Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] What was your mother’s or father’s weapon of choice

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I ran a Post Office for a while, there was a mother with a really annoying kid, no one else was around so I said you can whack him if you like, she said we aren't allowed nowadays but I can lock him in dark cupboard when I get home.............personally I would have preferred the short sharp whack

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I was never hit by either of my parents. That’s probably quite unusual for someone who’s in their 50s now.

It’s not as if I wasn’t naughty; I did get the cane and slipper at school a few times!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My late Father was a big man who commanded respect. He wasn't quick to anger, if he even raised his voice we knew to back off. But he never raised a hand to us let alone pick up something to hit his children with. Maybe because my older brother died young, I don't know.

Growing up in the 60's/70's, I had friends whose parents seemed to relish meting out physical punishment.

Late in his life, when he was frail and needed constant care, I was happy to look after him with the same kindness and compassion he showed me as a child. If my childhood had been one where I'd been regularly hit for childish misdemeanors, I honestly don't think I could have done that.

Nice post. My step Dad needs watching out for now, a disability soand old/frail, and I have saved him once already. The whack I got was probably deserved, I don't hold it against him. You are right though, if it had been regular unecessary beatings, why would you want to . . . that's Karma!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I appreciate people sharing their experiences on here. I was lucky, got the cain once at primary school for playing a spitting game with another lad, and the odd smack on the bum at home and that was about it. This is a sobering read and reminder to us all.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Yes the "wait til your father gets home" was horrific.....also had the slipper, slapped bum and legs and ruler whacked across open hand when at school in S Afica.....I was 7

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
step mother number 2 was cool,but then again she was only 6 years older than me

My brothers and I used to run rings round her

One day we got the 'wait until your father gets home' routine

We just laughed at her,knowing what our old man was like

Anyway we heard him come in,then come up the stairs into our bedroom
Where we were watching Cricket on an old B&W portable
He said 'what's the score,have we got so and so out yet
And went back downstairs

He passed away 20 years ago now,but I still see my old step mum from time to time and we have a right laugh about the 'good old days'

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Usually a vegetable of some variety as my dad was a market stall holder in the east end of london , at 8 I was conscripted into the world of commerce freezing cold at 4 am getting the stock loaded then off to the market for 10 hours where if I started to nod off a ballistic turnip would sail towards me , let me tell you a well aimed spud can hurt , I'm over it now as you can tell .

I saw a black eye on my Uncle Jim,
said his wife had been throwing tomatoes at him,
Tomatoes dont bruise you said I with a grin,
He said these ones did as they were in a tin.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I had two very contrasting parents. They divorced when I was young and I don't remember them being together so the two were separate entities to me.
My Dad was very strict but never raised a hand to me. Quite a big bloke so quite intimidating for a child. He never really invested any time in me so I'd spend the weekends in my bedroom and never really doing anything that warranted a telling off. As a result, we've always had a strained relationship and haven't spoken for several years now, I just don't see him as a father.
My Mum was very slap happy. She had 5 of us to deal with so I get why she lashed out, but sometimes was a bit much. I can't speak for my siblings as I don't remember, but for me it was slippers, flip flops, hair brushes, anything that could be thrown or slapped with. She only ever went for the face twice, once was after years of abuse from an older sibling, I finally had enough and beat the crap out of them and the only way to get me off was for my Mum to slap me in the face, the other time, and more memorable, she slapped me so hard that my head went through the back door window. I could see she instantly regretted it but that was essentially the end of our relationship. I wasn't an easy child and an even worse teen so I probably deserved a good slap every now and then, but I never had kids for fear of turning out like either one of my parents.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Remember putting my arm up to instinctively defend myself and mum broke her hairbrush on it, I laughed and shouted ha ha before running away downstairs. Got away with that one! :)

My Dad, steady and far less emotional, just needed to say he was disappointed and I was crushed. Such a kind gentle intelligent man. The best. I wish dementia wasn’t robbing him of his final months or years. So very sad. Love him to bits.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Ruler and slipper at school. Got whacked loads by my Dad. Always thought I’d get my own back on him once I was big enough . But I only felt sorry for him when that time came. Never laid a hand on my kids, always thought explaining right from wrong was a better option.

Did seem to be the norm growing up in the 60’/70’s.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
When my brother was small he got a tennis set for his birthday consisting of two flexible plastic racquets and a small fluffy ball. The plastic bats became the weapon of choice.

Best present he ever had... not.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I know everyone of my 3 children had a clip when they were young. None of them remember it though. Apart from my son when 16/17 where we very nearly had a tear up.. That is a great wake up call though.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My mothers main weapon was the age old "wait until your father gets home" Usually enough of a threat to stop me misbehaving immediately. The occasional slapped arse or legs was about it though.

School was worse. My maths teacher was unerringly accurate luzzing a wooden blackboard rubber and they bloody hurt! :eek:

That wasn't the psychopathic Mr Samuels at Worthing High School for Boys in the 1960s, by any chance.

And I mean psychopathic. Horrible man.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
they forced me to dance like christopher walken

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
That wasn't the psychopathic Mr Samuels at Worthing High School for Boys in the 1960s, by any chance.

And I mean psychopathic. Horrible man.

Haha. No. It was a Mrs Munro, Holy Trinity School Crawley. Late 70’s / early 80’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here