Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings v Spurs

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sanchez - 7 - Brilliant reaction save from Veltman, got a sturdy clearance on him and can pass. Will he keep his place?

Lamptey - 8 - MOM - constant threat, boundless energy, regular outlet. Composed finish
Webster - 6 - Carried the ball beautifully at times. Switched off against a world class player
Veltman - 6 - Clearly a good footballer, not sure he's totally adapted yet to the harum scarum of the PL
Burn - 6 - Tidy and involved in plenty of our good attacking moments
March - 6 - Typical Solly performance. Solid, tidy, hard working, but shelled crucial chances to deliver a killer ball

White - 7 - Provided excellent defensive cover and kept our possession ticking over
Bissouma - 7 - Integral part of a dominant midfield. Outplayed his more lauded opponents

Gross - 7 - Shocking start, but improved dramatically. Showed a wonderful eye for a pass
Lallana - 5 - Lovely touches, but brain dead defending for the penalty
Trossard - 4 - Peripheral, though out of position

GP - 7 - I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Tried something different in a game we were always likely to lose anyway and it wasn't far off working.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Sanchez: 7 - Didn't have much to do and no chance with the goals, but remarkably calm and good with the ball at his feet...and amazing reactions to deal with Veltman's ball. Wouldn't be unhappy if he kept the shirt.

Lamptey: 8 - scared them shitless again and a good finish. Probably MOM
Webster: 6 - Not a bad game but one misplaced pass in the 1st and lost Bale for the goal, but did well other than that.
Veltman: 7 - did a lot well and little wrong. A really good option to have. I like him.
Burn: 6 - I can't help but feel he's the weak link in defence; He gives his all but when Dunk is back, i hope he is the one that makes way.
March: 6.5 - Got into some good positions, but a lack of incisiveness was his downfall again. Definitely a confidence player.

White: 6 - Not terrible, but not a long-term solution. Broke up play okay but when there's 3 CBs i wonder if a CDM is needed.
Bissouma: 5 in 1st, 7 in 2nd - Anonymous in the 1st half but improved. I still think he plays better with Alzate.

Gross: 6.5 - Slowed down play a bit, but his crossing and general delivery caused them all sorts of problems.
Lallana: 7 - Our best attacking outlet. Not a pen, but clearly riled him up and he was at the heart of all the good things we did. Good to get 90 mins from him too.
Trossard: 6 - showed glimpses, but isn't suited to that position. Needs someone to play off, hasn't the pace or the presence to be a focal point.

Subs: all 6

GP: I feared a spanking before the game, but we did really well. I don't think we should be resorting to BDB up front in the closing few minutes at all and I question why Alzate hasn't appeared recently but we did really well.

Still Potter IN, but we need a result against Burnley.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Sánchez - 7 - great save
Lamptey - 7
Veltman. - 6
Webster - 7
Burn - 6
March - 6
White 6
Bissouma - 7
Lallana - 6
Gross - 6
Trossard - 5.5 - perhaps harsh

Bernardo 4 - shadow of the player from 2 years ago
Welbeck 5
MacAllister 5

Felt we played well. Wish we started with a forward, but a lot better than Monday.

Ref - 3 nightmare
VAR 3 Moss, had a lovely evening with his Pringles, Mars bar and cans of coke.

GP - brave selection 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Webster didn’t do his job. Even the BBC said Brighton left Bale completely unmarked.

The basics you’d expect at any level of the game.

But you would also expect White to have tracked that run......

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
But you would also expect White to have tracked that run......

I disagree. Webster was with Bale and then watched the ball rather than the man. Basic defending. And Veltman had a good view and could have given Webster a shout or gone to Bale himself.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Sanchez - 7

Webster - 7
Veltman - 8
Burn - 6

Lamptey - 9 - MOM (have you ever seen Son that quiet?!)
Bissouma - 7
White - 6
March - 7

Gross - 6
Trossard - 6
Lallana - 7

Bernardo - 5
Welbeck - 6
Mac Allister - 6

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Watched the game again and my conclusion is that Spurs had an off day. Any other day and they would have punished our multiple turnovers in our own half.

Sanchez - 7.5 Handles the pressure of his top flight game well. Good feet. Great save on Veltman's shot and no mistakes. I don't mind Ryan but good to know we have strong back ups.

Lamptey - 8.5 - Tied for man of the match with Lallana for me. Great all around. Very happy for him that he scored.
Webster - 6 - Decent except his through balls have been going stray and he gave away the ball twice to Son in very dangerous spots.
Veltman - 6 - Decent except he almost scored on ourselves and he nearly gave the ball to Spurs in our own 6 yard line in extra time...
Burn - 6.5 - Same as Webster and Veltman with less mistakes.
March - 4 - I am generally not a March fan but his previous two outings he was starting to prove me wrong. But today, I did not see anything from him that a league 1 player couldn't do. Probably being too harsh but I just feel that in premier league, each player should be really really good at something and I did not see anything special out of him. Too slow in decision making for me.
White - 6.5 - Enjoy having him play holding mid. His defensive contribution is fantastic and he does enough offensively to be adequate. Very similar player to Alzate with Alzate contributing a little more offensively and White contributing a bit more defensively. I can see White keeping this position anytime we play top 6 team.
Bissouma - 4 - I am a big fan of Bissouma but today was just not his day. Hardly any positive contribution offensively or defensively.
Gross - 7 - I am generally very anti Gross but he had a great game today. Great conduit between our defense and offense and did a lot of hustling today. Would have given him a higher score but Spur's second goal was partially his fault as he did not close down him man fast enough and giving him plenty of time to stop the ball, look up and easily pick out Bale. (Webster and Veltman are also guilty of leaving Bale alone in the box)
Lallana - 8.5 - His intensity at this age should be a lesson to all our other players. The number of his sprints and how is all over the pitch is just amazing. Great touch and our most creative player today. Not sure the penalty was a penalty but maybe... His performance dropped half way through the second half but still was adequate to see the job through as we had no subs left.
Trossard - 5 - No spark today.

