Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Did Led Zep or The Stones ever play in Brighton?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Saw led zep at the crypt , Sussex University back in the early 1970’s.

Think it was A warm up for A tour they were doing.

Bloody loud!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Showaddywaddy at the Dome '74. Don't be jealous.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Was that the Famous Charisma Road show, showcasing their acts and with Audience third on the bill. If so, I was there and Lindisfarne were magical, turning The Dome in to a rollicking, dancing, sweaty party night.

I only went to see Lindisfarne and only realised I had seen Genesis when I looked at the pink? ticket many years later! Unfortunately I cannot fond the ticket now so don't know if anyone else was on. When I see the Genesis Live album with Gabriel with his strange hat I can imagine I saw that but who knows! I can remember dancing on the seats what a great night.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Now Mike Bambers cabaret club in Ringmer, didn’t host the Stones or Hendrix....but I remember cleo Laine ,performing there....

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Saw the Stones at the Big Apple, 10 March 1971. I was lucky enough to see all the Big Apple concerts for free because at the time I had an evening job working at the Regent, Academy and Odeon, and we could sneak in through the Regent rather than queue up the emergency exit staircase, which doubled as the main entrance.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Must of missed that one, surprised as I was a big fan of ride.
Remember seeing oasis at the Brighton centre East wing that year, only 200ish turned up. Same night Italy played rep Ireland in world cup. They turned up late to watch the game.

Supporting the Buzzcocks that night weren’t they? Buzzcocks weren’t happy apparently

I knew they'd played there, but I'd never seen this photo until just now of Mick Jagger et al leaving Hastings pier. The Who, The Clash, Jimi Hendrix also played there back in the day, among lots of others.

View attachment 129915

Went to the clash gig on the pier👍

Attachments

• IMG_20200825_184920.jpg
    IMG_20200825_184920.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 81

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Saw Otway there many times. Also saw Wild Willy Barrett there too, he was shit

That rings a bell . . . . They got back together at one point, which wasn't great. Otway was nuts, leaping off the PA stacks etc, how he didn't break badly I don't know

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Stones, Beatles and The Who all played at the old Hove Town Hall in the early 60s.

Both big sisters were there, lucky cows. So jealous. They saw Joe Brown in Brighton also.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Saw Oasis support Whiteout at The Forum, Tun Wells. And Coldplay play to about 50 people there, plus Muse performing to a similar number. Let’s not forget Adele late on a Sunday evening with nobody knowing who she was (“I can’t hear nuffink!”) and Suede in front of 120.
Slightly off topic I saw the legendary Bill Hicks at The Dome.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The Who played in Hassocks

So did Gene Vincent. Keymer, actually, as another poster pointed out. The Downs Hotel was an extraordinary venue. Hundreds of people, most smoking, locked into a sweaty basement. The aim on its Sunday night gigs was to get in for nothing. It was like Colditz Castle in reverse. I once broke in via a store room and found myself at the back of a stage.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Saw Oasis support Whiteout at The Forum, Tun Wells. And Coldplay play to about 50 people there, plus Muse performing to a similar number. Let’s not forget Adele late on a Sunday evening with nobody knowing who she was (“I can’t hear nuffink!”) and Suede in front of 120.
Slightly off topic I saw the legendary Bill Hicks at The Dome.

Adele played the Hope in Brighton before she was famous.

The White Stripes played the Concorde 2 around 2000 and finally The Vines played the Freebutt supported by The Libertines around 2001.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here