Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Starting a sentence with ' Look or Listen '

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
This was always something i associated with Australians but since the pandemic i have subconsciously started to do it quite frequently whilst answering someone.

I seems to have crept in over here now, unless i've not really noticed it before :shrug:

Look, when you use quotes, they enclose the entire phrase you are quoting. Listen I'm not being funny but grammar is grammar, ain't it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Glory days of a deeply defensive Micky Adams launching every interview answer, no matter how innocuous the question, with a "look..."

THE Withdean made me grind my teeth every time he said it :lolol:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My boss often starts conversations with "A quick question". It is usually anything but a quick question.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"To be honest" can give the impression that the person using it generally isn't.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"To be honest" can give the impression that the person using it generally isn't.

One of my friends always starts sentences with "I'm not gonna lie". That's a good character trait but I'm not sure you need to keep telling me.

I think most serious Australians start a sentence with "ahhh, look".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone start a sentence with 'Look or listen'. Definitely odd.

Fooled me at first too - I'd never heard anyone start a sentence with 'Look or listen' either, then I realised what the OP meant was look OR listen, not both together. Not so odd ................ might even be an improvement on 'So'!

Last edited:

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
This was always something i associated with Australians but since the pandemic i have subconsciously started to do it quite frequently whilst answering someone.

I seems to have crept in over here now, unless i've not really noticed it before :shrug:

Tony Bliar used to do it all of the time , probably still does ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here