Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Incident in Nice, France

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
You’re tilting at windmills mate.

I don’t really disagree with you that much and I certainly accept that Christianity has historically been responsible for a huge number of atrocities.

I have no knowledge of the gay killing you refer to, and that’s why I didn’t comment on it at all, so I don’t know why you make the jibe about what the victim’s relatives would think of me. You may well be right that there was such an event driven by Christian teaching - I’d never heard of it though.

I was explicitly referring to your other examples of lynchings and similar against black folk in the US which, as I understand it, were driven mainly by a KKK-type, white supremacist ideology rather than a specifically Christian one. Again if you have convincing evidence to the contrary, then I’d be happy to concede on that too.

Either way, I get the impression that, currently at least, while all religions retain their propensity to stimulate their followers to commit unjustifiable atrocities, militant Islam seems to be particularly scary on that front. Just my view, though, and if someone can produce the evidence that actually Islam is nothing compared to contemporary Christianity, Judaism, Taoism, Hinduism or whatever when it comes to terrorism and violence, I’ll revise that view. Until then I’ll retain my “Islamophobia”.

Islam is in a similar place to where Catholicism was some 300 years ago with the inquisition. A time when Islam was the civilised religion ........

All as bad as each other ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I am surprised they didn't just take shoot this person on the spot rather than treat his injuries. That's what his warped religious views would have wanted? A waste of oxygen to put him in a cell and trial.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I am surprised they didn't just take shoot this person on the spot rather than treat his injuries. That's what his warped religious views would have wanted? A waste of oxygen to put him in a cell and trial.

In terms of intelligence gathering he’s far more valuable alive than dead.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I can't really see why the French or any other nation thinks it's OK to take the piss out of a religion. It is obviously extremely meaningful to some so why stir up hatred? Mind you thought Life of Brian was brilliant :D

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
In terms of intelligence gathering he’s far more valuable alive than dead.

He is most probably a 1 person internet influenced fanatic. Unlike a lot of people on here I am not against religion, the message that the 3 main religions preach to most people are something that most people would prescribe too as a good way of living.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Islam is in a similar place to where Catholicism was some 300 years ago with the inquisition. A time when Islam was the civilised religion ........

All as bad as each other ....

Around about 300 years ago the Ottoman Empire was threatening Central Europe by land and its armies had reached Vienna, and the Mediterranean by its navy threatening Venice.

At this time the muslim ottomans were in the ascendency and were far from civilised..........feel free to correct me if you disagree.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I can't really see why the French or any other nation thinks it's OK to take the piss out of a religion. It is obviously extremely meaningful to some so why stir up hatred? Mind you thought Life of Brian was brilliant :D

The French Revolution seared anti clericalism in the French psyche, and as a nation they have been proudly secular for 200 years.

You can’t square a nation that has a tradition in anti clericalism with respect for religion in all of its flavours, especially a religion that is more muscular in its own traditions, and has adherents willing to murder those who insult it.

Macron is in a bind, he has stayed loyal to the French traditions of secularism, sadly more people are going to die.

I’m sure a French dance troupe on their equivalent of BGT will be able to make sense of it.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Around about 300 years ago the Ottoman Empire was threatening Central Europe by land and its armies had reached Vienna, and the Mediterranean by its navy threatening Venice.

At this time the muslim ottomans were in the ascendency and were far from civilised..........feel free to correct me if you disagree.

Invasion was name of the game for the last 2000 years. The fact that they were Islamic was incidental.

I was out by 700 years because ..... I was an idiot and didn’t check.

My point is that these things go in cycles of enlightenment to terror and back again.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, as an atheist, throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's Christian kidnapping, murder and terrorist bombing campaigns in Britain I didn't ever worry that the Christians were after me, and now over the last couple of decades, I'm not worried that the Muslims are after either.

They were/are both worrying times but surely you would have to be extremely naïve to believe that either of them were about who's God is best :shrug:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Invasion was name of the game for the last 2000 years. The fact that they were Islamic was incidental.

My point is that these things go in cycles of enlightenment to terror and back again.

The Christian, Jewish religions have moved on from the medieval era. Part of Islam has not in my opinion.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The Christian, Jewish religions have moved on from the medieval era. Part of Islam has not in my opinion.

Certainly the Protestant and Catholic flavours of the same religion in Britain have come on in leaps and bounds in the last 20 years. They are not kidnapping, murdering and bombing one another (and any innocents caught up in it) any more. Maybe give it another 20 years :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh, I'm sorry, do you need me to provide a different source to back up my statement that the Crusades happened...?
Key word in that statement is 'happened' - past tense. It isn't happening any more.

I'll give you a list: The Crusades; the slave trade; the feudal system; burning heretics at the stake; women being legally the property of their husbands; the press gang; the death penalty (and flogging); imprisoning homosexual men. Get the link? I'll give you a clue..........

They're all things that civilised society has stopped doing. So countering the wicked and evil beheading of a poor innocent women in France in 2020 by mentioning the crusades as if that's some sort of equaliser is just bollocks.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'd say there's plenty of evidence to suggest none of these religions have really "moved on". Plenty of violence by Christians, plenty of violence by Jews and equally plenty of violence by Muslims.Religion really does fvck up the world.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Key word in that statement is 'happened' - past tense. It isn't happening any more.

I'll give you a list: The Crusades; the slave trade; the feudal system; burning heretics at the stake; women being legally the property of their husbands; the press gang; the death penalty (and flogging); imprisoning homosexual men. Get the link? I'll give you a clue..........

They're all things that civilised society has stopped doing. So countering the wicked and evil beheading of a poor innocent women in France in 2020 by mentioning the crusades as if that's some sort of equaliser is just bollocks.

Indeed governments in civilised countries no longer accept the things mentioned. .......However sadly, in probably every civilised country in the world there are fanatics and fanatical groups. Be they left wing, right wing, Muslim, Catholic, Black or white, all have some crazy fanatical people. It does seem the Muslim fraternity have more than their fair share of willing Martyrs though. Macron is right to stand up to these people. The French also need to root out and bring to justice the people traffickers who sent the Family that died over in a small Boat on a stormy day !!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Certainly the Protestant and Catholic flavours of the same religion in Britain have come on in leaps and bounds in the last 20 years. They are not kidnapping, murdering and bombing one another (and any innocents caught up in it) any more. Maybe give it another 20 years :wink:

Well actually the conflict you described was more about a foreign power ruling over another nation. Americans and Ghandi in India would probably look at it it slightly differently. But, yes I am not sure why if you are not a catholic you should be pro British.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

You make an interesting point about invasions being the name of the game for the last 2000 years, and I think that’s right.

The consequences of invasions are usually far from civilised, as we know from the events in the last 100 years with WW2, Vietnam, Afghanistan etc.

It seems these days the consequences of some invasions and “the name of the game” for the last 2000 years are more important than others. On that basis we can either move on from taking the knee before football matches or remember that for plenty of people the last 2000 years have been shitty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here