Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Did Led Zep or The Stones ever play in Brighton?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And Bill Wyman wore a Palace shirt. Not that we were rivals then, of course.

scan00033-662x446.jpg

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Saw Captain Beefheart at the Big Apple (was it always called that? ). Made so much noise the cinema manger came to complain. Apparently the ceiling was moving and dropping bits on the audience below.
Saw Strawbs, Status Quo and Kool and the Gang (supported by Sister Sledge) at the Dome. Blue Oyster Cult at Sussex University. All mid Seventies. Change at the Top Rank.. This was after someone called Luther Vandross (who used to be the lead singer) had left, so mid eighties. Happy Days.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stones, Beatles and The Who all played at the old Hove Town Hall in the early 60s.

Both big sisters were there, lucky cows. So jealous. They saw Joe Brown in Brighton also.

The Beatles only ever appeared at the Hippodrome in early 63.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I believe the Stones played the Big Apple (the old Regent ballroom).
The Who were pretty regular at the Florida Rooms (aquarium) as far back as when they were the High Numbers, but also played the Hippodrome and Brighton Centre.
The Who also played at Brighton Uni or Poly on Lewes Road early 70s.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
I was told that the Stones played there as well, anyone know where it was?

I dont remember the Stones at 'The Downs'. I have many memories as I went regularly. It was absolutely packed the night 'The Who' were there. As to its location it was on the keymer road almost opposite the ockley lane turning. I believe it is now a housing estate.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
The Who also played at Brighton Uni or Poly on Lewes Road early 70s.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I saw The Who at the Sussex University refectory. They were supported by The James Gang (Joe Walsh) & Roger Ruskin Spear and his giant kinetic wardrobe. My friend and I were standing at the back. We only ever saw Townshend's arm waving in the air periodically. I think they were promoting 'Live at Leeds'. I made up for that debacle when I saw them in 1971 at Worthing Assembly Hall. They were premiering 'The Who's next'. I was a matter of metres away from Townshend, but a friend and I sneaked in and watched Keith Moon practicing before the gg. We got chucked out, but so what! Kennedy moments!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anybody manage to catch one of the legendary (mythical?) Led Zep gigs at the Six Bells in Chiddingly? In the 70s their manager Peter Grant lived nearby, and apparently they used the Six Bells as a warm up (totally unpublicised and unannounced) gig for their next tour.

Not the only night(s) of glory for the Six Bells it seems .................
https://ninebattles.com/2020/08/17/keith-emerson-r-i-p/

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I knew they'd played there, but I'd never seen this photo until just now of Mick Jagger et al leaving Hastings pier. The Who, The Clash, Jimi Hendrix also played there back in the day, among lots of others.

View attachment 129915

I'm reading Keith Richard's (brilliant) book "Life". Got to page 146 yesterday and he talks about the Stones playing in Hastings caves in July 1963. Apparently is was a Debutante's Ball all "Upper Crusty", but roughing it in the caves with the (dirty, filthy) Stones .... needless to say it ended in a punch up! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here