Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "There are a few who expect us to win because we are Brighton"

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
the Predictor thread is a good guide it was about 90% expecting us to win the last game

Its pretty fun. In threads like this everyone is basically saying "no I'm completely innocent with very limited expectations and never demand anything, its just that the club/team lets me down beyond reasonable expectations", while at the same time demanding results vs Manchester United, signing fancy new strikers and whatnot.

Of course people are allowed to demand whatever they like to demand but the whole "what is he talking about, we never expect anything" narrative is just bollocks.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
"There are a few who expect us to win because we are Brighton"

Big Potter fan here and 100% behind him but not sure I understand what he’s getting at there?!

As posted above, in all my years supporting the Albion I’d say as a fan set we generally expect the opposite?! In fact I’d say we have a tendency to accept mediocrity and that’s why so many were happy with where we were in Hughton’s last season and didn’t want him replaced when it was really obvious he’d taken us as far he could.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Getting a bit over Potter. Wheeling out the "we're a team in transition" line and blaming fans who aren't at the stadium over an imaginary insight into their expectations.
Teams are always in transition to some extent and there was only four first team additions in the last window.
What's wrong with expecting to beat a newly promoted team who haven't won all season? I don't think many fans expected to take points from Man Utd/Chelsea/Everton and I'm sure very few are expecting to get anything from the Spurs game.
What he should have said....
"I'm unable to instil a sense of confidence into my players, my team selection was poor and my substitutions were ill judged".

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I had serious doubts about Potter pre lockdown and to be honest believe that break saved us from relegation. A pretty decent season end gave me some hope he'd worked something out but it all looks like it's heading back to the same place again. We just seem unable to see a lead through to full time (same as last season) and the habits of conceding from so many set pieces or letting goals in just after scoring reek of poor confidence in certain situations to me. The subs on Monday night really did set alarms ringing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think the pressure is getting to GP and the team personally

It wouldn’t do him any harm to admit he made mistakes vs WBA, because he did.

The only other thing that we’ll never change is the apparent lack of passion. We’re all different and perhaps he’s on fire inside, but he HAS to sometimes get in the ear of referees. At the moment it seems only Dunk and Lallana do this, but you have to do it on the pitch.

Poyet was good at it...... but most other managers do it, we just don’t seem to bother.

Still a point/win at Spurs and he’ll be a world-beater again [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As posted above, in all my years supporting the Albion I’d say as a fan set we generally expect the opposite?! In fact I’d say we have a tendency to accept mediocrity and that’s why so many were happy with where we were in Hughton’s last season and didn’t want him replaced when it was really obvious he’d taken us as far he could.

Agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I had serious doubts about Potter pre lockdown and to be honest believe that break saved us from relegation. A pretty decent season end gave me some hope he'd worked something out but it all looks like it's heading back to the same place again. We just seem unable to see a lead through to full time (same as last season) and the habits of conceding from so many set pieces or letting goals in just after scoring reek of poor confidence in certain situations to me. The subs on Monday night really did set alarms ringing.

I feel similarly in an attacking/offensive context.
Short-corners, short free-kicks and crossing opportunities in particular. It seems as if some players are waiting for the absolutely perfect opportunity rather than putting it in the box and creating an opportunity.

We didn't used to be so much this way, and I really wonder why as of the past year, we seem to be quite nervous about getting the ball in the box.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I think he's going to have to be careful. I'm very much team Potter but this sort of quote has a habit of coming back and biting you on the bum. I think given where we are as a club Brighton fans (and worryingly for Potter that includes Tony Bloom) are entitled to think we "should" beat a newly promoted team although no one would think it's a given. If there has been any dissent (and of course there has been loads of utter nonsense written on here by the usual suspects) it's mostly due to the utter capitulation that was the second half and the very odd substitutions, not the result itself. If I were Potter, I'd be looking over my shoulder a lot more after a quote like that. All that being said, I still think we are progressing relatively well.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Hmmm... I'm not impressed by this quote at all.

I don't expect Potter to win every match, but I'm expecting more wins than Hughton would have delivered. And I'm sure Tony Bloom is too.

All very well having a fine-looking girlfriend (plays nice football), but it's frustrating if she nevers puts out (wins matches) and... I have no idea where I'm going with this analogy.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just had a listen. He sounded a bit chippy. Perhaps he is feeling the pressure. Where is he coming across any Albion who expect to win because we are Brighton. I hope you're not coming on here Graham.

I don't think I have ever met an Albion fan who thinks like that.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Dreadful quote. I want him out after hearing that. No divine right to beat anyone or stay up but all these home games we’ve been poor in is too much to bear. We’re so soft and if that’s the managers take no surprise. Overreacting maybe but he’s not doing well enough at all and the club have supported him.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We've only won 9 matches per season in the last 3 seasons to date. To say he thinks we expect to win is pretty wide of the mark in my view.

Broadly speaking 1 win per month is roughly what I expect (from our past record) and that has not changed so far this season. If we can beat Burnley next week that will be 2 wins in 2 months which is fine. Not expecting miracles.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Rubbish, most on here were just very disappointed in how we were bullied after the goal and stopped playing/started hiding

As a Brighton you do not EXPECT to win, just be competitive, which we weren’t after the goal. Potter is doing a great job imo, it’s just not clicking yet

Exactly this. GP has to realise that most fans expect more than we got in the second half on Monday against a team we're hoping finish below us. And perhaps not to be leaking goals so frequently and cheaply costing us precious points - we have walked a fine line since joining the prem, we're not going to keep being so lucky. Fans being frustrated is nothing to do with 'expecting' us to win because we're Brighton; as others have said, I've never heard anyone say that, and if anyone did I'd question their sanity

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Quoting Andy Naylors Tweet there regarding exasperation in Potter's voice that most fans understand we are a team in development, but some expect us to win because we are Brighton. Is that reverse psychology or a distraction technique? I must say if I ever met a Brighton fan who expected us to win because we are Brighton...I might suggest they book an appointment with their GP (phone consulation only in current circumstances).

Sounds like complete Potterbollocks to me :shrug:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Everyone’s frustrated he will be as well but starting to call out sections of fans is not a good look. As a manager I would not be reading any fan message boards or twitter for a sense of fan happiness as they both tend to showcase the extreme ends of opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here