Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PM's announcement - at some point today, when he feels like it

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"The prime minister will be joined by England's chief medical officer Chris Whitty and the government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance."

Lockdown looking imminent.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Monday was due to be my first full week's work and pay since March. Doubt he will allow gyms to stay open so looks like that won't last long.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Monday was due to be my first full week's work and pay since March. Doubt he will allow gyms to stay open so looks like that won't last long.

I fear you are right but I really hope not. Since I seriously got back into gym / training routine I’ve found it super beneficial for my mental health and a get out from working at home etc.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just about to leave for a long weekend away better last until Tuesday

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I fear you are right but I really hope not. Since I seriously got back into gym / training routine I’ve found it super beneficial for my mental health and a get out from working at home etc.
If they don't support councils, there will be loads of leisure centres and gyms closing for good. Councils have helped support keep their centres going where possible but they are potless. Virtually all centres are run buy not for profits who still have the running costs to pay. Memberships have been decimated and this will just make it worse. You are spot on about mental health but there are loads of other services provided by these sites that benefit physical wellbeing. GP referral schemes, Cancer Rehab, Cardiac Rehab, Diabetes prevention to name a few. Also the overwhelming percentage of kids' swimming lessons.

And this is just one small sector that will be massively affected - just happens to be the one I know best. Without targeted financial assistance rather than the blanket assistance of last time, it will be the death knell of a fair few sectors.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
If they don't support councils, there will be loads of leisure centres and gyms closing for good. Councils have helped support keep their centres going where possible but they are potless. Virtually all centres are run buy not for profits who still have the running costs to pay. Memberships have been decimated and this will just make it worse. You are spot on about mental health but there are loads of other services provided by these sites that benefit physical wellbeing. GP referral schemes, Cancer Rehab, Cardiac Rehab, Diabetes prevention to name a few. Also the overwhelming percentage of kids' swimming lessons.

And this is just one small sector that will be massively affected - just happens to be the one I know best. Without targeted financial assistance rather than the blanket assistance of last time, it will be the death knell of a fair few sectors.
Night clubs will be a thing of the past

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Boris - "A new national lockdown is coming, but the football is an essential service so must keep going"!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
William and Kate are expecting a new baby and he wants to share the news to the nation.

Rejoice! Rejoice!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wouldn't it be lovely if he were to announce his resignation?

Instead it will be

Oven-ready vaccine (soon)
World beating track and trace, provided by my good friends from my university days
Hard Brexit in January to coincide with the peak in Covid deaths - we are Taking Back Control!

I wish I could say you couldn't make it up, but I have no idea what he will actually say. Complete lockdown, but not for another few days (how many and why?). We couldn't take Sage advice 3 weeks ago because we thought we'd take a gamble, then couldn't back down because it would look like we were doing what Starmer wanted. Now the situation has totally changed (as, er Sage, predicted) we will now go into total lockdown, but I must emphasize it will be a different total lockdown to the one the opportunist Starmer, advocated.

:facepalm:

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Night clubs will be a thing of the past

Not sure about that - same with restaurants. There is a very good chance that a lot of the current businesses will fold but it is a sector than people can restart when things eventually get back to normal. Doesn't help those that go bust or those that lose their jobs though. But there will be sectors that are publicly funded like Leisure Centres or subject to a change in behaviour - possibly like bars - that may not recover. You may not be able to go to your current gym in 5 years time but there will be private ones to choose from if there is demand. But want to take your kids swimming? You might need a David Lloyd membership. Cinemas might be another industry at risk. New films going straight to Netflix or Amazon might be the new thing.

Even if we find a vaccine in the next couple of months, things are likely to get worse for a long time in some sectors and it may well be that small, more independent business go bust and they are replaced by the deep pocketed big boys when things get better. How many local pubs will go - to be replaced by a Spoons, for example?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably announce lockdown starts at midnight tonight so that every tvvat in the land can go out and party like it's 1999. Which in many of their shit towns it actually is

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Damned if they do press ahead with another lockdown and equally damned if they don't. Weird how people always support the alternative to the choice they make then moan to all and sundry when that comes becomes the governments Choice in the battle against an previously unknown illness. So many experts on here

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here