Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR not the issue

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The officials using it is. All of the decisions tonight should have gone the opposite way were somebody halfway capable have looked at them. The officiating in this country is a joke and the FA needs to pull their finger out.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The officials using it is. All of the decisions tonight should have gone the opposite way were somebody halfway capable have looked at them. The officiating in this country is a joke and the FA needs to pull their finger out.

Well VAR is clearly an issue.

But yes, the officials are staggeringly poor

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Biss' handball when it was launched at him from an inch away.
Dier's non handball as he controlled it would suggest it's not just VAR.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Kane's Foul:

Soft as he did buy the foul. Ref gave it. Turned out to be on the line. No clear and obvious error. Penalty.

Trossard;

Not clear and obvious. Stayed with on-field decision.

March:

Looked at over and over again. Ref felt he played the ball first. Not clear and obvious. Play continues. Goal.

All of these could have arguments either way. But I wouldn't class any as errors.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Biss' handball when it was launched at him from an inch away.
Dier's non handball as he controlled it would suggest it's not just VAR.

His arm was not in an unnatural position. There was no way that would have been given by VAR.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
His arm was not in an unnatural position. There was no way that would have been given by VAR.

He wasn't in the box but it was a damn sight more of a free kick than the decision 5 minutes earlier.

I hope for our goal, when the ref was looking at the screen, Webster was shouting:-

'look there you are, right there, on both screens'.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You could see the ref was in two minds over Lampteys goal.
Even after scratching / brushing his hair didn't give confidence it was going to go our way.
Although I'm glad it did, you can see what pressure the officials are under.
This game probably would've ended up a draw, as Bales goal was our downfall.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Thought they got all 3 VAR decisions wrong. Rank stupidity for the 1st one, Kane backs in, anyone who's ever played the game could see that. 2nd the ref could miss it VAR cannot and the 3rd I thought Solly didn't get a touch. Consistent tonight, consistently shit...

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He wasn't in the box but it was a damn sight more of a free kick than the decision 5 minutes earlier.

I hope for our goal, when the ref was looking at the screen, Webster was shouting:-

'look there you are, right there, on both screens'.

Apologies, thought you meant the one at the end.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We need to wise up . . .we're losing out, regularly, to what I will continually call cheats. being honourable and respectful counts for nothing these days, be it sport, business and particularly politics. If you want to succeed, cheat, act like a ****, you will get results and be rewarded. Look at Harry Kane. reversing, even has time to look over his shoulder to doubly make sure he hits Lallana and reverse dive into the ground to 'win' he's a cheat, he's a ****, and it's ruined the beautiful game.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Two major improvements they should make to VAR

1. The VAR ref is not someone on the roster of PL refs but a former ref (who can't physically do the job on the pitch anymore)
2. All decisions time-boxed to 30 seconds, anything which takes longer than that is not "clear and obvious" and stays with the on-field call

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Kane's Foul:

Soft as he did buy the foul. Ref gave it. Turned out to be on the line. No clear and obvious error. Penalty.

Trossard;

Not clear and obvious. Stayed with on-field decision.

March:

Looked at over and over again. Ref felt he played the ball first. Not clear and obvious. Play continues. Goal.

All of these could have arguments either way. But I wouldn't class any as errors.

Kane’s foul - should have been looked at the same as Pogba on Connollys was - no consistency. Was it on the line? It’s either on the back end of the line (when the foul was committed - Kane was bending over so his feet are irrelevant... or it was just outside. Certainly not clear and obvious. Should have been a free kick or nothing. The VaR official made the decision stupidly quickly and if it was just from that one camera angle we saw, it was very very very tight. So no pen as not clear and obvious.

Trossard - it’s a pull back and a pen. A little soft but 100 times more a pen than the one we got given against us at palace which also WASN’T checked pitch side - bizarrely. No consistency.

March one - it’s a foul, quite clearly. But how far back do they take this VAR thing? I’m sure when Man U scored last season at the Amex and they thought the ball was out of play, the comms said we had time to reset so it’s not checked / pulled back? No consistency. I think the arrogant prick only gave us it because he could see how close he was to the decision he got wrong.

So 2-1 spurs on VAR.

Let’s not get started on Webster’s fine tackle on Son, Gross brilliant tackle to set us away that was given as a foul etc etc as we know at Spurs the ref will give them more than us - which is just disgusting that we have to accept that.

So VAR - ways to use it better?

For me:

CLEAR RULES:

Slightly thicker offside lines so the millimetre decisions for armpits off side etc can’t be debated.

Go with the onfield decision for all pens - just bin VAR off. Only exception is if there’s NO CONTACT on a player - ie a blatant dive - saves the subjective decision use of VAR.

For anything in the build up to the goal - can’t be checked. Only offside.

Just think it would work better and we can start celebrating ****ing goals again. Tonight was another disgrace whether it’s VAR or the muppets using it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We need to wise up . . .we're losing out, regularly, to what I will continually call cheats. being honourable and respectful counts for nothing these days, be it sport, business and particularly politics. If you want to succeed, cheat, act like a ****, you will get results and be rewarded. Look at Harry Kane. reversing, even has time to look over his shoulder to doubly make sure he hits Lallana and reverse dive into the ground to 'win' he's a cheat, he's a ****, and it's ruined the beautiful game.

Are you arguing that we should ruin it more?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Two major improvements they should make to VAR

1. The VAR ref is not someone on the roster of PL refs but a former ref (who can't physically do the job on the pitch anymore)
2. All decisions time-boxed to 30 seconds, anything which takes longer than that is not "clear and obvious" and stays with the on-field call

especially 2. 30 sec is generous to flag an obvious error. there will be an incident where a penalty or goal is given while still reviewing a previous incident, causing all manner of chaos.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That was the worst performance by a ref I’ve seen using VAR

Abysmal.

As a spurs fan, I’d like to hear your take on the 3 main decisions? Thought we were good for a point tonight but then we were good for 1 v Chelsea, 3 v Man U, 3 v Palace - so not sure if it’s us or just a bit of bad luck at the moment! We kept Kane and Son incredibly quiet but frustratingly a world class player off the bench we forgot to mark :facepalm:

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I see Mourinho & Potter have both come out and said they don’t understand the decisions or rules any more. What hope for the rest of us?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As a spurs fan, I’d like to hear your take on the 3 main decisions? Thought we were good for a point tonight but then we were good for 1 v Chelsea, 3 v Man U, 3 v Palace - so not sure if it’s us or just a bit of bad luck at the moment! We kept Kane and Son incredibly quiet but frustratingly a world class player off the bench we forgot to mark :facepalm:

Thought Kane’s was a pen - it’s silly by Lallana - Something Murray was an expert in

Thought it was a foul on Trossard - pulled him back

Brighton goal should have been ruled out

Ref let a load of late challenges on both sides go as well.

Thought it was a poor game low on quality, Lampety was by far the stand out player, but apart from that both sides poor - Spurs giving the ball away non stop and Brighton not doing anything with the ball when handed to them - sideways and backwards.

Spurs prob had the better chances, but even they came from errors.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Tonight is the first time I have begun to fall a little out of love with football. Man U was bad, but I felt angry and annoyed with that. Tonight I just felt sad that so much of the fun of football has gone because of VAR. I didn't even cheer Lamptey's goal, as I was sure it would be chalked off - and when it wasn't, I still couldn't cheer as it was then too late and I was just shaking my head.

As one poster put on the main match thread - at least we lost to a 'proper' football goal. Even if it was terrible marking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here