Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] A Digital Christmas?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
During the last few days and discussing the family Christmas plans for this year (in the midst of all this Covid crap going on) we have sadly decided to cancel our planned family get together in the West Country. The kids have decided to stay at their respective Universities to save on unnecessary travel which leaves me and wife to have our first Christmas just as a couple.

Will be a bit strange to be our our own and not have a family Christmas for the first time, without the usual round of local parties, work get togethers, or kids being present.

Zoom calls and Netflix it will be for us. (At least the wife is a good cook, so we won't go hungry)!

Has anybody else seen their plans change, or are many planning to do what Victoria Derbyshire said and just break the Covid rules this festive season?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
GlitteringGenuineDuiker-small.gif

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think there will be some relaxation around Xmas as they know if not many, many people will just break the rules. I heard one of the localP C's on the radio yesterday saying his police force will go on and break up people's Christmas lunches if necessary if rules have been broken. I think there will be an encouragement to do any activities outdoors if possible, provide cleaning stations around dining tables and masks mandatory in all private homes where households are mixing.

Stumpy Tim

Not changed at all. Was going to be the 4 of us. Will still be the 4 of us. Getting sick of media spouting off about everything being different or cancelled and upsetting our kids when they hear it

100% agree. Christmas isn´t cancelled. There will still be presents, Santa will be exempt from the rules, and frankly this year is likely to be more relaxing as families won´t have their traditional Xmas arguments

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Five of us from work are having a Xmas lunch on our final day somewhere local, instead of the usual trawl around Brighton all afternoon.
After that it'll be home for the holidays - and just me, the missus, and the two boys. Quite looking forward to spending 10 days or so relaxing at home for once, instead of dashing across the country here, there, and everywhere visiting relatives.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With reports that Brighton and Hove will be moving into Tier 2 shortly, it looks more than likely that there will be no (legal) household mixing indoors.

It could be that if you hold your nerve that large turkeys and joints of meat will be slashed in price and everyone just buys for their own household and looks to buy far smaller items, rather than facing having Turkey on each on the 12 days of Christams.

We were supposed to be going to our son's for Christmas, but he lives in London so that (currently) is off limits, so it looks like a tin of spam at home for the big day.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Between the Mrs & myself we have a large extended family so the week between Christmas and New Year is usually spent visiting them for various parties and get-togethers. None of that is happening this year which will be odd. My folks are in the very vulnerable category (got the letters warning them) so will probably spend Christmas Day alone but would usually host 10+ people for Christmas Day. We'll pop round to wish them Merry Christmas from the end of the front path.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Was looking forward to the nice Hotel we'd booked, but with the idea of wearing masks all round the place and for the wife with the Spa and indoor pools being closed we just thought better of it.

Might try and plan something a bit more special for Christmas 2021 if Covid has reduced by then or a successful vaccine appears. With the money we've saved this year might even push the boat out for a Christmas in the Swiss Alps next year.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
6 of us in the house, although 1 or 3 may go elsewhere on Xmas day, so no extras even if allowed to mix...
I'm going to miss work party, I presume, first one in this new job, so no idea what they normally do.
Xmas eve I like a beer but not fussed about new years eve.
I've had 26 round for new years day dinner before, I like a busy house and also don't mind the quiet. I've also been away sunny and skiing holidays many times for Xmas. I would love a ski holiday but not this year.

I do love Xmas but what will be, will be.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Five of us instead of the usual eight or nine for Christmas Day. Will especially miss our little two year old grandson.
Have to admit that neither my wife nor I can garner much enthusiasm for Christmas this year. We've cancelled our usual pre Christmas hotel break because we didn't fancy social distancing and masks prevailing everywhere, when we are are meant to be relaxing and letting ourselves go. Would rather save the dosh to spend when life gets back to normal, whenever that may be.
Everything is shit at the moment, but we just have to get on with it.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Five of us instead of the usual eight or nine for Christmas Day. Will especially miss our little two year old grandson.
Have to admit that neither my wife nor I can garner much enthusiasm for Christmas this year. We've cancelled our usual pre Christmas hotel break because we didn't fancy social distancing and masks prevailing everywhere, when we are are meant to be relaxing and letting ourselves go. Would rather save the dosh to spend when life gets back to normal, whenever that may be.
Everything is shit at the moment, but we just have to get on with it.

Exactly our thoughts.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
No change for us at least.
What I will say is that video calls with family are terrible until someone fixes the lag issue. The dynamic is ten times better if you just pick up the phone and call

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
people generally staying at home over christmas would be one of the best things for containing spread. ironic that some suggest a "circuit breaker" now to save christmas, when we'll still be semi-restricted then either way.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
No change for us at least.
What I will say is that video calls with family are terrible until someone fixes the lag issue. The dynamic is ten times better if you just pick up the phone and call
Maybe it is your broadband, what Mb do you have? I use zoom, teams, Skype for work no problem. Video call to my mum in Spain, no problem. Which reminds me, I've not called in a while.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here