Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] World Meteorological Organisation WMO report of La Niña event

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
La Niña has developed and is expected to last into next year, affecting temperatures, precipitation and storm patterns in many parts of the world, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).

La Niña in the Pacific Ocean are likley to affect Aisia Austraila and West cost of the Americas the most but has a history of causing colder than usual winters in Europe.

This year’s La Niña is expected to be moderate to strong. The last time there was a strong event was in 2010-2011, followed by a moderate event in 2011-2012.

Batten down the hatches as the chances of a long cold winter have just increased a bit.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
La Niña has developed and is expected to last into next year, affecting temperatures, precipitation and storm patterns in many parts of the world, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).

La Niña in the Pacific Ocean are likley to affect Aisia Austraila and West cost of the Americas the most but has a history of causing colder than usual winters in Europe.

This year’s La Niña is expected to be moderate to strong. The last time there was a strong event was in 2010-2011, followed by a moderate event in 2011-2012.

Batten down the hatches as the chances of a long cold winter have just increased a bit.

Maybe a chance for the Express to finally get their catastrophic forecasts right.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
pretty sure it doesnt affect northern Europe, being a change in weather in southern Pacific.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I had no idea this existed. After a bit of research it is the opposite to El Nino (so sea temps go a bit cold rather than hot) but still causes lots of strange weather around the Pacific.

Couldn't see anything about its effect on Europe though

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I had no idea this existed. After a bit of research it is the opposite to El Nino (so sea temps go a bit cold rather than hot) but still causes lots of strange weather around the Pacific.

Couldn't see anything about its effect on Europe though

La Nina, the partner in crime of El Nino, is where the opposite happens and the sea has a marked cooling. La Nina does not follow every El Nino event, as they are much less frequent. La Nina’s effects are often as extreme as that of El Nino. The media usually blames ENSO or El Nino Southern Oscillation (El Nino for short) for every severe weather event that occurs from Scotland to South Africa and China to America. El Nino’s affects are widespread, and although it is felt by most by countries surrounding the Pacific Ocean, Europe can be affected by it, but it true to say that Northern Europe is at its furthest (and weakest) reach.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Really?!!

Did someone build a big windproof wall?

sort of. the hemisphere's weather systems are buffered at the equator, theres also an awful lot of land either end of the Pacific which breaks up wind.

i did a quick google, something said its might bring colder, another wetter winter weather. cold and/or wet in winter in the UK? :hilton:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The head gardener at Arundel on Breakfast Time the other day, was asked why so many berry trees are laden with fruit. He reckoned it's a clear sign of a harsh winter! Nature's after us.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

Seems standard for 2020:shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The head gardener at Arundel on Breakfast Time the other day, was asked why so many berry trees are laden with fruit. He reckoned it's a clear sign of a harsh winter! Nature's after us.

I was about to say Old wive's tale as it's the result of a long settled warm summer. However, I have read that those same meteorological conditions that cause a long settled warm summer, if continued, can create cold winters, so :shrug:

I guess it's one for [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It doesn’t specifically mean cold weather in NW Europe and in fact there is no clear link to any direct impact here but previous La Niña years have seen a predilection for cooler and wetter than average winters - hence the obvious connection in recent memories.

I’m more interested in record NH snow cover - due primarily to an ice free Arctic Ocean - and the MJO phases linked with a strongly -‘ve Indian Ocean Dipole [IOD].

Perhaps one for [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]s snow thread instead...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Quite a bit of chatter about this on the weather 'boards'. From what I can see there isn't a correlation between a Strong La Nina event and cold winters in the UK.

Stolen from Netweather, so I can't verify it currently:

Only 2 cold months in strong Niña years since 1950: Feb 1956 at -0.2 CET and Dec 2010 at -0.7 CET

Obviously Dec 2010 stands out and was a severe month, and the first real winter month for many a year.

That said, the longer range ECM data today does suggest a signal for blocking over Scandinavia into December, so you never know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here