Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] albums that didn't get anywhere enough notice ....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I follow an 'indie' page on FB and have decided that two albums and bands that didn't get enough notice from me back in the day were Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain and The Wedding Present - George Best.

Rectifying this as we speak and enjoying Pavement so far.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I follow an 'indie' page on FB and have decided that two albums and bands that didn't get enough notice from me back in the day were Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain and The Wedding Present - George Best.

Rectifying this as we speak and enjoying Pavement so far.

2 of the finest albums of all time ... I would respectfully suggest that The Wedding Present have gone on to make better albums than the magnificent 'George Best' ...not least their rerecording of George Best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORptLVTQVyE&ab_channel=ATRAPAALMAS2

it's meatier ... perhaps it's just that I am old and can't hear the high notes anymore ... ohhh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVitZdqdi0I&ab_channel=ATRAPAALMAS2

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Some excellent tracks on 'Home' - Terry Hall's debut solo album from 1994.

Critically a success, commercially a flop.

Home_Terry_Hall_Front_Cover.jpg

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Hard to make a case for George Best and Crooked Rain being overlooked, what with them being the cause of endless reissues/tours/t-shirts (Pitchfork later gave Crooked Rain a 10). But tedious snark aside, they are great - as are those Five Thirty and Auteurs records.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
New Order’s raw 1981 album Movement, the band finding their way, went largely under the radar. Dreams Never End, Chosen Time and the beautiful Doubts Even Here are the highlights. It was a series of separate great singles and their next album that built their fame.

A year later, this was a decent album from another post punk band.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A classic forgotten album from a band who supported U2 on the 1987 Joshua Tree tour at Cardiff Arms Park.

The Silencers - A Letter From St Paul

00:00 Painted Moon
06:04 I Can't Cry
11:27 Bullets And Blue Eyes
16:36 God's Gift
21:27 I See Red
25:43 I Ought To Know
30:13 A Letter From St Paul
34:49 Blue Desire
38:59 Possessed

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think I saw Five Thirty the same week I saw Pale Saints .... that was a good week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udV...15s73RWdYdGgr_8Su&ab_channel=PaleSaints-Topic

edit ... bugger ... can't put up the whole album :(

...anyway ....they were head and shoulders above Ride/ Lush/ Chapterhouse etc. etc....

Ride are one of my nominations for this three, I think that Nowhere and Going Blank Again are absolute masterpieces. Brilliant live band too, both back in the day and when I saw them a couple of years ago.

I will revisit pale saints though based on your post. I must admit that they didn't do much for me back in the day (I may have been heard to describe them as pale immitations :)). So much going on back then though it didn't take much to fall for a band or to sadly write one off.

I will add them to my Wedding Present, Pavement list.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
And I don't care that nobody else agrees, I'll keep pushing it. This should be absolutely huge. I can accept that it wasn't of it's time, but can't understand why it now doesn't even seem to have cult status.

Sean O'Hagan wanting to be Brian Wilson, but somehow mostly pitching somewhere between Jimmy Webb and later Bakersfield Sound country, Cathal Coughlan's lyrics, full of angst and bite, but still standing up to endless re-listens due to his singular imagery and always slightly out of reach enigmatic meanings and the whole thing sounding a bit like Fagin and Becker had they been raised in 1980's Ireland.

Hardly anyone bought it at the time and the full album on Youtube has only a couple of thousand views! And quite a few of those are me when I can't be bothered to get the record out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPmtq2oxaU

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
Millenial answer here - the answer is one of two bands first albums which would have been much bigger than they were if they were released earlier in this century.

Royal Blood - Royal Blood
Catfish and the Bottlemen - The Balcony

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I will revisit pale saints though based on your post. I must admit that they didn't do much for me back in the day (I may have been heard to describe them as pale immitations :)). So much going on back then though it didn't take much to fall for a band or to sadly write one off.

I will add them to my Wedding Present, Pavement list.

While you're about it, you might want to revisit 'Deepest' by The Waltones, another late eighties album that didn't get the success it deserved. Their guitarist left to join the Charlatans and I think, that was that. I was never a big fan of The Charlatans, but loved the one Waltones album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX-q8uDzJzs

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Off the top of my head:

Mikill Pane - Blame Miss Barkley: Mikill Pane was one of the cleverest lyricists the UK has produced. Some of his wordplay was 'laugh out loud' funny. For example, in one song about having a burst bike tyre a mechanic tells him that fixing it will 'involve more labour than Milliband triplets'. His debut album is full of wonderful bits of storytelling, with a lot of the songs tying together in the same cinematic universe (one song features someone seeing an old couple preparing for a trip away, cute until you realise an earlier song sees that couple preparing a trip to Dignitas.A good rapper and excellent lyricist who fell through the gaps. Track to check out: You Don't Know Me.

Ocean Wisdom - Big Talk Vol 1: Ocean Wisdom (and thats his real name) grew up in Brighton, set a record for the fastest rap album ever and then when he was annoyed with his record label set up his own label and released this project. An incredible rap album, with a host of massive features (Akala, LD, Ghetts, Dizzee Rascal, Freddie Gibbs, Fatboy Slim). and it also contains the novelty of hearing Cardial Newman & Shoreham By Sea being named dropped in a rap album. Track to check out: Voices in my Head

CASisDead - The Number 23. The best British rap album ever. Cas will rap over any beat given to him. The Verve, Flash & The Pan, Screamin Jay Hawkins. Anything. And he merks it with his deadpan drug fueled delivery. Talking about mixing cocaine with Benadryl 'none of my cats had any complaints, none of them had hayfeaver either'! Just pure genius.Tracks to check out: .all of them. Play, Drugs Don't Work, Walking, City Slicker...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
While you're about it, you might want to revisit 'Deepest' by The Waltones, another late eighties album that didn't get the success it deserved. Their guitarist left to join the Charlatans and I think, that was that. I was never a big fan of The Charlatans, but loved the one Waltones album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX-q8uDzJzs

Love The Charlatans. Really enjoying Pale Saints too.

I will check this lot out.

Lots of new (old) music to listen to. Happy Days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here