Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football postponed if Full National Lockdown?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
With the likelihood of another full National Lockdown coming this week (per the current news reports), will that again see the football put on temporary hiatus as per March to May of this year, or will football be exempt and allowed to carry on?

On the radio this morning they mentined about a possible suspension of all football again for a month - how will that affect fixture congestion / the end of the season ?

I thought football had exemption status now along with Education, essential retail etc or is this wrong?

PS - I appreciate some may not see football as important in the current climate but on the radio this morning the discussion was about another possible postponement and it just got me thinking.

Anyone know anything more concrete?

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From a purely selfish point of view I would hate to be in lockdown without sport again. I imagine it might well be cancelled though, it would make sense wouldn’t it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1322319886304116737[/tweet]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
e7b53664aeaef44cf12a4e76f2391bbc.jpg

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'll be watching Bognor v Tooting & Mitcham today at Nyewood Lane along with about 599 other people.

I'm guessing it will be the last set of non-league fixtures for some time as non-league clubs can't afford to operate without fans.

National League clubs are now receiving a government subsidy so those three leagues could possibly continue on the assumption that training and playing matches is considered as employment.

Like many others I've been enjoying attending non-league matches below the National League, a lockdown will certainly leave a big social and mental well-being hole to fill.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Maybe the Premier League may continue, but what about the Championship, and Leagues 1 & 2, where they are not paying for regular testing - only when a player or players feel unwell?

I'd love to see the football continue but at these lower levels where there is minimal testing surely they would have to close like most other businesses on the high street. The Premier League may have the bubble of knowing their expensive squads are tested a couple of times a week, but what will happen to the divisions lower than us where this isn't happening?

Surely you can't have the case of a barbers or bar being told to close but a football club in the lower leagues being allowed to continue if the country does go into a 1 month national lockdown?

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Surely they will keep playing but just behind closed doors. I reckon they’ll shut down hospitality and non essential shops only. Those who can’t work from home will continue to work.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe the Premier League may continue, but what about the Championship, and Leagues 1 & 2, where they are not paying for regular testing - only when a player or players feel unwell?

I'd love to see the football continue but at these lower levels where there is minimal testing surely they would have to close like most other businesses on the high street. The Premier League may have the bubble of knowing their expensive squads are tested a couple of times a week, but what will happen to the divisions lower than us where this isn't happening?

Surely you can't have the case of a barbers or bar being told to close but a football club in the lower leagues being allowed to continue if the country does go into a 1 month national lockdown?

They are testing below EPL level - eg the Women's Championship are being tested weekly and playing BCD.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I suspect they will keep professional football going, they need to try and keep up the moral of the masses

On the other hand, I'm not sure that another second half like the one against West Brom would do much for morale in Sussex.

I think football will carry on unless there are COVID outbreaks at clubs.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
From a purely selfish point of view I would hate to be in lockdown without sport again. I imagine it might well be cancelled though, it would make sense wouldn’t it?

No music either. . . . I haven't been to or played a gig since December, the longest in my adult life.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I suspect they will keep professional football going, they need to try and keep up the moral of the masses

That Palace result and the red card has done wonders for my morale! If nothing else the government’s Covid policy should dictate that at the very least Palace, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby are required to fulfill their remaining fixtures for the well-being of the nation.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hopefully with a national lockdown PPV may become free for teh duration of the national lockdown (assuming the PL continues)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
There is a major issue with the lack of testing in the lower divisions. 50 and 60 odd year old managers confined in small changing rooms with 20 young, fit blokes and therefore likely asymptomatic carriers of the virus.

Without wanting to sound melodramatic, it’s hard to see that not having a tragic ending sooner or later.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Hopefully with a national lockdown PPV may become free for teh duration of the national lockdown (assuming the PL continues)

If we had Commie Corbyn in charge maybe, and all the players earned 3 potatos and a bottle of vodka a week.

The former didnt and never would have happenEd, the latter may well yet. :rolleyes:

PPV is here to stay. So is a softly flowing tiny river on the world wide tinterweb

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here