Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "There are a few who expect us to win because we are Brighton"

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Just watched it.
Honestly I prefer him with a bit of fire in the belly, without the usual restraint he shows in press conferences.
I hope he uses some of that fire in the dressing room.

He's shown us a glimpse of what we can be as a football team since he's come in - raised our expectations.
I'm still on the Potter train.

I hope he doubles down on his footballing philosophy of possession and attacking (final third has been better this year).
Defending a 1:0 lead vs WBA...just seemed like the players didn't know what that was all about...
Let's get back to that team mentality we had against Chelsea, Man U and Newcastle.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I really hope Potter doesn't get in the habit of criticising fans. Nothing wrong with daring to dream.

Naylor likes to put in the occasional boot as well so no doubt delighted in repeating this.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Not the first time Potter has made reference the fans in this way. I don’t think any Brighton fan expects us to win because we are Brighton, quite the reverse. They do and should expect a little better than 4 home wins in a year! It’s an absurd comment from a man out of his depth!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Hmmm... I'm not impressed by this quote at all.

I don't expect Potter to win every match, but I'm expecting more wins than Hughton would have delivered. And I'm sure Tony Bloom is too.

All very well having a fine-looking girlfriend (plays nice football), but it's frustrating if she nevers puts out (wins matches) and... I have no idea where I'm going with this analogy.

And... After initially getting loads of praise from your mates (the media) for bagging said fine-looking girlfriend (playing nice football), they lose interest and respect when they soon realise that she has little personality (bite in the final third) and is rather wet behind the ears (prone to conceding soft goals)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we can all agree that GP does himself no favours criticising the fans when they are not even at the stadium :shrug:

I am a big GP fan but I think he’s starting to wobble coming out with shit like this, let’s hope we give a good account of ourselves at Spurs, and no I don’t expect us to win. He has made us look like we belong, don’t spoil it by having a go at us when the team let him down. Have a go at them instead :thumbsup:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Quoting Andy Naylors Tweet there regarding exasperation in Potter's voice that most fans understand we are a team in development, but some expect us to win because we are Brighton. Is that reverse psychology or a distraction technique? I must say if I ever met a Brighton fan who expected us to win because we are Brighton...I might suggest they book an appointment with their GP (phone consulation only in current circumstances).

There are a few looneys far to the right (or the left) on the distribution curve who may think this and be vocal about it but the are a tiny proportion of our fan base. Potter is losing the plot if he wants to talk to fans about this as an issue, we have bigger issues to address

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"We should be losing to teams like Brighton."

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Makes a good change for Potter to have some fire at pre game interview but having just listened what on earth was he going on about. I dont know one supporter who arrives at any game including WBA expecting us to win. However once into game I can honestly say WBA looked the worst PL side I have seen. Much can happen in a game so at half time still not expecting but optimistic about a win. What I was not expecting was to then get outplayed and hang on for a draw. Unusually I thought this was down to us been so poor. not as Potter said WBA playing well. His comment about Lalana again odd. How good it was to have a midfielder close to Maupay and have his best game in what was our most important game this season. Apart from first game when got injured I think this was the earliest he has been taken off. I think supporters are entitled to be surprised with this. Maybe I dont understand fitness but if honest cant understand how a 33 year old footballer after playing 5 games and trained for a month cant last 90mins

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well, quite :lol:

That out of the way, perhaps what GP is getting at is fans showing frustration at the lack of wins / results when playing well and / or in front. I think that's absolutely valid (from the fans). We are dropping far too many points from good performances or leading positions and conceding goals at the wrong time in games. Can't see the harm in pointing that out :shrug:

But, yeah, when I roll out of bed on match day in my stripey pyjamas my default thought is "can't see us getting much today...."

With zero attendances, it’s interesting that GP knows that. Must be a NSC visitor or a member :lolol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Do we want to stay up or not.

If we do, then we need to improve significantly and quickly to get some points on board.

If not, then the current performances are completely acceptable.

A bad start to a season often heralds a bad end.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Do we want to stay up or not.

If we do, then we need to improve significantly and quickly to get some points on board.

If not, then the current performances are completely acceptable.

A bad start to a season often heralds a bad end.

Are the performances that bad though? Results have been poor but realistically what should we have expected from

Chelsea, Manchester United and West Brom at home, Everton, Palace and Newcastle Away?

Apart from the last 30 minutes on Monday we’ve played pretty well IMO. Made too many mistakes overall and punished for them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Potter always sounds like a defeatist and a loser.

I can’t say I have heard this. And besides, what do you want him to say? Managers have to keep within the realms of reality otherwise their words are ignored. Would you prefer it if he came out with the utter crap players like Rooney spoke before a World Cup? Keep it real, otherwise it’s ignored.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Tbf, i have noticed our fanbase has become extremely snobbish towards others.

Our fanbase, or a few (likely very young) loudmouths on here, just like you find on any fans message board? I certainly don't know anyone who's snobbish towards other clubs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Are the performances that bad though? Results have been poor but realistically what should we have expected from

Chelsea, Manchester United and West Brom at home, Everton, Palace and Newcastle Away?

Apart from the last 30 minutes on Monday we’ve played pretty well IMO. Made too many mistakes overall and punished for them.

Well yes you have a point but only one of those clubs is currently in the top 6, Everton. Performances have been entertaining but rather riddled with error. We get high marks for artistic merit but rather lower ones for effectiveness. Early days though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here