Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Starting a sentence with ' Look or Listen '

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
This was always something i associated with Australians but since the pandemic i have subconsciously started to do it quite frequently whilst answering someone.

I seems to have crept in over here now, unless i've not really noticed it before :shrug:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone start a sentence with 'Look or listen'. Definitely odd.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Aussie default to start a sentence with "look" when being interviewed on telly or answering a question. Never heard it here.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
So, I think we should do nothing, because it'll never take over from the unbreakable habit so many people now have of starting every sentence with 'So'.

Look, somebody has to do something, but what i duno

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given the rising unemployment, there is a clear opportunity to get people back into work, while also providing retraining for many - Language Marshalls.

Anyone using Look or Listen at the start of a sentence, or the more serious offence of 'eh' in print, are placed on complusory OU Language courses, and can only stop going once they have a degree in English Language.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Basically, and with all due respect is more annoying to me

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This was always something i associated with Australians but since the pandemic i have subconsciously started to do it quite frequently whilst answering someone.

I seems to have crept in over here now, unless i've not really noticed it before :shrug:

I think it is very rude, personally.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Politicians, in particular Tony Blair, used to start sentences with "look" a lot when trying to get a point across to the thick populace. I found it incredibly annoying and condescending.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Who cares if someone starts a sentence with look, listen, so, or any other word? It's perfectly natural. Obama is often praised for his oratory skills and he loves an opening look. Speech bare of discourse markers sounds quite robotic, don't you think?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here