Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Nobby Stiles

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Everybody will give Nobby the show of respect that he deserves.

Taking the knee is a separate issue, and will in no way detract from the commemoration of a great player.

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Not really I think it’s a hollow gesture, if they’d done it in 1993 when Stephen Lawrence was murdered I would have supported it whole heartedly, having unfortunately been at the sharp end of this pandemic and helped out with the kids in Worthing who don’t get a decent meal during each day of the school holidays, I think there’s more pressing matters in this country we need to address as a society.

I’m afraid old boy, we both share a love of the Albion, but on this matter we will have to agree to differ.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
According to my (late) dad, Nobby was used at Madam Tussades (sp?) to represent the England 66 World Cup Team.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Born in 1985, so obviously too young to remember the great man in his prime, but I grew up watching my old man’s black and white VCR recordings of the 1966 World Cup Final in my formative years when live football on the telly was scarce. I can only hear his name in the voice of Kenneth Wolstenholme. For some reason, of those who played that day it’s his name, after the obvious Geoff Hurst and Bobby Moore, that sticks in my mind the most.

That said, not everyone of my generation is as aware of his work, it seems. I mentioned it to the wife earlier. “Oh my God, that’s awful”, she said, “he was so young”.

“He was 78”, I replied, “not a bad innings”.

“78?”, she says. “What are you on about? He was only in One Direction a couple of years ago”.

FFS.

RIP Nobby.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not really I think it’s a hollow gesture, if they’d done it in 1993 when Stephen Lawrence was murdered I would have supported it whole heartedly, having unfortunately been at the sharp end of this pandemic and helped out with the kids in Worthing who don’t get a decent meal during each day of the school holidays, I think there’s more pressing matters in this country we need to address as a society.

I’m afraid old boy, we both share a love of the Albion, but on this matter we will have to agree to differ.

We can certainly agree that children are suffering, and that many are going hungry and need help. Kudos for you for doing your bit.

But it's not a competition. One important issue doesn't negate another.

Anyway, RIP Nobby, an absolute legend.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.I.P. Nobby. A sad day for football.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
RIP our Nobby. I'm so sad to hear of this. What a great character.

Nobby's jig, just fabulous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here