Bernardo - 5 - Nothing special at all today. His confidence is completely shattered. Potter has to inject confidence in him if he is going to play him. I know he is a great footballer, maybe if March is injured, he can get a run of a few games in a row and get his confidence back.
MacAllister - 5 - Didn't do anything special today
Wellbeck - 6 - Needs more time but I could sense little sparks wanting to fire...

Potter - 6 - Even though I thought it was a strange lineup, it worked out decently. Maybe he was trying to send a message that no one's name will automatically be on the starting line up (Maupay and Ryan) which was a necessary message to send in my opinion.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I disagree. Webster was with Bale and then watched the ball rather than the man. Basic defending. And Veltman had a good view and could have given Webster a shout or gone to Bale himself.

If you have a DM whose role is to protect the back four, their primary role is to assist, not to have a player within 4 yards of Bale is unforgivable at this level.

White should have been assisting

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sanchez - 7 - Brilliant reaction save from Veltman, got a sturdy clearance on him and can pass. Will he keep his place?

Lamptey - 8 - MOM - constant threat, boundless energy, regular outlet. Composed finish
Webster - 6 - Carried the ball beautifully at times. Switched off against a world class player
Veltman - 6 - Clearly a good footballer, not sure he's totally adapted yet to the harum scarum of the PL
Burn - 6 - Tidy and involved in plenty of our good attacking moments
March - 6 - Typical Solly performance. Solid, tidy, hard working, but shelled crucial chances to deliver a killer ball

White - 7 - Provided excellent defensive cover and kept our possession ticking over
Bissouma - 7 - Integral part of a dominant midfield. Outplayed his more lauded opponents

Gross - 7 - Shocking start, but improved dramatically. Showed a wonderful eye for a pass
Lallana - 5 - Lovely touches, but brain dead defending for the penalty
Trossard - 4 - Peripheral, though out of position

GP - 7 - I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Tried something different in a game we were always likely to lose anyway and it wasn't far off working.

“And the winner of the hotly-contested NSC crazy rating of the week is......“

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
“And the winner of the hotly-contested NSC crazy rating of the week is......“

I was close to that mark as well.

Just seemed a bit careless yesterday in possession.
Gave him a 6 in the end, as in comparison to the rest he was average.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I was close to that mark as well.

Just seemed a bit careless yesterday in possession.
Gave him a 6 in the end, as in comparison to the rest he was average.

Pretty sure I saw a level of technique and vision above anything I’ve seen for Albion in a long time. Less so in the second half admittedly, but 5 is silly.
I thought Kane fouled HIM for the pen!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Pretty sure I saw a level of technique and vision above anything I’ve seen for Albion in a long time. Less so in the second half admittedly, but 5 is silly.

I did against WBA, not yesterday.

To be fair he wasn’t helped by the lack of offensive option.

The penalty was definitely won by Kane, but did Lallana need to challenge?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I did against WBA, not yesterday.

To be fair he wasn’t helped by the lack of offensive option.

The penalty was definitely won by Kane, but did Lallana need to challenge?

Could Bissouma have cleared it, is another question?
I’ve seen some reckless challenges by Albion players over the years , including one at Palace the other week. Lallana’s wasn’t that And the ball was there to be won. The main factor was a genius bit of gamesmanship by our esteemed England captain.
In the first half I saw, going forward, Lallana causing a lot of problems. His vision confuses the opposition.
Not enough to score a goal obvs, but that’s a wider problem.
I’d give him a 7 last night. Nearer a six than an eight. So you and I are not miles away. But there’s no way he was a 5.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Could Bissouma have cleared it, is another question?
I’ve seen some reckless challenges by Albion players over the years , including one at Palace the other week. Lallana’s wasn’t that And the bill was there to be won. The main factor was a genius bit of gamesmanship by our esteemed England captain.
In the first half I saw, going forward, Lallana causing a lot of problems. His vision confuses the opposition.
Not enough to score a goal obvs, but that’s a wider problem.
I’d give him a 7 last night. Nearer a six than an eight but still a seven.

Re Bissouma - yes.

It wasn’t reckless but had an element of stupidity, not goalside, attacking the ball from the wrong direction, at best it was going to loop up and forward a couple of yards.

Not doubting Lallana has been a bargain, has vision or anything like that, but thought he was off it yesterday. We created barely anything yesterday, and what we did in the first half was more a result of Lamptey, Gross and March.

As per my post, the lack of option is not Lallana’s fault.

Edit - 6 shots apparently.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

If LAllana hadn't been watching the ball he could have side stepped and watch Kane fall flat on his arse. that would have been pure gold. MotD could/should start a cheating tit of the week clips compilation.

Sanchez - 7.5
Lamptey - 8
Webster - 5
Veltman - 6
Burn - 5
March - 5
White - 7
Bissouma - 6.5
Gross - 7.5
Lallana - 8
Trossard - 5

GP - 7.

If we'd started with a striker instead of Trossard, and Trossard on the left instead of March . . . .who knows. Friday is a 6 pointer . . . .I'm not even going to take a guess at who will start. could be anyone!

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Sanchez - 7
Webster - 6
Veltman - 7.5
Burn - 6
Lamptey - 8
Bissouma - 6.5
White - 6
March - 6
Gross - 6. 5