Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Did Led Zep or The Stones ever play in Brighton?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Led Zeppelin played the Dome in Dec 72 (I was lucky enough to be there, although the sound wasn't great that night if memory serves). One of my earliest gigs.

I think the Stones played the Hippodrome in 1964 but don't hold me to that.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
YES at the Big Apple. Genesis, Audience plus one other at the Dome for 5 shillings :lolol:
Tull at the Dome. Mott the Hoople at the Dome.....depends on one's definition of a big group I guess ?!?!
Soft Machine at the Dome, and Family,and...those were the days ;)

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I was always led to believe that neither the Stones or the Beatles had ever played in Worthing, so she may be able to explode that myth.

I went to see Danny Baker at the Pavilion in Feb 2017 and he said it was actually 50 years to the night that Hendrix had played the same venue.

I needed a quick distraction from work........Yes Hendrix did play Worthing in 1967 but it would appear The Stones and Beatles never did.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Saw Genesis supporting Lindisfarne at the Dome

Was that the Famous Charisma Road show, showcasing their acts and with Audience third on the bill. If so, I was there and Lindisfarne were magical, turning The Dome in to a rollicking, dancing, sweaty party night.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My cousin saw Pink Floyd, Hendrix and The Who on the same bill at the Dome, or so he used to claim.

That is fact, I know a few people who went to the gig, one my mums friend saw the afternoon matinee show, the other went to the evening show . . .you could have seen all three twice in a day!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
That's how it should be, not remembering for sure probably means you were there :lolol:

Well, unless it was their gig a year or two before? They started with Atom Heart Mother and Gilmore stormed off stage after 20 minutes because of incessant humming on the PA :lolol:;
After it was fixed, it was a great concert...as far as I remember 🤔

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I believe the winner of the most iconic concert in Brighton is Pink Floyd playing the debut of Dark Side Of The Moon at the Dome in June 1972?

Sorry can't help with biggest band who didn't though and I really doubt there are any big British acts who didn't ( sorry I don't join in the love for the Sex Pistols :smile:)

If I remember rightly, the first performance of Dark Side at The Dome was a few months earlier when their whizz bang electronics failed and I endured a first half of crackling noises and equipment failures including some gadget designed to send sound around the audience.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That is fact, I know a few people who went to the gig, one my mums friend saw the afternoon matinee show, the other went to the evening show . . .you could have seen all three twice in a day!

As I said earlier, they didn't play with The Who. It was The Move that were on that Hendrix tour (and Amen Corner and The Nice)

There's a full list of gigs here - quite a few in Brighton, including Miss Teenage Brighton!

(the most bizarre non-Brighton gig must be the Gwent Constabulary Summer Ball)

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I knew they'd played there, but I'd never seen this photo until just now of Mick Jagger et al leaving Hastings pier. The Who, The Clash, Jimi Hendrix also played there back in the day, among lots of others.

6857_1677245592532228_2900692350350649938_n-1.jpg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My other sister saw Slade, when they were Ambrose Slade at Henfield village hall but, can only remember how ( comparerativly) dear it was to get in.

It was something like 50p.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think my folks met trying to see the Stones in Brighton but I don't think the gig happened.

Oasis played at least twice, once in Christmas 95 and one again in the 00s when they were well past their best
I only got tickets for the second.

My father-in-law saw Tyrannous Rex play with someone called David Jones(Bowie) doing mime as the support act. I think he said this was in Brighton

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
My step dad saw The Stones at the Hippodrome in the 60's and here's a flyer from the Oasis gig in the 90's. The La's briefly reformed and this was their last gig.62b5f0bfe8aae9cd059671fc889861b7.jpeg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My other sister saw Slade, when they were Ambrose Slade at Henfield village hall but, can only remember how ( comparerativly) dear it was to get in.

It was something like 50p.

Remarkably, I saw Chris Farlowe at Henfield Village Hall a couple of years ago. He's lost his health and his figure, but what a voice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here