Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] What was your mother’s or father’s weapon of choice

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
My mother would threaten to "bang our heads together" . She never did, but we'd seen it happen with a neighbours kids ( who were little shits, but hey child abuse is child abuse) so it scared the crap out of us.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
What a thoroughly depressing thread. Quite why it's tagged as 'Humour' is beyond me.

No adult should ever hit or mentally abuse a child. Ever.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There's some very sobering stories on this thread - shared I'm sure with no intent to set anyone off or affect anyone else negatively and any thumbs i've given up, like others is purely out of empathy.

I just want to say thank you for sharing to anyone that has. My childhood wasn't the worst and whilst I was definitely put in my place if I ever did or said something out of turn, I count myself very lucky that I didn't have to endure some of the things that have been posted - either at home or during my schooling.

This thread doesn't make the easiest of reading, but it has given me a new perspective on things.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Usually a vegetable of some variety as my dad was a market stall holder in the east end of london , at 8 I was conscripted into the world of commerce freezing cold at 4 am getting the stock loaded then off to the market for 10 hours where if I started to nod off a ballistic turnip would sail towards me , let me tell you a well aimed spud can hurt , I'm over it now as you can tell .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Mothers weapon of choice, wooden spoon round the legs, or a slap if we were out of the house.
Father, a clump around the ear, not a punch but a flat hand.

Can’t say I really played up much when I was a child, but I would sometimes be lippy and say what I was thinking, they definitely didn’t like backchat.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Mother's open hand or a 'sally stick' which she kept behind a mirror over the mantle piece and used as a whip. My father never laid a hand on me.

School was a major upgrade - you don't know the meaning of the words 'corporal punishment' until you attend a Christian Brothers school - they were sadistic ********.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Went to Eastbourne Grammar school and received the following - cane, slipper (plimsole), blackboard duster (thrown by Mr Ladbrook), golf club on the head (Bodge Malin), metalwork teacher used a metal rule across the palms of the hand. Had a wonderful time there :rolleyes: (should have behaved better) :lolol:

Oh, my dad never laid a finger on us kids, mum was a whizz with a wet tea towel flick.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Mum with the wooden spoon or hand on bum and legs then Dad took over when i was old enough to take her soft hits without wincing.

Cane a couple times but was not the go to which is good as that thing did smart.

Cant say done me any harm to be honest

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Punishing kids with violence got illegal here in the 50s and was considered completely socially unaccepatble ten years later or so... I'm far too young to experience a society where it is common, and never experienced it myself as my dad ****ed off early and my mother is more of the psychological torture kind of woman.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
mum - wooden spoon, once a belt, I pissed off out all day and the later it got the more scared I was to come home . . .I was only about 7 or 8

schoole, slap on the back of ther hand, or a large ruler a few times. never got hit and senior school.

step dad whacked me round the ear one, **** that hurt. I had told my mum to **** off though, so fair do's.

I've never hit my lad, or any partner. Never been tempted either.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Strap end of a dogs lead off mum ,in later days became no money for Football . Dad only ever hit me twice when aged 5 and 15 ,being a 6 foot 6 18 stone giant of a man i think he knew the damage he could do . I saw it as a 16 year old when i went out with him on a night out with his mates in a nearby town . Some local started on him and continued to hurl abuse at him on the walk to the train station . The unfortunate local after Dad finally snapped ended up put through a takeaway window . School was catholic Mr Turkewiecz was a dab hand with rulers ,Chairs luzzed at you but once punishment was meted out it was left at that . The Nuns were the worst though and seemed to enjoy dishing it out.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
For myself and my brother and sister it was my father's infamous 'Greek slipper' (leather flipflop!) Made an appearance probably once a year if we'd been REALLY naughty - most of the time (i.e weekly) it was my mother's hand that smacked us.

Although once she actually hit my sister with a frying pan.....and got very worried she'd be grassed up by the neighbours, as it was just around the time Esther Ranzem (spelling?) went on her 'Childline' crusade.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wow what a thread. I only ever knew conflict. My mother attacking my father and my mother attacking us. All my front teeth were knocked out after her swinging me across a room Getting a Three pronged fork embedded in my leg and my sister being hit with a bottle.

The above is all true but

You try telling the kids of today Blah Blah I hope it’s better now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wow what a thread. I only ever knew conflict. My mother attacking my father and my mother attacking us. All my front teeth were knocked out after her swinging me across a room Getting a Three pronged fork embedded in my leg and my sister being hit with a bottle.

The above is all true but

You try telling the kids of today Blah Blah I hope it’s better now.

Strange thing is I always made excuses for her knowing what a complete ( loveable shady blagging) **** my old man was

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Fear of my dad was usually enough because of his temper. Had to barricade the bedroom door a few times to stop him throttling me.

Have to laugh looking back now on one night. Used to cover the standby red light on the tv with a coin and blue tac. Soon as I heard the stairs creak after being told no more telly, tv off with the remote and pretend to be asleep. He rumbled it one night, stormed in, turned power off and cut the plug off with scissors :laugh:

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
My late Father was a big man who commanded respect. He wasn't quick to anger, if he even raised his voice we knew to back off. But he never raised a hand to us let alone pick up something to hit his children with. Maybe because my older brother died young, I don't know.

Growing up in the 60's/70's, I had friends whose parents seemed to relish meting out physical punishment.

Late in his life, when he was frail and needed constant care, I was happy to look after him with the same kindness and compassion he showed me as a child. If my childhood had been one where I'd been regularly hit for childish misdemeanors, I honestly don't think I could have done that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here