Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bobby Charlton - Diagnosed With Dementia

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Very sad to hear on sky sports that Sir Bobby Charlton has been diagnosed with Dementia.

I never say him play but a friend of mine who saw him play alot, said he was the most complete midfielder.r

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I met him once, when my dad was involved with the Bobby Charlton football school, that came to East Sussex way back.
A proper gent and always attentive to questions asked.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Lovely bloke who was a regular at my Mum's Fish & Chip shop in Knutsford, Cheshire.

Always behind the wheel of a big, wafty Jag.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I missed his football career, but through footage I’m fully aware of his footballing greatness. At the same time he’s obviously a humble working class gentleman, and always a class act in his evocations of the air disaster and his lost friends.

I hope he has a comfortable final chapter to an incredible life.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I met him once, when my dad was involved with the Bobby Charlton football school, that came to East Sussex way back.
A proper gent and always attentive to questions asked.

Me too, at Crawley when my eldest was on a course with Michael Standing who won his age group competition. Had time for a chat between breaks. What a nice unassuming guy he was. A proper role model who doesn’t deserve this type of end.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Me too, at Crawley when my eldest was on a course with Michael Standing who won his age group competition. Had time for a chat between breaks. What a nice unassuming guy he was. A proper role model whose like will never be seen again.
RIP Sir Bobby, you will always be my hero.

He’s still alive, bodily.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Me too, at Crawley when my eldest was on a course with Michael Standing who won his age group competition. Had time for a chat between breaks. What a nice unassuming guy he was. A proper role model who doesn’t deserve this type of end.

For me it was in Bexhill around 1978.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Very sad. Did he play for Preston at the Goldstone once, or am I imagining that?

That would have been in October 1974, a 4-0 defeat.

He was manager of PNE at the time but also played in 38 matches that season. So there is a strong possibility he was playing.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very sad news.

Having experienced it with a family member of mine, I wouldn't wish it on anyone to have to watch someone they love being afflicted with it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes. Player manager. They tonked us 4-0. I was there.

Very sad news.

Me too. I was only a nipper but still remember the reverence for the bloke. Remember him running down by the chicken run and although he was slowed by age, I was made fully aware by my father that I was fortunate to be watching a true great.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Very sad ....

He was one of the first footballers to be recognised on a global scale - BC & Pele were known in almost every country arround the world.

Might this be another example to highlight the perils of heading those old leather [very heavy when wet] lace up footballs?
To cheer folk up: we've had a fair few strikers over the years that couldn't remember where the back of the net was :smile::smile:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My first ever live game was Manchester United v Southampton at the Dell , about 1969.
My Dad, who was not a great football fan took me and my eldest sister, as my sister was a United fan.
Most of the European Cup winners played that day, and United lost to a Jimmy Gabriel goal.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
My first ever live game was Manchester United v Southampton at the Dell , about 1969.
My Dad, who was not a great football fan took me and my eldest sister, as my sister was a United fan.
Most of the European Cup winners played that day, and United lost to a Jimmy Gabriel goal.

I saw Bobby Charlton at the Dell in November 1971, United won 5-2 with a hattrick from George Best.
As well as a few others also saw him playing at the Goldstone when Preston beat us 4-0, and seem to recall the North Stand wanting 5, given Preston and Charlton were so much in charge of the game.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
That would have been in October 1974, a 4-0 defeat.

He was manager of PNE at the time but also played in 38 matches that season. So there is a strong possibility he was playing.

It was my first game and he definitely played. I believe he came on as sub.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here