re-coop some of our investment, but I think I'd be looking for a transfer, not another loan. If Walton's not going to make our first team, then the lad has certainly earned the stability and security of a permanent move.
Doesn't sound as if Sheffield Wednesday are likely to be the right answer though - he will certainly want to be paid!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So far Sanchez almost looks too good to be true.

With Ryan, I had no confidence that he would ever save a penalty for us, he does of course have some other brilliant attributes.

It will be an interesting experience to see all 6ft6” of Sanchez filling the goal when we are next facing a penalty, I have to say that I will no longer be assuming the other team will automatically score.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Unless he's signed an extension, I think his contract is up in the summer. January is presumably our last chance to re-coop some of our investment, but I think I'd be looking for a transfer, not another loan. If Walton's not going to make our first team, then the lad has certainly earned the stability and security of a permanent move.
Doesn't sound as if Sheffield Wednesday are likely to be the right answer though - he will certainly want to be paid!

I could see Walton going to a lower champ club for 500k

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
With Ryan, I had no confidence that he would ever save a penalty for us, he does of course have some other brilliant attributes.

It will be an interesting experience to see all 6ft6” of Sanchez filling the goal when we are next facing a penalty, I have to say that I will no longer be assuming the other team will automatically score.
Spurs scored a penalty against Sanchez so we have already seen it, but I know what you mean about Ryan.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I guess the problem is, the impact of COVID on championship clubs. And while a useful young (ish) player - those kind of goalkeepers in the championship don't tend to go for loads do they? Potentially couple of million tops

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I guess the problem is, the impact of COVID on championship clubs. And while a useful young (ish) player - those kind of goalkeepers in the championship don't tend to go for loads do they? Potentially couple of million tops.

Yes, that's more like it.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Lower Championship, yes - but £500K is a bit of an insult, IMHO.

6 months left on contract, less money around. I very much doubt it will be much more . Maybe a million.
He will probably hold in anyway, to get himself a decent deal in the summer.
In a way, it’s a shame we didn’t cash in sooner, but if Sanchez is as good as it looks it will hardly matter

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
6 months left on contract, less money around. I very much doubt it will be much more . Maybe a million.
He will probably hold in anyway, to get himself a decent deal in the summer.
In a way, it’s a shame we didn’t cash in sooner, but if Sanchez is as good as it looks it will hardly matter
Yes. Under normal times a few million, but those clubs are burning through cash. We won't get much

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Surprised he got the gig today in front of Steele, simply rotating our keepers presumably, or trying to work out which of them to keep come the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here