Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Did Led Zep or The Stones ever play in Brighton?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
With the earth shattering news that the Pistols never played Brighton, it did get me thinking whose the best British act not to play in Brighton?
I know the Beatles played the Hippodrome, they arrived by plane at Shoreham Airport, but what of the likes of Led Zep or The Rolling Stones?
I can remember Blur playing Brighton but did Oasis? I had a young family back then so didn’t really do gigs.

Probably a thread for the over 35s 😂

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My cousin saw Pink Floyd, Hendrix and The Who on the same bill at the Dome, or so he used to claim.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I believe the Stones played the Big Apple (the old Regent ballroom).
The Who were pretty regular at the Florida Rooms (aquarium) as far back as when they were the High Numbers, but also played the Hippodrome and Brighton Centre.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I’m pretty sure my older sister saw the Stones at the Assembly hall in Worthing

I was always led to believe that neither the Stones or the Beatles had ever played in Worthing, so she may be able to explode that myth.

I went to see Danny Baker at the Pavilion in Feb 2017 and he said it was actually 50 years to the night that Hendrix had played the same venue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My cousin saw Pink Floyd, Hendrix and The Who on the same bill at the Dome, or so he used to claim.

Don't think he's right about The Who but there was a tour of Hendrix, Pink Floyd and The Move in 67/68

Pink Floyd played Lewes Town Hall in Feb 68 - one of Syd's last gigs. I can't quite get my head around the Floyd at Lewes

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With the earth shattering news that the Pistols never played Brighton, it did get me thinking whose the best British act not to play in Brighton?
I know the Beatles played the Hippodrome, they arrived by plane at Shoreham Airport, but what of the likes of Led Zep or The Rolling Stones?
I can remember Blur playing Brighton but did Oasis? I had a young family back then so didn’t really do gigs.

Probably a thread for the over 35s 😂

And good news that after years of neglect the Hippodrome is being renovated. Not sure how long this is going To take as there is falling masonry and asbestos to deal with.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I think the Rolling Stones played Hove Town Hall back in the day.

They certainly did - early 1963 if my memory services me correctly, the original Hove Town Hall of course. I was there as was the future Mrs BS, although we hadn't yet met. I was working as a police cadet, stationed in Hove at the time, those old enough will remember Hove Police Stn. was part of Hove Town Hall. Tickets for the show were sold by the tobacconist (that lovely old fashioned one) in Church Rd just along from the chemist on the corner. Price of them - 5 shillings seems to ring a bell and audience, about 250 I guess. At the time the Stones had just entered the charts with 'Come On'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I believe the winner of the most iconic concert in Brighton is Pink Floyd playing the debut of Dark Side Of The Moon at the Dome in June 1972?

Sorry can't help with biggest band who didn't though and I really doubt there are any big British acts who didn't ( sorry I don't join in the love for the Sex Pistols :smile:)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I believe the winner of the most iconic concert in Brighton is Pink Floyd playing the debut of Dark Side Of The Moon at the Dome in June 1972?

Sorry can't help with biggest band who didn't though and I really doubt there are any big British acts who didn't ( sorry I don't join in the love for the Sex Pistols :smile:)

I think I was there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here